Amazing Deal.. now what to do?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Amazing Deal.. now what to do?

Postby panther » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:26 pm

I'm a college student and I've been dabbling in some silver buying and selling.

I recently got a sweet deal from someone on ebay after buying one of their underpriced auctions (25 walking liberty halves for 240 shipped).. asked if they had more, turns out they have a TON.. I mean an additional 210 walking liberty halves and 27 franklins. I asked how much they wanted for the lot, they said 2150.. not a bad deal but I don't have a ton of money lying around, so I offered to do paypal only outside of ebay, saving them ebay fees, if they'd do $2000 shipped (for the 210 walking and 27 franklins) they said OK but they wanted to do it in ebay anyway (nice $140 fee for them right there? :?: )

So i just bought 235 walking liberty halves and 27 franklin halves (262 halves) for $2240 including shipping.. i could take it to local coin store/silver buyer store tuesday and snag 19.45 per face $ , or $2,567 on a purchase of $2,240..or hold onto it until silver hits $30+ again.. what do you guys think.. how long until silver hits above $30 again?
panther
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Amazing Deal.. now what to do?

Postby PennyPauper » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:19 pm

I'd hold.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Corsair » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:24 pm

Welcome to the forum.

If you can afford to use up the FRNs (I'm in college too, I know how valuable those bad boys are), I'd hold on to them. If you need the FRNs, I'd sell only enough to pay your bill - then keep the remaining silver as your profit.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:37 pm

I'd hold too. Congrats on a nice deal.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rainsonme » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:25 pm

I'd check thru them to see if any of them are key dates, mint errors, or in such good condition they would bring a premium. And sell any of those that you can get for over melf value on Ebay or Craig's list, or somewhere other than a coin shop that won't give you full value. Then hold the rest as pure silver speculation.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:16 pm

It sounds too good check them out Weight Diameter an Thickness they could be Chinese fakes :?: if so :oops: an ripped off :evil:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby justoneguy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:29 pm

Rosco wrote:It sounds too good check them out Weight Diameter an Thickness they could be Chinese fakes :?: if so :oops: an ripped off :evil:

I think, an experienced con guy would have taken him up on the offer to go outside of ebay
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tbram88 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:10 pm

I would only sell what I had to and keep the rest, If you get a few more posts you can sell some here.
In a week or two i would be happy to give you 20x on some of those walkers.

Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pennybug » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:35 pm

Let me tell you college guys a quick story...

13 years ago when I left for college... I asked my dad "what do you think I should invest in if I get a little extra money?" His response... "Well... gold is at $300 an ounce... that seems a little low. I'd buy some Gold". Well... I didn't. I also contemplated buying some silver about 5 years ago when I left a former job and was considering what to do with some retirement money. Well... I didn't do that either. After doing some calculations... let's just say I left a fortune back there! Hind sight is 20/20 as they say.... The point...

VERY SMART to be investing in silver/gold at your position! Once you get a mortgage and kids and stuff... and a better paying job... you've already trained yourself at investing! Keep up the good/smart work! And my advice... HANG ON to as much of it as you can! You may be VERY GLAD you did in a few years! :geek:
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby bman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:30 am

if you need the cash I would sell enough to get your investment back and keep the rest as "free silver"
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:29 am

Something doesn't smell right about this deal. You got these halves for 17.09X face. Halves usually bring a premium, and normally go .5 to 1X greater than face, and these are predominately Walkers, which adds another .25 to .5X to the price. So you got a bunch of halves that should be selling for close to $11 each for $8.50??? Again, when a deal sounds too good to be true, there's usually a reason. If everything does go thru smoothly, and the halves are authentic... hang onto them dearly, there is no better vehicle to invest your money in between now and April Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thedrifter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:25 am

beauanderos wrote: there is no better vehicle to invest your money in between now and April Image

Why April?
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:03 pm

thedrifter wrote:
beauanderos wrote: there is no better vehicle to invest your money in between now and April Image

Why April?

Silver shows strong seasonality. It usually peaks towards the end of April, plus or minus two weeks, then sells off fifteen to twenty percent of its gains in the following few weeks.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby bman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:20 pm

tax time?
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals