Gold/Silver Ratio

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Gold/Silver Ratio

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:30 pm

I was just wondering if any of you take the gold/silver ratio into account when you are deciding what to buy and if any of you have any knowledge about why it is what it is and where it should be. Right now, it's sitting around 63/1, which seems high to me. I know it's been everywhere from roughly 18/1 to 100/1 in the last 30 years, but it was historically closer to 16/1. Is there a reason that it's been so high lately?

My thinking is that if I buy silver at 63/1, I can convert some of that to gold when the ratio is more favorable. Does anyone else do this, or do you just go with whatever deal happens to present itself? I'm just curious.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Gold/Silver Ratio

Postby joemac » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:16 pm

I'm only buying silver right now because of this. I intend to trade silver for gold when the ratio rights itself. This turns pm's into an active investment like something that pays dividends.

If you really want good commentary on the subject Franklin Sanders is even who David Morgan recommends.
joemac
Penny Sorter Member

Postby silverstacker » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:39 pm

I'm currently on a silver spree but do take advantage of gold when the price is right. At these silver rates its tough not to jump on the deals right now i.e APMEX ASE deals.
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:39 pm

since 1971 the game has changed. Nothing wrong with keeping an eye on this. I'm stacking a lot more now that it is above 60. I nailed it back when it went down below 40... every little bit helps...
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silverfondler » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:24 pm

It is being manipulated pretty bad by big players. I agree it is historically closer to 16 to 1. In my mind two things will happen either silver will shoot up and correct itself to the correct ratio. Meaning that Silver is the most under-valued asset of our time currently. OR, gold will correct itself in the near future and drop to its correct value. Meaning it is the most over valued asset of our time.

Either way I am betting on silver going up and looking at our current time as a fire-sale on Silver. I try to keep my stacking at a 90% silver to 10% gold.
Silverfondler
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals