Closed the books on the year 2013

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Closed the books on the year 2013

Postby Rastatodd » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:17 am

It's 10:00 pm New Years Eve and my wife is in bed already. I ask myself what to do. I sit down in front of the home computer and call up my Excel program and close the books on a pretty lack luster 2013. My god our New Years was uneventful. Oh well here is what I did in the way of adding to the stack.
Added:
67.63 troy ounces of silver (AG) Did a whole lot of cost averaging with the drop in silver.
.605 troy ounces of gold (AU) Hard to add a whole lot to this stack, seem there was a lot of bills in the year 2013.
10.72 ounces of Nickel (Ni) Just started to add this to the hoard, in the coming year I hope to do better gathering all that is Canadian 99.9 in the way of nickels. I have high hopes for this alloy.
If you feel compelled tell what you have gathered. Please do. You don't need to go into great detail. Have you had a up year in buying or a down year. Let the forum know your best acquisition.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Closed the books on the year 2013

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:47 am

That's quite an accomplishment, Todd, that despite bills you were able to squirrel away that much in precious metals. Keep up the good work, it will serve you well in the future. Each individual represents a small wave of others (who don't report their acquisitions, or aren't members of forums like ours) and some day this group, with the strength of newcomers added to it, will surge up and form a tsunami of buyers that will carry silver's price to a crest. :clap: :thumbup:

What was it that convinced you it was time to start saving metal?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:54 am

beauanderos wrote:What was it that convinced you it was time to start saving metal?

Paranoia. (My answer, not Todd's.)

WTG, Todd!
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby tedandcam » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:00 pm

Rastatodd wrote:If you feel compelled tell what you have gathered. Please do.

UP Year!!

I roll searched Halves and dimes:

Dimes

104 boxes-
263 mix of Mercs and Rosies

Halves

206 boxes-
376- 40% halves
66 - 90% halves mix of walker, franklin and kennedy

97.8595 troy oz. :D

I also added 15 lbs. of Canadian .999 nickel via trade with another member.

I bought a little bit of numismatic and found a 1922 weak d Lincoln cent.

I also bought a 2005 mint set on ebay that had a large die dent error on the Kansas quarter (I spotted the coin in his pics!). $35 for the set. There are less than 24 of these known to exist. I have a guy in California that keeps upping his offer to me. Last offer was $750 for the 1 quarter! I told him I'm gonna send it in to PCGS and grade it. If its in PR70 condition, I told him its a whole new ball game! To date none have been graded PR70. Check your 2005 silver mint sets guys! There is a LARGE half moon shape dent on the buffalo's hind leg. If you have one its worth a bunch!

Refinanced the house at 2.875% :thumbup:

I also made out like a bandit on bitcoins!

Great year for the wife and I financially. Best year of our lives. My wife thinks I am crazy. Even when I show her accounts, cash,the "stack".. When I "go", she says she is gonna take the stack straight to the bank! My 17 yr old son has been in intense training as to what to do with everything :lol: . But, mom does have final say. She is an accountant and really is an intelligent person.We just differ. I know she'll listen to him...she likes the kids! :roll:

God is good. Life is hard. Don't confuse the two.

Ted
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:21 pm

I gave up on searching boxes for silver when the banks pretty much cut me off. So I've converted my hunting instincts to somewhat easier prey. I search for shifts. As an RN, I work six days each pay period. It seems other nurses I work with at my clinic and two others within ten and thirty miles are less inclined to work... so I pick up as many extra shifts as I can from them. Out of having twelve days off (not counting Sunday's) I can usually fill nine or ten of them. Used to be able to fill all twelve, but now two other RN's have figured out what I was doing and are starting to compete for extra shifts. I was lucky enough to be able to travel this year, picking up an extra six months of work on my off weeks, up in the Bay Area. Consequently, my annual net was a little over fifty percent more than usual (which was all directed into silver and gold)... and, although I don't keep track, had to add considerably to the pile :shifty:
Last edited by beauanderos on Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby pennypicker » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:28 pm

In 2013 I enjoyed my sideline of buying 1 oz generic silver rounds on the "dip" at my local coin shop. I would then sell these same rounds at the next "peak" on Craigslist for a decent profit. A somewhat risky endeavor with respect to personal safety but all in all I managed to add 131 oz of silver to my stack purchased entirely from my profits.

I'm hoping in 2014 I can acquire the knowledge of how to become a "swing trader" and make these silver trades with a online broker in paper form so that I can eliminate the risk of meeting strangers at my bank's parking lot. I must admit it is quite unnerving when a buyer gets into your car and they immediately lift their shirt to let you know they are carrying a firearm for their own protection--that has happened to me twice now.:o
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:18 pm

beauanderos wrote:I gave up on searching boxes for silver when the banks pretty much cut me off. So I've converted my hunting instincts to somewhat easier prey. I search for shifts. As an RN, I work six days each pay period. It seems other nurses I work with at my clinic and two others within ten and thirty miles are less inclined to work... so I pick up as many extra shifts as I can from them. Out of having twelve days off (not counting Sunday's) I can usually fill nine or ten of them. Used to be able to fill all twelve, but now two other RN's have figured out what I was doing and are starting to compete for extra shifts. I was lucky enough to be able to travel this year, picking up an extra six months of work on my off weeks, up in the Bay Area. Consequently, my annual net was a little over fifty percent more than usual (which was all directed into silver and gold)... and, although I don't keep track, had to add considerably to the pile :shifty:

With the yield these days (presuming you are in an area where there is a yield), that's just as good - if not better - than spending that time sorting!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby tedandcam » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:42 pm

68Camaro wrote:
beauanderos wrote:I gave up on searching boxes for silver when the banks pretty much cut me off. So I've converted my hunting instincts to somewhat easier prey. I search for shifts. As an RN, I work six days each pay period. It seems other nurses I work with at my clinic and two others within ten and thirty miles are less inclined to work... so I pick up as many extra shifts as I can from them. Out of having twelve days off (not counting Sunday's) I can usually fill nine or ten of them. Used to be able to fill all twelve, but now two other RN's have figured out what I was doing and are starting to compete for extra shifts. I was lucky enough to be able to travel this year, picking up an extra six months of work on my off weeks, up in the Bay Area. Consequently, my annual net was a little over fifty percent more than usual (which was all directed into silver and gold)... and, although I don't keep track, had to add considerably to the pile :shifty:

With the yield these days (presuming you are in an area where there is a yield), that's just as good - if not better - than spending that time sorting!

If xtra hours are available, it is definitely more lucrative to work and use xtra funds for stacking. I can maybe get 60 hours overtime a year, I am thankful yields are pretty good in my area ( avg. just over 2 dimes and just over 2 halves per box over the course of a year).
If it came on my paycheck, my wife would spend most of it. If it comes from sorting, she just complains :lol:
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:53 pm

I too did my end of the year totals for my first year of stacking. I would love to beat my total every year....

137.82 oz of AG

.430 oz of AU

and 6 Canadian Nickels, lol... just can't find any CA NI....

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:10 pm

Some very impressive numbers. First part of year I acquired CWR's like a bandit. Gave up half searches. Mid year I focused on searching after bank policy changes. Added almost half ton copper cents. About 100 poundss Canadian copper (heading south to Mike J soon). Added couple hundred silver dimes, couple hundred silver nickels and a pile of Canadian nickels.
Oh yea. Almost forgot, Bought a New house New Years Eve day, Dec 31, 2013. Had to spend all that overtime and bank dump proceed on something ( bank manager wouldn't let me dump all those coins every week otherwise.)
GOAL for 2014: pay down mortgage with all the unsearched coins still sitting around.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rastatodd » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:40 am

Ray said

What was it that convinced you it was time to start saving metal?

I bought my first ASE with a twenty dollar bill and was hooked. Precious metal was what I was going to stack for that rainy day should it come. On my third year of stacking, I have sold some only to reinvest the funds into more metal and have traded some as well. I have been lucky that I haven't had to sell any in an emergency. :thumbup:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals