Just wondering if this happening to others.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Just wondering if this happening to others.

Postby dakota1955 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:48 pm

This past week I had some of my best finds ever in dimes, nickles and pennies. I found 66 silver dimes in a $1000 bag going all the way back to a Barber dime. I found 12 silver nickles in a $100 bag also with 5 buff and a v nickle. The copper percent was up over 3 points.
So the question is (1) did someone cashed in or (2) are people cashing in for Christmas already. In the past I have had better finds in Dec. and Jan. but this is early compared to the past. I know that next week might be a total bust. Just wondering what others are finding now.
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Just wondering if this happening to others.

Postby scyther » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:02 pm

I haven't found anything like that, but congratulations, and thanks for reminding me about Christmas cash-ins. I'll have to search more bags in the next 2 months...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:13 pm

Ditto what scythe said.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:05 pm

yeah, I will have to start sorting again. Haven't had any time since august.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:10 pm

Old men are dying. Their wifes now control the estates.

All the spare change that's been stored in ammo cans and foot lockers, for the past 50 years, is being dumped into the coinstar.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby tedandcam » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:22 pm

I am always looking to increase my searching! :wave: I just can't find anyone to give me more yet. At least without hte fear of someone saying" Enough is enough. We are cutting you off". Right now I have more accounts than my wife cares for. Every time I got a new one, she has ranted, stomped her foot and acts all weird for a week or two.

My searches have been real good the last 2 months. I could only hope to see better numbers this Dec and Jan!
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:40 pm

One time I went to my CU and they had 5, 5 gallon buckets, behind the counter, each was 2/3rds full of coin. It sounds like you got one of these types of dumps.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:08 pm

Note to self: buy a bag of dimes (maybe a dime bag too).
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:46 am

Thogey wrote:Old men are dying. Their wifes now control the estates.

All the spare change that's been stored in ammo cans and foot lockers, for the past 50 years, is being dumped into the coinstar.

ahhh, things are right in the world again......
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Saabman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:59 am

Diggin4copper wrote:
Thogey wrote:Old men are dying. Their wifes now control the estates.

ahhh, things are right in the world again......

+1000
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby hirbonzig » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:45 am

Thogey's right. The colder months also bring on pneumonia/flu at a high rate to these old men, so they die off more in the fall and winter. Then their widows can't get to the bank fast enough to get rid of their late husband's coin collection.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:47 am

hirbonzig wrote:Thogey's right. The colder months also bring on pneumonia/flu at a high rate to these old men, so they die off more in the fall and winter. Then their widows can't get to the bank fast enough to get rid of their late husband's coin collection.

Also during the holiday season from Thanksgiving to New Years old men eat a lot more and are much less physically active due to staying indoors all the time because of the cold weather. Over-eating and prolonged periods of inactivity increase the chances of heart attacks & strokes in old men. In other words eat your oatmeal and get some exercise if you old men want to keep our coins... :lol:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rosco » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:06 am

pennypicker wrote:
Also during the holiday season from Thanksgiving to New Years old men eat a lot more and are much less physically active due to staying indoors all the time because of the cold weather. Over-eating and prolonged periods of inactivity increase the chances of heart attacks & strokes in old men. In other words eat your oatmeal and get some exercise if you old men want to keep our coins... :lol:

Thanks for the Advise Children, I get that from the Wife all the time an I'm young only 76 :shh:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Rosco wrote:Thanks for the Advise Children, I get that from the Wife all the time an I'm young only 76 :shh:

Just keep eating those wild blackberries from the beautiful Willamette Valley and you'll reach 100 easily! :thumbup:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:00 pm

tedandcam wrote:I am always looking to increase my searching! :wave: I just can't find anyone to give me more yet. At least without hte fear of someone saying" Enough is enough. We are cutting you off". Right now I have more accounts than my wife cares for. Every time I got a new one, she has ranted, stomped her foot and acts all weird for a week or two.

My searches have been real good the last 2 months. I could only hope to see better numbers this Dec and Jan!

Don't worry about the banks. The time to worry is when the wife says "enough is enough, I'm cutting you off!" :shock:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby tedandcam » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:08 pm

beauanderos wrote:
tedandcam wrote:I am always looking to increase my searching! :wave: I just can't find anyone to give me more yet. At least without hte fear of someone saying" Enough is enough. We are cutting you off". Right now I have more accounts than my wife cares for. Every time I got a new one, she has ranted, stomped her foot and acts all weird for a week or two.

Don't worry about the banks. The time to worry is when the wife says "enough is enough, I'm cutting you off!" :shock:

She can do THAT!! :shock: I'm gonna have to talk to her about her decisions when she starts getting all weird and the likes ;)
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:10 pm

My latest bag had ONE silver dime. :(
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby madman326 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:09 pm

had not hunted for dimes in many months, and this post encouraged me to go out today and grab $350 fv in cwr.
happy to report i found 5 shiny roosies. nothing really stellar, but enough to get me hunting again at least till christmas.
madman326
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:17 am

The teller at my dump bank told me hunters had been cashing in coins all weekend. I never thought of that...
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby plain cents » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:52 pm

Never searched bank bags before. I know, wow! Spent the last 20 yrs hitting estate auctions/sales. Do you find much in the bags coming in from brinks trucks, or is it better to focus on the coin counting machine? Thanks (got 3 kids that need something to do this winter besides Xbox.
plain cents

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals