The 12 Days of silver continues

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

The 12 Days of silver continues

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:04 am

Got one of those nice calls from one of my branches today. They had a bunch of coins and could I come pick them up? Sure. Good thing I took 2 bags.
They had 130 rolls of pennies, 90 roll so nickels, and 114 rolls of dimes. The silver streak conitinues.. I got one silver merc out of the lot. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Re: The 12 Days of silver continues

Postby HPMBTT » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:36 pm

Great! Yesterday for me was one '64 Kennedy (90%) loose in a teller tray and 2 silver dimes in $200 in CWR dime rolls. I'll take it. The day before that, it was 3 silver dimes in $400 CWR dimes. Just like Hoard, I keep chipping away at it and adding to the pile, even if it's just a little bit at a time. :) I have hit the banks (plus new ones) every other day for the last two weeks. I have found at least one silver dime every time I got CWR's. EVERY time. I would like to hear more from others as well, however small your findings may be.

To all you RC newbies: It's all about keeping at it; don't get discouraged if you don't find much initially. Persistence pays off and Hoard's large silver dime find last week was a prime example of that.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:47 am

I have been hitting it heavier this season also. Luck was with me again today. Picked up $50 in nickels and $270 in CWR dimes. Yield.. 1 silver dime! The silver streak continues! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HPMBTT » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:05 pm

OK, so things are going OK for me too. :) Just picked a bunch of CWR's for today/Saturday. Got $3.00 loose halves only (just clad), $10 in nickels and $650 in dimes. Today's take was 3 silver dimes. Slight bonus was 5 CDN clad dimes, England 5 pence & 3 pre-60 nickels (no war nickels). I'll take it. On a side note, one of my regular tellers told me that a single person brought in a single $500 box of halves; yep, you guessed it! I passed on it. Seems this has happened lately also with another of my regular branches just 1 mile away. So since someone else is using them regularly as a dump bank, I now also use that branch as a dump bank.

And finally, I got 85 cents (3Q, 1D) in free Canadian from the magnet yesterday at the coin counter. Also forgot to add yesterday's free foreign coin from the teller: a 1954 (silver) Venezuelan Bolivar (.134 ASW, 83.5% Ag). My first one ever! And a pre-1997 CDN copper penny.

Hoard, you're up; your turn. :) (Oh wait...it's only 5pm Pacific time, so all the banks haven't closed yet. So we'll hear from him later tonight)

Anyone else find some cheap Ag today? :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HPMBTT » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Yesterday (Xmas Eve), I went to two new banks and was able to get $360 in halves and over $700 in dimes (all CWR). All of that only yielded me one silver dime. But hey, it's still a silver dime, right?? Also, the coin counter at another bank gave me a 1965 CDN silver dime, along with another free .35 Canadian. So that's two silver dimes total. I'll take it.

Merry Xmas, everyone. I hope the silver Santa has come to you this holiday season as well. :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:42 pm

Yesterday I got $234 from one bank, and $200 from another. The yield.. you guessed it.. the usual.. one silver dime! The silver streak continues. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby tedandcam » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:54 pm

I was looking for "Santa Silver" thread and could'nt find it. So, I hope its OK to post a little Chritmas silver score here. I picked up 2 boxes of dimes at one of my regular pick up banks today. First box had 43 rosies in it and the second one had 38 rosies in it :clap:
My son is gonna go back tomorrow and ask for 2 more. I hope they even half as good!
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby scyther » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:35 am

tedandcam wrote:I was looking for "Santa Silver" thread and could'nt find it. So, I hope its OK to post a little Chritmas silver score here. I picked up 2 boxes of dimes at one of my regular pick up banks today. First box had 43 rosies in it and the second one had 38 rosies in it :clap:
My son is gonna go back tomorrow and ask for 2 more. I hope they even half as good!

:shock: I'm definitely ordering some dimes tomorrow.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:16 am

Great Silver Santa story Ted. Don't just buy 2 boxes.. buy them all!

Found 2 Silver War nickels today.. the silver streak continues. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HPMBTT » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:32 pm

Glad to hear it, Ted. Keep plugging away. :) About two months ago, I was in a new area and one CWR had 23 roosies in it. So it can happen. But to get that many in a bank box is beyond fantastic!

Yesterday's teller trays and CWR's netted me five 40% halves and one silver dime.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tedandcam » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Thanks for your kind responses.

The next afternoon, I went to another bank to pick up my order for 3 halves and pass right by the bank where I got the 2 boxes of dimes. Something had been telling me not to go back so soon. I go there once a week and the vault teller gives me anything I want ( except he must order my halves). So, I make my first stop and its off to that next bank. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't bring myself to stop. I just don't want to risk being cut off for any reason.

I like risks but, not that kind. I don't hide myself very well. I am the type of person that is an open book. Greed was an overwhelmig emotion at the moment and I didn't like it. If I would have went in there and he picks up a negative vibe, it might adversely affect the repore I have built with him ( and the other tellers there). I have no regrets about my decision as foolish as it may seem.. I consider myself fortunate to get what I did and am thankful.

Now, as for next week, I am going to take as many dime boxes as he will part with. Extra funds will be in hand for the pick up. Maybe there is some more good ones left and he has put a delivry or 2 on top of them. Maybe they are all gone. No matter what, I will continue CRS and stack as much as my good fortune will allow.
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby fb101 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:33 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Got one of those nice calls from one of my branches today. They had a bunch of coins and could I come pick them up? Sure. Good thing I took 2 bags.
They had 130 rolls of pennies, 90 roll so nickels, and 114 rolls of dimes. The silver streak conitinues.. I got one silver merc out of the lot. :mrgreen:

I'm glad of that; Am I mistaken or do I remember you didn't used to be able to get bags at all only boxes?

And congrats to tedandcam
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:35 pm

i got 2 1964 rosies in $210 in dimes today
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:55 pm

fb101 wrote:
HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Got one of those nice calls from one of my branches today. They had a bunch of coins and could I come pick them up? Sure. Good thing I took 2 bags.

I'm glad of that; Am I mistaken or do I remember you didn't used to be able to get bags at all only boxes?

And congrats to tedandcam

I can still only get boxes or rolls.. never bags. The bags I took were empty carry bags.. to haul the coins out in. Today's pickup was kind of small.. not even stretching one bag. Only 22 rolls of halves, 20 rolls of nickels and 20 rolls of pennies.. but I was pretty happy with the results. Every roll hunter knows that unmistakeable sweet sound of silver as you pour the roll out into your hand. Things were looking good as I heard that sound starting with the very first roll of halves.. it had 6 40%ers in it. The second roll had 9 more! Didn't hit a solid clad roll until roll #10. Out of 22 rolls, 20 contained silver. Total.. 90 40% halves! I think that qualifies as another visit from the Silver Santa.

And of course.. for fasteddy.. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby scyther » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:14 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I can still only get boxes or rolls.. never bags. The bags I took were empty carry bags.. to haul the coins out in. Today's pickup was kind of small.. not even stretching one bag. Only 22 rolls of halves, 20 rolls of nickels and 20 rolls of pennies.. but I was pretty happy with the results. Every roll hunter knows that unmistakeable sweet sound of silver as you pour the roll out into your hand. Things were looking good as I heard that sound starting with the very first roll of halves.. it had 6 40%ers in it. The second roll had 9 more! Didn't hit a solid clad roll until roll #10. Out of 22 rolls, 20 contained silver. Total.. 90 40% halves! I think that qualifies as another visit from the Silver Santa.

And of course.. for fasteddy.. :mrgreen:

:shock: That's a lot better than my recent half box. And I thought mine was pretty good... man, this is such an easy way to make money, why don't more people do it?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:56 am

That's just amazing! All I got was one 1967 copper cent in my batch of dimes.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:28 am

scyther wrote: :shock: That's a lot better than my recent half box. And I thought mine was pretty good... man, this is such an easy way to make money, why don't more people do it?

shhhhhh.. be glad they don't. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:00 pm

So it is hard to get coins on a Sunday, but i managed to scrape up $66.50 at a grocery store bank. The good news.. I got silver again! One silver dime!

For fasteddy.. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Romalae » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:03 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:So it is hard to get coins on a Sunday, but i managed to scrape up $66.50 at a grocery store bank. The good news.. I got silver again! One silver dime!

For fasteddy.. :mrgreen:

If I've exhausted my unsearched coin loads, I get frustrated with the lack of open banks on Sunday. I know how it feels. Well, your efforts at the grocery store proved to be worth it, clearly. Congrats! Did you check the store's CoinStar machine reject bin while you were there? Always pays to make sure you're not walking by any goodies. :mrgreen:
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:03 pm

And then tonight I had some chinese food delivered to help keep up my strength while sorting pennies.. and look what was in my fortune cookie! :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:39 am

Had to do some serious soring to get my silver today.
$550 quarters
$110 dimes
$200 nickels
Yield.. 4 silver war nickels. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HPMBTT » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Nice! I only picked up $200 in dimes on NYE, but it still netted me one silver dime.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:33 am

Just glad you moved out of the neighborhood HPMBTT.. so I don't have to to compete with you for CWR. All those Silver Santa visits were from one local bank that you used to pick up at occasionally. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:09 pm

12 dollars in nickles and 180 in dimes yielded 2 war nickles and one silver Roosie...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:14 am

The Silver Santa is back in town. 65 Roosevelts in tonight's dime bag. :)
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals