Copper Bullion (not pennies) Stacking?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Copper Bullion (not pennies) Stacking?

Postby Ricky » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:57 pm

So, I've been trying to stack a little silver the past year or so. I just love the Silver American Eagles and some .999 Silver 1 oz bars, but have been noticing people are collecting/stacking copper bars & rounds more. Anyone here stacking copper in that form? Just plain curious.
Ricky

Re: Copper Bullion (not pennies) Stacking?

Postby cooyon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:12 pm

Buying copper rounds at $1 each = $16 / pound = about 5X melt value...a high cost to stack for me. I do buy assorted rounds as a collector, just for something different, but copper Lincolns are the cheapest way to stack copper. I have never considered copper bars, not sure what they sell for as a multiple of melt value, but they would also be more expensive per pound than cents.

Good to see you asking questions and getting involved on RC!
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Ricky » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:17 pm

Last fall I picked up a 1 Kilo Bar (2.2 lbs) just to try something different. Its nice to look at, has the Liberty Bell with the weight and .999 copper stamped on it. I've been sitting on it wondering what will happen with copper. Just trying some cheaper (than silver & gold) and seeing what happens.
Ricky

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:07 am

I have some copper rounds and bars myself. They are more like conversation pieces, but if copper does well in the future, then good for me! :thumbup:

It's not the core part of my stack though, but rather a means of further diversification in the metals market. From what I've read, copper does have some
potential to go up some years from now.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:40 pm

The only economical copper bullion is one cent coins, full stop. In a deflationary environment many will discount their premiums over spot as they liquidate so you can't build the premiums into your calculation of worth. With that in mind, why would you pay $1.00 for $0.33 in melt and call it an investment? I'd much rather pay $0.01 for something with $0.025 of intrinsic value. :)
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:28 pm

TwoPenniesEarned wrote:The only economical copper bullion is one cent coins, full stop. In a deflationary environment many will discount their premiums over spot as they liquidate so you can't build the premiums into your calculation of worth. With that in mind, why would you pay $1.00 for $0.33 in melt and call it an investment? I'd much rather pay $0.01 for something with $0.025 of intrinsic value. :)

I really agree with what you are saying... only thing to consider... copper rounds/bars are PURE copper and pennies are 95% copper, and from what I understand copper is really tough to work with so it makes it harder for even backyard metal-smiths to make copper bullion. That is one big reason copper rounds bear a large premium, due to being hard to smelt.

That being said.... I have both copper bullion as well as bags of copper pennies..... nothing wrong with either

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverflake » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:15 pm

When I place an order for silver at Provident metals I always tie it together with a 1 pound bar of copper that they sell for $5.86. Still a 70+% mark up, but cheap in real dollar terms. Nice looking. That shiny orange-red is attractive. Now, what I will do with 1 pound bars of copper - I have no idea. Still, interesting to hold in your hand.

Keep stacking (no matter what it is - except for paper FRNs...well have some on hand).
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Ricky » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:20 pm

Well, I just ordered several 1 0z bars from Provident Metals, they were $1 each. I hope they are as nice as their web site made them look, I'll just put them away in my box and see what happens to copper. Just additional metal to put away, with high hopes, like Silver too.
Ricky

Postby slvrbck » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:13 am

I stack copper pipe and wire. Generally 99.99 pure and easily recognizable. That's my bullion and can generally be had for less than spot
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 pm

slvrbck wrote:I stack copper pipe and wire. Generally 99.99 pure and easily recognizable. That's my bullion and can generally be had for less than spot

:thumbup:

Plus, it's already in a usable form. I'd much rather have a roll of Romex than an equal weight of copper rounds.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:11 pm

Ricky wrote:Well, I just ordered several 1 0z bars from Provident Metals, they were $1 each. I hope they are as nice as their web site made them look, I'll just put them away in my box and see what happens to copper. Just additional metal to put away, with high hopes, like Silver too.

I think you will be pleased. THe copper rounds are very attractive looking.. I sometimes wish they were worth $10 a piece because of how nice they look!!! :D

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:09 pm

TwoPenniesEarned wrote:The only economical copper bullion is one cent coins, full stop. In a deflationary environment many will discount their premiums over spot as they liquidate so you can't build the premiums into your calculation of worth. With that in mind, why would you pay $1.00 for $0.33 in melt and call it an investment? I'd much rather pay $0.01 for something with $0.025 of intrinsic value. :)

+1
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby InfleXion » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:22 pm

CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:

I really agree with what you are saying... only thing to consider... copper rounds/bars are PURE copper and pennies are 95% copper, and from what I understand copper is really tough to work with so it makes it harder for even backyard metal-smiths to make copper bullion. That is one big reason copper rounds bear a large premium, due to being hard to smelt.

That being said.... I have both copper bullion as well as bags of copper pennies..... nothing wrong with either

-The Great

The refinement process is a big part of why pure copper is nowhere near melt. The cost involved ensures you will never get it for spot so I don't worry about it since the resale value should always be there as long as you find a decent deal. If I can get 1 oz copper rounds for 60-80 cents I will jump on it because $1 is the cheapest retail price you can look to match.

I agree with Clint, and have a couple nice big bags of Canadian copper pennies as well. I figure since they are discontinued it's a potential collector play and a guaranteed metal play. Plus they are 98% instead of 95% like the US coppers.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Ricky » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:16 pm

I also save older us pennies (before 1982) to just put away for now. 95% copper is good too but having got into stacking silver .999 bars, I am also trying the 1 oz pure copper just for the variety of it. I haven't got my order from Provident yet but if I can I'll post a picture of them.
Ricky

Postby Ricky » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:21 pm

I'm just to trying to add a picture, here is my recent silver bars from Silvertowne. Does this work?
Attachments
eagle & shield 001.jpg
Here's a picture of my recent silver. Love them!
eagle & shield 001.jpg (20.39 KiB) Viewed 523 times
Ricky

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:08 pm

Engineer wrote:
slvrbck wrote:I stack copper pipe and wire. Generally 99.99 pure and easily recognizable. That's my bullion and can generally be had for less than spot

:thumbup:

Plus, it's already in a usable form. I'd much rather have a roll of Romex than an equal weight of copper rounds.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both sides. I certainly don't know everything there is to know about cabling, but one of the problems with cabling as opposed to copper bars or even pennies is that it would take up a LOT more space. For someone who has a ranch with 50 or more acres, not a big deal. Most of us probably don't have enough space to store something like a large quantity of cable on a heavy duty spool.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:00 pm

InfleXion wrote:
CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:

-The Great

The refinement process is a big part of why pure copper is nowhere near melt. The cost involved ensures you will never get it for spot so I don't worry about it since the resale value should always be there as long as you find a decent deal. If I can get 1 oz copper rounds for 60-80 cents I will jump on it because $1 is the cheapest retail price you can look to match.

I agree with Clint, and have a couple nice big bags of Canadian copper pennies as well. I figure since they are discontinued it's a potential collector play and a guaranteed metal play. Plus they are 98% instead of 95% like the US coppers.

Excellent points! I like knowing that I have a fairly good size amount of Canadian coppers too!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:02 pm

Ricky wrote:I also save older us pennies (before 1982) to just put away for now. 95% copper is good too but having got into stacking silver .999 bars, I am also trying the 1 oz pure copper just for the variety of it. I haven't got my order from Provident yet but if I can I'll post a picture of them.

Provident is a decent company. I've placed several orders with them without any issues.

APMEX isn't bad either.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Ricky » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:43 pm

I got the order from Provident yesterday. Very nice copper bars! I really like the Saint Gaudens ones, super to look at. So I put them away and to see what happens with copper, along with my older pennies and some silver. Keep stacking!
Ricky

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:48 pm

Ricky wrote:I got the order from Provident yesterday. Very nice copper bars! I really like the Saint Gaudens ones, super to look at. So I put them away and to see what happens with copper, along with my older pennies and some silver. Keep stacking!

I have some of those ones too! I like the Bears/Bull copper rounds. :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals