Just wondering?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Just wondering?

Postby Rastatodd » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:06 am

I keep stacking precious metals and all it does is seem to be worth less and less. Good bye and good re-dins to 2013. Here's hoping for a better 2014.
What are my fellow RC members thoughts on the state of gold/silver prices.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Just wondering?

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:42 am

Merry Xmas... I struggle with the problem of where to put the 100 or so bucks i save up each month... a savings account is a negative investment so I would rather put my money somewhere else... I have stacked a ton of copper, (literally) so I keep stacking a little silver, but I try to buy what I enjoy, and hope for a turn around. Maybe in 2014 I should try liquor and whores..... :mrgreen:
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rastatodd » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:53 am

With the stock market going gang busters, it seems like more of my money could go into my 401k and ride the wave on wall street. But there is some thing to say for having a pot of gold and or silver in the wings if stock market takes a severe turn for the worse. As for collecting copper I see that some one or some organization purchased a billion dollars in copper or copper contracts. That would be good for all that copper you are sitting on. I myself have started to gather nickel for a third leg to my stack. Here's hoping.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:07 am

Merry X-Mas to you,

I consider my physical holdings as an insurance Policy. So I hold it for the protection it gives me. I hope that I never have to sell it and therefore I hope to become that crazy grandpa.... :o that had a stash of copper, nickel, silver and gold hidden away.

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rastatodd » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:22 am

mtalbot_ca wrote:Merry X-Mas to you,

I consider my physical holdings as an insurance Policy. So I hold it for the protection it gives me. I hope that I never have to sell it and therefore I hope to become that crazy grandpa.... :o that had a stash of copper, nickel, silver and gold hidden away.

Cheers,

I know that if I have a family emergence I have the stash to fall back on. You ain't the only one with the "crazy grandpa" complex. I have it as well.
and
Merry Christmas to you all as well.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:54 am

Relative to the USD, in this phase PMs will go up and down. Don't buy with cash that you need. Buy with savings, with the objective of measuring progress in ounces not dollars. The value will maintain or go up, given time. There is some possibility that the market may grow well into the 20,000s before it all crashes. But it will crash, so the time for PMs will come again. When you look back on this time in 20 years you'll see a relatively small blip down before a large upside.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:29 am

Rastatodd wrote:I keep stacking precious metals and all it does is seem to be worth less and less. Good bye and good re-dins to 2013. Here's hoping for a better 2014.
What are my fellow RC members thoughts on the state of gold/silver prices.

I see the $$ spent on Ag as money that I can not spend on more frivolous things down the road. It is a sort of savings account. I look at it as hedging my IRA holdings and cash in the bank in a convoluted way.

I don't know what silver will do in price. It has been traded for thousand of years. Why would 21st century mankind turn their back on it unless some of the bank-connected crowd try to convince them that it is a bad asset? I sound like a Blanchard radio ad spiel, but I can see how a real, hard asset like PMs has staying power. We know the attributes of silver. You hold it, you own it, etc.

Think about trading some of your silver in 2014 to help shore up your cost basis and offer deals to others who want to immerse into ownership of it. I see that as a logical next step if you are feeling stagnant about the price action.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tedandcam » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:54 am

Diggin4copper wrote:Merry Xmas... Maybe in 2014 I should try liquor and whores..... :mrgreen:

In that order? :lol:
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:28 pm

Diggin4copper wrote: Maybe in 2014 I should try liquor and whores..... :mrgreen:

Unlike silver the price of whores keeps going up and up--at least that's what I've been told.... 8-)
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rainsonme » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:34 pm

If you buy a little silver or gold every month, you are dollar cost averaging in. So even when the price drops, if you are buying the same $$ amount each month, you are taking advantage of the price drop. For me, this is all a long term hold, and the price in the next 12 months doesnt matter much, since I am not planning to sell in the next 12 months. The drop in price only really hurts if you have to sell; otherwise, it is just a "paper-loss".
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cooyon » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:41 pm

First get the whore, then liquor.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:28 pm

the metals I've obtained have held their value over the long-term better than anything else I've put my money into (aside from children, family, books, knowledge, etc.). And are considered a store of value not something I do to play the game of "getting ahead" or "making money". When I invested, I would often consider the win or loss of my investment. Not any more. A complete change of attitude and awareness has helped. The monopoly, FRN, fake money (system) game is the only gig in town so I really don't have the option not to play at least in some small way. So yes, I still have some investments in other things aside from metals but I'm using them to cover all my bases in case I'm wrong. Which I have been about a lot of things in life. Hope I'm wrong about the decline. But, everything points and says otherwise.

Hummm, whores and liquor? Sounds like a good investment. :)
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby tractorman » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:35 pm

"I spent most of my money on beer and women ... the rest I just wasted." - Old man at the bar
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby gubni » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Prices will continue to fall or stay somewhat stable until the crash hits and they skyrocket again. I don't know when the crash will happen, but it will happen.
"Every man I meet is in some way my superior."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
gubni
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:25 pm

I don't know if this is related, but I was just reading an article which said that the top 12 primary silver mines averaged a break even production cost of $21.39 in the 3rd quarter of last year. I can't help but think that if I can get something of value cheaper than it costs to produce it, it's a good deal. Again, my thinking is probably too simplistic, but it is what it is. Weird times in which we live.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:16 pm

Liquor, whores, and Precious Metals.

Do you really need anything else? :lol:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:05 am

I'm 95% sure silver's bull market is over (and has been for years) and it will continue to decline, or at best stay the same. Whether it settles at $20, $15, $10, or $5, who's to say. I'm not buying any more for the foreseeable future (at least not for bullion value-I may still buy some silver coins I like). The only question now is to dump it at a significant loss, or hold on just in case...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:35 am

If you are 95% sure silver is at a peak it will not see again for years, why aren't you selling now? What do you think looks better than silver and why don't you have your money there? I'm not going to try to talk you out of selling. You need to follow your convictions. Do what you believe.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Saabman » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:39 am

Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby baggerman » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:57 am

Nothing has changed as far as the reasons I stack. Too much debt, corruption and manipulation still continue and will continue to increase IMO. Say what you will but I believe holding metals will be better in the long run than holding paper currencies. I have bought silver at $4 and ounce and as high as $38 an ounce and do not regret any of it. The entire world wide financial paper markets are over leveraged and at some point WILL come crumbling down. The Weimar Republic, Argentina and Zimbabwee are 3 examples of where I think we are eventually headed as a nation.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Gobirds66 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:04 pm

pennypicker wrote:
Diggin4copper wrote: Maybe in 2014 I should try liquor and whores..... :mrgreen:

Unlike silver the price of whores keeps going up and up--at least that's what I've been told.... 8-)

Yes, but he also said "but I try to buy what I enjoy, and hope for a turn around." So if he does buy a whore, and she turns around, despite the rising cost, he is likely to get more bang for his buck!

I apologize for the bad humor. It is the end of the year and all my good jokes are used up.....
If they give you lined paper, write the other way....
Gobirds66
Penny Sorter Member

Postby scyther » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:30 pm

68Camaro wrote:If you are 95% sure silver is at a peak it will not see again for years, why aren't you selling now? What do you think looks better than silver and why don't you have your money there? I'm not going to try to talk you out of selling. You need to follow your convictions. Do what you believe.

It's not at a peak- it's well over 50% off the peak. I'd be selling at a loss if I sold now, and I'd feel really stupid if I sold it right before it went up to new highs. I also don't like the idea of selling below spot to a local coin dealer, or risking selling online, when I paid full retail the first time around. Most of my money is in cash. It may be good to have a little silver just in case the whole "the fiat system is coming to an end" theory is true (or, more likely, investment money starts flowing back into silver).

I rather doubt it though, since people have been saying that since the "experiment" started 40 years ago. And people have been talking about silver's price being suppressed for who knows how long. If it's been suppressed for decades, why should I think the suppression will end anytime soon? All I can do is look at the price over the last few decades, and see that the current price is still quite high, mostly just because of fears of inflation that still hasn't materialized.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby InfleXion » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:45 pm

There's no question stocks have been the better horse in this race since the Fed decided to inject the banking system full of money.

The question is which horse is more likely to end up in the glue factory?

Are you betting on who will win this lap, or who will win the race?

Stocks will continue to be the benficiaries of excess liquidity until the rubberband snaps. When the stampede into physical assets begins you will either be on the train or you will have already missed it. There's nothing wrong with chasing dollar denominated gains, but if that were my goal I wouldn't have gotten into stacking.

My goal is longterm preservation of wealth and buying power that cannot go *poof* due to massive leverage in the financial system. I don't care how high stocks go, I'm not giving up my bird in hand. We've already seen how fragile the leveraged markets are. Getting in at all time highs with all time high leverage isn't my idea of a good time.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:Maybe in 2014 I should try liquor and whores..... :mrgreen:

I don't have any information on the whores but I recently saw a report that some
users of liquor are resorting to substitution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOCdIY_HKM4

;)
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:42 pm

Fortunately for me, I found you guys a little over a year ago, and i'm only 31. I'm getting married on New Years Eve and my future bride is ALL IN with regards to stacking.. we have a "Silver Fund" coffee can we put money in each week to periodically buy AG/AU. 2013 was my first full year stacking and I think I am in a fortunate situation in regards to where the price of PMs are as I think I have plenty of years see the price of AU/AG skyrocket.

Oh and the only difference between whores and liquor is... most liquor gets more valuable with age... most whores dont :)

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals