What does this broken horizontal line represent?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What does this broken horizontal line represent?

Postby pennypicker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:55 am

I see this same broken horizontal line on the live spot 24 hour silver chart on Silverseek.com. Could someone please tell me what this line represents. Is it perhaps a pivot point or a weekly moving average? I'm trying to learn the "game" so I can be a better spotter of trends. Thanks for any help, Don.

AG-24HR-LG.png
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: What does this broken horizontal line represent?

Postby beauanderos » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:31 pm

pretty sure that's the closing price from the day before
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pennypicker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:25 pm

beauanderos wrote:pretty sure that's the closing price from the day before

Silver closed yesterday at $19.97 in New York so I would say you are right on. Thank you Sir. :)
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:55 am

I agree. It is DEFINITELY the prior day's close. The tricky part is trying to figure out what time that close occurred. This is because the New York Stock Exchange closes at 4pm EST, however London is where metals prices are really determined so are they using the London PM Fix which occurs much earlier in the day or using the close on the NYSE at 4pm? I'd be curious if someone else could weigh in on this...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals