Selling on ebay

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Selling on ebay

Postby AdamsSamoa » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:52 am

I have been searching the old ebay threads this morning, but can not find what I am looking for. Does anyone have any advise on buying a hundred or so one troy oz bars from a dealer, then flipping them on ebay in one oz lots? I have never sold on ebay. l understand there are fees... other expenses like packaging and shipping. It just seems to me that one could make a few dollars a transaction....... seeing how my wife is currently unemployed and i would be happy to keep any left overs if it does not work out..... Any thoughts?
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Selling on ebay

Postby beauanderos » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:55 am

ask Thogey... but I'm thinking it would be more trouble (recordkeeping/regulations/fees) than it was worth. A lot of effort to make (possibly) a little bit of money. And if the price dropped, even marginally, from your original purchase price... you'd be lucky to break even.

That said... if you can buy something like you're talking about, during a significant dip, then you can resell for a profit... just do it here or at bullionstacker.com to avoid all the fees. :D
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:00 am

Lots of competition on e-bay these days from Apmex and other big companies. My advice is try to find something to buy that is not being sold there that is still really cool.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby mrrosado » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:09 am

A company called tictail.com exists. I'm building a web store to give Evangelization tools away or at low cost at fatherrosado.tictail.com I don't know anything about regulations and stuff but tictail doesn't have fees unless you buy their apps. You might want to buy the domain name app though. I think it's $1.99 a month plus the cost of the domain name itself. I only pay about $15/year per domain name (it's high but I like the company I use.)
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:07 pm

eBay fee calculator: http://www.fees.ebay.com/feeweb/feecalculator

Your insertion fees are free for your first 50 listings per month, after that it costs $0.30 to list an item.

eBay takes 10% of the grand total (auction price + shipping price) and PayPal takes another 2.9% + $0.30.

You are competing against thousands of individual sellers and several large dealers who get big breaks on the fees.

So let's run some numbers, based on 50 listings a month so there are no insertion fees.

Spot is $20.
Let's say you get some generic bars for $1 over spot, $21.
Based on items sold in the last 12 hours, you get $24.50 each, offering free shipping.

$24.50 sell price
- $21.00 cost
- $2.45 eBay fees
- $1.04 PayPal fees
- $1.98 First Class postage
- $0.50 bubble mailer, tape, shipping label, packing slip
= NEGATIVE $2.47 Profit

If you pay for a basic eBay store subscription, you get 150 free insertions a month instead of 50 and the final value fee for the bullion category drops to 6% (9% pretty much everywhere else). Then it would look like this:

$24.50 sell price
- $21.00 cost
- $1.47 eBay fees
- $1.04 PayPal fees
- $1.98 First Class postage
- $0.50 bubble mailer, tape, shipping label, packing slip
- $0.16 eBay store fee (assuming 100 listings a month)
= NEGATIVE $1.65 Profit

Then you always have the risk of spot moving against you, packages getting lost, buyers filing false claims, etc.

Unless you can buy for less than spot, and/or find something that nobody else is selling on eBay so it commands a higher premium, trying to flip generic bullion on eBay for a profit is not a very viable venture. Individuals that are selling may have purchased at lower spot prices. The mid-range sellers get Powerseller and Top Rated discounts on fees. The big bullion companies that sell on eBay have special arrangements with minimal fees because they draw traffic to eBay.

If you buy during a dip and sell when spot goes back up a couple bucks, then you can squeeze out a small profit. But you would be just as well off selling here, as the lower selling price would be offset by having no fees.
natsb88

Postby silverstacker » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:50 pm

I have had some luck selling "Art Bars" and unique silver but thats it. If your thinking of flipping standard generic rounds or bars there is way to much comptition out there. Unique items and poured bars can be rewarding as these items can bring a nice profit.
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:37 pm

E-bay is a good place to sell those low purity foreign coins.

I've bought that kind of stuff here for a nice flip on e-bay.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby AdamsSamoa » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:42 pm

Thanks.... that is whated to know...
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:51 pm

Thank you all..........
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member