How did you get from there to here?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How did you get from there to here?

Postby beauanderos » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:10 pm

According to reliable sources (of course, they're all guestimating :lol:) ... as few as one percent of the public owns precious metals. My question is directed towards anyone who has joined Realcent (and or BullionStacker) in the last two years. What changed in your thinking that compelled you to seek out and begin stacking silver and gold? If there are one percent who are actively buying, then surely that means there are three percent who are strongly considering beginning to buy, and another five percent or so who are aware of the deepening problems besetting the United States (and globally) and wondering if maybe they should pare back on their equities and/or question the wisdom of acquiring a precious metals component to their asset allocations.

So what was your impetus? What pushed you enough that you have begun to cautiously accumulate (or gone bonkers buying :clap: ) silver and gold when you see a good buying opportunity? I imagine there are many in our community who are strongly convicted that an ample stack of silver and gold is the correct position to maintain... and yet many, I sense, are unable to buy as much, or as frequently as they would hope... due to whatever sudden crisis they are afflicted by.

We all recognize how much true inflation is besetting each of us... those of you who have started to seriously budget so that you could buy your metals... what was the switch that clicked in your brain that led to your own epiphany? ("I really need to buy metals, and I better hurry before everyone else gets the same idea... and while prices are low.")
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: How did you get from there to here?

Postby theo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:20 pm

Like most of us, what led me here was a combination of personal and environmental factors. My personal characteristics are pretty much what you'd expect. Although I'm not the most original thinker around, I tend to question the status quo if it doesn't make sense to me. This trait is getting worse as I get older. Also, I try to be a strategic thinker. I've always enjoyed chess and military history. This greatly influences the way I invest and prepare. But most of all I hate being taken advantage of. The idea that certain interests in government and banking seem to be conspiring to take from me is . . . (How should I put this?). . very motivating.

Then there the are environmental influences; I've been teaching college economics (both macro and micro) for the past 12 years or so. Even before I started investing in PMs I implicitly understood that there was an unsustainable quality to this economy. However it took the 2008 crisis to demonstrate to me how unstable our financial system actually is. The final straw for me was Madoff. I remember sitting in my car on a dreary January morning in 2009 listening to Bloomberg news and realizing the magnitude of the scam. $50 Billion!! One financial analyst remarked that this ponzi scheme grew so large that those close to it (investors, gov't regulators, the financial press) refused acknowledge the corruption for years despite clear signs of irregularities. My next thought was, "Couldn't you say the same thing about our financial system?" Since then, I've been known to describe our banking system as "The largest price fixing scheme is human history."
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:06 pm

Theo, it's interesting that you're an economics professor. Are there courses you teach that following the syllabus forces you to recant strongly held personal beliefs? Is there much, if any, deference paid to Austrian school economics?
And, when faced with the quandary of promulgating the company line versus what critical thinking would lead you to believe... which path do you follow? Could you get in trouble as a professor for not holding "the company line?"
I'm under the impression that you could graduate with a degree in Economics nowadays without really learning how things truly operate. Keynesian vs Von Mises type stuff?
beauanderos

Postby Engineer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:30 pm

beauanderos wrote:I'm under the impression that you could graduate with a degree in Economics nowadays without really learning how things truly operate. Keynesian vs Von Mises type stuff?

I've been reading up on the Social Credit theory lately. Although the Canadian movement was eventually routed by the central bankers, it seems to have led to a better social condition than we have in the US.

It wouldn't surprise me to see an attempted revival of the US movement as things get progressively worse under the Fed.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby theo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:51 pm

First off, I'm not a professor. I'm an adjunct instructor at one of the area Community Colleges. Along with economics, I teach accounting, bus law, management and marketing. But, recently its been mostly accounting and economics.

The college I teach at (and specifically my dept.) has a "hands off" approach to teaching. I'm required to hand in a copy of of my syllabus and as long as it covers the core topics of my course my boss seems content. Although other depts at my college mandate standardized tests mine does not. As far as I know, the administration has never seen one of my tests.

Basically I have considerable leeway as to how run my class. However, I do not teach "the world according to Theo;" I've had my fill of teachers who use their course as a platform for their agenda. I present the various arguments as I understand them and the facts as I know them. Beyond that I allow the students make up their own minds.

I follow the text pretty closely, but fortunately it gives me enough support to discuss pretty much any point of view (including ours). For example, it spends the better part of two chapters discussing the theory and mechanics of the market system. It ends the second chapter with a strong condemnation of rent controls. This has also lead to some lively discussions on the minimum wage. Any student who takes one my classes gets a heavy dose of free-market capitalism. Sadly this is usually the first real exposure they've had to Adam Smith and the invisible hand. Do I present the Keynesian Model? Of course, but I present it as a theory along with its rationale and criticisms. As I explain in class Keynes himself would disapprove of the debt levels the government has built up. Other things students are treated to in my class:

Austrian Economics: "Trust the free markets for everything, including money."

A discussion of monetary history; including gold and silver.

The chance to handle 90% silver, usually for the first time.

A discussion of the fractional reserve system. The text is surprisingly frank about this.

A government-critical presentation of the 2008 crisis. Including a discussion of moral hazard.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CtrlAltBernanke » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:56 am

I think I may have mentioned in the past that the first thing for me was when Canada got rid of the penny. It made me wonder what was going on so I started to do a lot of reading and eventually read some online article, maybe Newsweek or Time, that led me to this forum. Once I found this forum I couldn't stop reading it. I went through a few years worth of posts in little time. Then I eventually found BrotherJohnF and Chris Duane before I realized Duane was a shyster and then I pulled the trigger on my first purchase, ten ASE's from APMEX. After that it has become an addiction.
CtrlAltBernanke
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:02 am

theo wrote:First off, I'm not a professor. I'm an adjunct instructor at one of the area Community Colleges. Along with economics, I teach accounting, bus law, management and marketing. But, recently its been mostly accounting and economics.

The college I teach at (and specifically my dept.) has a "hands off" approach to teaching. I'm required to hand in a copy of of my syllabus and as long as it covers the core topics of my course my boss seems content. Although other depts at my college mandate standardized tests mine does not. As far as I know, the administration has never seen one of my tests.

Basically I have considerable leeway as to how run my class. However, I do not teach "the world according to Theo;" I've had my fill of teachers who use their course as a platform for their agenda. I present the various arguments as I understand them and the facts as I know them. Beyond that I allow the students make up their own minds.

I follow the text pretty closely, but fortunately it gives me enough support to discuss pretty much any point of view (including ours). For example, it spends the better part of two chapters discussing the theory and mechanics of the market system. It ends the second chapter with a strong condemnation of rent controls. This has also lead to some lively discussions on the minimum wage. Any student who takes one my classes gets a heavy dose of free-market capitalism. Sadly this is usually the first real exposure they've had to Adam Smith and the invisible hand. Do I present the Keynesian Model? Of course, but I present it as a theory along with its rationale and criticisms. As I explain in class Keynes himself would disapprove of the debt levels the government has built up. Other things students are treated to in my class:

Austrian Economics: "Trust the free markets for everything, including money."

A discussion of monetary history; including gold and silver.

The chance to handle 90% silver, usually for the first time.

A discussion of the fractional reserve system. The text is surprisingly frank about this.

A government-critical presentation of the 2008 crisis. Including a discussion of moral hazard.

+1 at least within your sphere of influence, your kids will benefit from a renaissance of critical thinking :thumbup:
beauanderos

Postby smackvay » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:46 am

I started kind of by accident, I'm always investing in stuff: boats, motorcycles, tons of guns, anything at a good deal that can be flipped later. So I had $2,000 sitting in my safe and it bothers me that it was sitting there for like a month and after a month was still only worth $2,000 not worth one penny more or less and no potential to change either. So I talk to a local investor and he said buy some metal and start off slow for 6 months to understand what to buy and how to buy it. That's exactly what I did and About 14 months later I have a few things made of silver and gold laying around and the 2 grand I started with has blossomed into a number im VERY proud of. It has taken ALOT of work hitting up all the shops and dealing with people to get my connections, but I have a nice route I travel every 2 weeks and I usually do all right. I just started buying junk gold/sterling/diamonds in the last month and started the whole refiner trip stuff. I was injured at my work in late Nov and im unsure if I will go back due to my enjoyment/success of what im doing. My surgery is Tuesday so im a nervous as ive never had any kind of surgery before so we shall see how that goes.
sry to ramble and thank you to all the members that have helped me with my metal education
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TJMatt » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:39 am

Here's my story:
I was coming back from Iraq for the first time in 2010 and I had a small amount of money I was looking to invest. After being back in States for a week or so I went over to a family friend's house to check out his new shotgun. He proceeded to open his safe and a rather odd looking red box surrounded by various types of ammo caught my eye. My friend stared at me, then back into his safe before asking me …”What is the most money you’ve ever held in one hand???” I don’t remember exactly how I answered, but I soon found myself holding 5 plastic tubes. I rememeber saying something about how heavy they were and I was soon told that I was holding roughly $140,000 dollars worth of gold! After I fought the urge to run (J/K), I began to pick my friends brain on all sorts of precious metal related topics. I may not know much, but I know that my friend is an incredibly blessed individual. It seems everything he touches turns profitable. He is one of those older guys that when he speaks, you listen....I could tell you story after story on this individual, but i'll try to stay on toipic.

Over the next month or so while i was home i continued to talk with my friend about the precious metals market. He soon suggested I get my toes wet in some 90% junk silver. I knew i couldn't really afford any gold at the time so i began buying 90% rosie dimes off of eBay. Looking back at all the small deals i made on eBay, i know realize i was WAY over paying for things. I guess my lessons were actually cheap compared to many other stories i have heard. One particular eBay auction referenced Coinflation for the current melt price on dimes. I soon found myself checking Coinflation on a daily basis to see the updated spot price as well as read the informative articles. After a few months of reading, one Coinflation article reference Realcent and that's how i found this place. Now I realize most all of you here know nothing about me, but i am constantly deployed overseas (roughly 9-10 months a year...I'm in Africa right now as i type this). I owe many of you on this forum a BIG thanks for helping me add to my meager stack. I guess i am just thankful and blessed to have a great job and a family who supports me in everything i do. I know it is off topic, but i want to say a quick thank you to all who post on this Forum. I have learned an immense amount of information from all of you and the daily stories help my deployments go by that much quicker. I am typically the "Old Man" of my group so i get to talk with the youngins about proper investments. I am always pushing the 19 and 20 year olds to stop paying so much attention to the now, but rather invest for the future.
TJMatt
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:51 am

TJMatt wrote:Here's my story:
I was coming back from Iraq for the first time in 2010 and I had a small amount of money I was looking to invest. After being back in States for a week or so I went over to a family friend's house to check out his new shotgun. He proceeded to open his safe and a rather odd looking red box surrounded by various types of ammo caught my eye. My friend stared at me, then back into his safe before asking me …”What is the most money you’ve ever held in one hand???” I don’t remember exactly how I answered, but I soon found myself holding 5 plastic tubes. I rememeber saying something about how heavy they were and I was soon told that I was holding roughly $140,000 dollars worth of gold! After I fought the urge to run (J/K), I began to pick my friends brain on all sorts of precious metal related topics. I may not know much, but I know that my friend is an incredibly blessed individual. It seems everything he touches turns profitable. He is one of those older guys that when he speaks, you listen....I could tell you story after story on this individual, but i'll try to stay on toipic.

Over the next month or so while i was home i continued to talk with my friend about the precious metals market. He soon suggested I get my toes wet in some 90% junk silver. I knew i couldn't really afford any gold at the time so i began buying 90% rosie dimes off of eBay. Looking back at all the small deals i made on eBay, i know realize i was WAY over paying for things. I guess my lessons were actually cheap compared to many other stories i have heard. One particular eBay auction referenced Coinflation for the current melt price on dimes. I soon found myself checking Coinflation on a daily basis to see the updated spot price as well as read the informative articles. After a few months of reading, one Coinflation article reference Realcent and that's how i found this place. Now I realize most all of you here know nothing about me, but i am constantly deployed overseas (roughly 9-10 months a year...I'm in Africa right now as i type this). I owe many of you on this forum a BIG thanks for helping me add to my meager stack. I guess i am just thankful and blessed to have a great job and a family who supports me in everything i do. I know it is off topic, but i want to say a quick thank you to all who post on this Forum. I have learned an immense amount of information from all of you and the daily stories help my deployments go by that much quicker. I am typically the "Old Man" of my group so i get to talk with the youngins about proper investments. I am always pushing the 19 and 20 year olds to stop paying so much attention to the now, but rather invest for the future.

Good story, Nice to see the progression of thought and actions. Kind of a Snowball effect from the safe then onward. Thanks for posting.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Gobirds66 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:20 pm

My Story:

Well, as a kid, I never really had anyone to talk about things like investing and so forth. My dad was a federal government worker with a pension plan that he would always have until he died, my mom was a stay at home mom, and my one grandfather was a foreman at a steel plant, again, with a great pension. As I grew up, I saw my grandfather retire and find a guy to invest his money. I never had interest in investing as a kid as I always wanted to go play ball, but I noticed he always had money to take us places and go on vacations, so he was doing well. He took hits in the market in the 80's like everyone but he still did well. My grandmother never liked the market and kept all her money in the bank. Well, I needed to invest but no idea where, when, or how and I never wanted to ask my grandfather.

Well, I went into the military for life. And, life lasted 6 years because the economy was booming in the 1990's and I was in tech, so I was set for life. I got out, got a job, started investing in the 401K. This is pretty easy stuff. The company matched my contributions and after 40 years, I would use compounding to make my fortune. Well, after 9/11, I started listening to talk radio and I heard everyday about gold going higher and higher. The investment folks on the radio said it was never going to last and not to invest because $400 an ounce will not last. Well, I had no idea where to buy gold, so I just kept socking into the 401K because slow and steady wins the race.

then my grandfather died after a long stay in assisted living. He gave us all a nice chunk even after the tax man and it being split up among all the family. It paid for my wedding, honeymoon, and a down payment on a house. At that point, I looked at my 401K and realized that what I was doing was simply not going to work. I needed other things. So I started trying to educate myself on stocks but with so much advice, and so many numbers, I did not know where to start and I did not want to be the guy that makes his broker rich and never sees any of the money. So I started paying off my house. I decided that real estate was something I could understand and I could buy more properties and rent to folks once I had enough equity (in my area, real estate does better than most areas even in bad economies). So I had my path. Then the revelation hit.

We started sorting out my grandfather's stuff. I got his WWII stuff and we split a box of coins. They were old, and my mom asked me to do research and split them fairly. So I did. In the research I saw just how much they could be worth. Most were common dates and such, but I saw dollar signs. I knew coins had silver, but the old coins kinda got me interested. Not long after this, I was riding the motorcycle and stopped off at McD's for a McDouble. I gave the guy 2 bucks and he gave me change, and in the change was a 1961 Franklin Half. This was a sign from my grandfather that I should get off my but and collect old coins. So I started researching what to buy. I watched those overprice coin shows on cable, I got on the web, and I started getting knowledgeable. This was April 2011, so my sign from my grandfather coupled with the rising price of silver got me hooked.

I found an LCS who is owned by a older guy. Runs it out of his house, and is semi-retired. He took the time to explain all the kinds of silver and why and how I may want to consider buying. I did not have enough for gold so I started the focus on silver. I went home, cashed in all $1700 of my circulated state quarters (that I thought may be worth something) and ran back to buy silver at $49 an ounce. That was the start. Then the price started falling.

Well, I could stay in and hope it went up again, or get out and take my losses. So, not wanting to take a loss, I started buying on the way down. I learned what Dollar Cost Averaging was. If the prices would have gone up, I probably would have just taken a gain at some point and gotten out of silver and gold.....so losing money right off the bat was the thing that kept me going. Now my DCA is way low due to the pricing and the volume I buy that I stand a chance over time to create some wealth from this. Worst case, it is a store of wealth, but I will likely benefit given I have time on my side.

I also decided that sorting in my free time could benefit me and it was a calming hobby for me. I started with pennies, graduated to pennies and nickels, and will take a crack at halves and quarters if I get the chance. That really brings the DCA down. LOL! I save the copper bullion and wheats, as well as War Nickels and pre-60's. I sell some of the copper bullion and pre-60's Jeffersons if the price is right, but otherwise I just save. My proceeds go back into the kitty to get more coin from the bank. My bank is great with ordering me coin, so it works out well.

Since then, I have used the silver/gold market to teach myself more about the stock market and I am starting to feel more comfortable with that. Soon I will slowly dive into that as well. Of course, I still have the 401K. I may not ever be independently wealthy, but I am making strides to be able to live once I retire.
If they give you lined paper, write the other way....
Gobirds66
Penny Sorter Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:37 pm

great story, gobirds66! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup: How old are you now? You seem to be on the right track, but I don't know if anyone who is a decade or more away from retirement will ever be able to use that option. I think that "retirement" was a cultural, age-specific phenomena that the Boomers parents got to enjoy. It's been downhill ever since (1971) :roll:
beauanderos

Postby Gobirds66 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:29 pm

beauanderos wrote:great story, gobirds66! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup: How old are you now? You seem to be on the right track, but I don't know if anyone who is a decade or more away from retirement will ever be able to use that option. I think that "retirement" was a cultural, age-specific phenomena that the Boomers parents got to enjoy. It's been downhill ever since (1971) :roll:

42 now so I have awhile for this to work. I have this dream that I will become independently wealthy one day and that will allow me to retire. Gotta have a dream to get to a goal. Once a goal it will get a plan. Once a plan it is simply execution. I am somewhere between Dream and Goal. I think I am closer to Dream though!!!!! LOL!
If they give you lined paper, write the other way....
Gobirds66
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Provincial4nstar » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:24 pm

My story.
Hello all. My name is Jonathan and the weird username is a hybrid of last names both mine and my fiancé. We were drinking one night and came up with it early in our relationship. I joined realcent at that same time at least a couple of years ago. I rarely post but visit the site almost daily. I want to take a second and thank everyone here for the wonderfull information and education I receive from this site. I started hoarding CU pennies, found this site by way of coinflation then started getting crazy about silver. My dad started giving me silver eagles for Christmas every year starting around 2008. However i never really got "hooked" until silver took off to $50 then came back to $30. That price action really got my attention! ive been cost averaging ever since but the most i have ever paid is $36. I work as a family resource specialist and anger management counselor. i see the "underbelly" of our country each day up close and personal. I work with the homeless, court ordered, drug dependent, truant and dependent kids, M.H. And DPW systems etc. Our system is beyond broken and the money is disappearing. Ten years ago, when I graduated college and got my first job, money in my county was abundant. Juvenile probation or CYS had no limitation regarding services. However, times are changing. Kids may miss two years of school before they are court ordered to placement or alternative schooling. The homeless crisis is spiraling out of control along with food stamp assistance. Methadone clinics are springing up all over the place. Only stupid people are breeding. What I have seen over the past ten years has made me so much more aware of how rapid the craziness is spreading. I just have this feeling that real money is gonna catch on and when it does its gonna be too late for most people to get their hands on it.
Provincial4nstar

Postby Thogey » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Only stupid people are breeding.

What does this mean?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:42 pm

Provincial4nstar wrote:My story.
Hello all. My name is Jonathan . . . (snip) I work as a family resource specialist and anger management counselor. i see the "underbelly" of our country each day up close and personal. . . (snip) Our system is beyond broken and the money is disappearing . . . (snip) What I have seen over the past ten years has made me so much more aware of how rapid the craziness is spreading. (snip)

Jonathan:

Please do post more. I consider you in a profession that has it's finger on the pulse of our society and would greatly appreciate your sharing the world thru your eyes. I suspect you will see the signs of the SHTF decline before most and likely share an essential signal most or others of us might miss. If you see or experience something that might be important please share. Such as what you have posted above.

Thank you in advance,
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:57 pm

theo wrote:First off, I'm not a professor. (snip) I teach (snip). The college (snip) administration has never seen one of my tests. Basically I have considerable leeway (snip). I present the various arguments (snip). Beyond that I allow the students make up their own minds. Including a discussion of moral hazard.

Me thinks it time to call you theo + Socrates = theocrates :D :angel:

Forgive again for highjacking the thread. I just couldn't help myself.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:58 pm

Thogey wrote:

What does this mean?

I have noticed that career minded / ambitious people do not procreate until later in life often bearing less children or maybe none at all. Are these folks smarter?....Not necessarily. However, more often than not they are in fact more educated. ie. I know zero female doctors with 3 different baby's daddy's.

Next question.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby currencydebasement » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:25 am

I started buying during the first Iraq War; I was a junior in High School. I had to call in on the phone to a local shop to get the daily prices of the metals. I've been listening to people emphatically proclaim $100 silver and $5000 gold for over 20 years now so I am pretty much immune to that sort of talk, regardless of the economy.

Why? Something about fiat money bothered me, I guess I was just born that way.
Full time coin hoarder, part time attorney* (licensed to practice in CA and DC)
http://www.currencydebasement.com
currencydebasement

Postby beauanderos » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:25 am

Rodebaugh wrote:
Thogey wrote:

What does this mean?

I have noticed that career minded / ambitious people do not procreate until later in life often bearing less children or maybe none at all. Are these folks smarter?....Not necessarily. However, more often than not they are in fact more educated. ie. I know zero female doctors with 3 different baby's daddy's.

Next question.

probably ignorant would have been a more fitting descriptor. They are certainly street smart in regards to playing the system :roll: :thumbdown: :sick:
beauanderos

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:22 am

In my example, IQ=130, no kids. 57 this year, but I ain't dead yet. Men can father a child at any age.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:30 am

IdahoCopper wrote:In my example, IQ=130, no kids. 57 this year, but I ain't dead yet. Men can father a child at any age.

after the onset of TEOTWAWKI, you can meet some young hula babe on your pelagic peregrinations, mate, and create some little spear-chucking fishermen and coconut tree climbers to cater to every one of Dad's needs. Be sure to pack the entire Gilligan's Island DVD set as an almanac. :shifty: :wave:
beauanderos

Postby Thogey » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:02 am

Rodebaugh wrote:I have noticed that career minded / ambitious people do not procreate until later in life often bearing less children or maybe none at all. Are these folks smarter?....Not necessarily. However, more often than not they are in fact more educated. ie. I know zero female doctors with 3 different baby's daddy's.

Next question.

This is pretty goddam far from "only stupid people are breeding".

But if that is the basis for the comment, that somehow people who choose not to have kids are in someway superior to those that do. I would have to disagree. Of course you don't have doctors with 3 baby daddys.

The sequence is supposed to go like this. You secure a spouse, than you "breed" and raise the children as a joint venture.

So people who do this are stupid? I'll compare my Curriculum Vitae‎ with anyone here!

Sorry to derail the thread. I just thought the comment was a bit thoughtless and felt the need to defend those of us who have taken advantage of the greatest privilege life affords us.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby theo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:16 am

johnbrickner wrote:
theo wrote:First off, I'm not a professor. (snip) I teach (snip). The college (snip) administration has never seen one of my tests. Basically I have considerable leeway (snip). I present the various arguments (snip). Beyond that I allow the students make up their own minds. Including a discussion of moral hazard.

Me thinks it time to call you theo + Socrates = theocrates :D :angel:

Forgive again for highjacking the thread. I just couldn't help myself.

:lol: Please. I'm not quite there yet. . just ask my wife. On the other hand, teaching in a robe might be appealing as it wouldn't take as much time to get ready in the morning.

Engineer wrote:
beauanderos wrote:I'm under the impression that you could graduate with a degree in Economics nowadays without really learning how things truly operate. Keynesian vs Von Mises type stuff?

I've been reading up on the Social Credit theory lately. Although the Canadian movement was eventually routed by the central bankers, it seems to have led to a better social condition than we have in the US.

It wouldn't surprise me to see an attempted revival of the US movement as things get progressively worse under the Fed.

Very interesting. Although I'm not sure I would buy in to this completely it is something I need to look into.

Beauanderos,

Many universities and even colleges have economics departments run by Krugman wannabes. It would be very challenging for me to teach in that environment. However, in the Community College/Jr. college system it is a little different. These institutions rely to a great degree on adjuncts with jobs on the outside. Instructors on our level are far more diverse in their thinking.

And yes university professors love the Keynesian model because it looks good on paper and is sufficiently complex to allow the professor to demonstrate intellectual superiority over the students. And that is the point; to invent a discipline that sounds plausable but contains languistic and cultural nuances beyond the understanding of the common citizen. It is a quality shared by all successful ponzi schemes, including Madoff.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:04 pm

Thogey wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:I have noticed that career minded / ambitious people do not procreate until later in life often bearing less children or maybe none at all. Are these folks smarter?....Not necessarily. However, more often than not they are in fact more educated. ie. I know zero female doctors with 3 different baby's daddy's.

Next question.

This is pretty goddam far from "only stupid people are breeding".

But if that is the basis for the comment, that somehow people who choose not to have kids are in someway superior to those that do. I would have to disagree. Of course you don't have doctors with 3 baby daddys.

The sequence is supposed to go like this. You secure a spouse, than you "breed" and raise the children as a joint venture.

So people who do this are stupid? I'll compare my Curriculum Vitae‎ with anyone here!

Sorry to derail the thread. I just thought the comment was a bit thoughtless and felt the need to defend those of us who have taken advantage of the greatest privilege life affords us.

I forget who it was, maybe Allan Bloom or someone of that genre, but he wrote that kids are an investment in the future if nothing else and progeny should not be viewed as unwanted, unneeded, or the opposite of a miracle. (In a nutshell, if you like modern society, it has to be kept up. For some, if you hate people or hate politics or hate life in general, kids probably do not factor into your scope of what should be, as they are the next generation.)

The movie 'Idiocracy' does a plain and simple job of showing us the absurd automation/lack of thinking world we create if we let it get that far. The beginning shows an affluent couple putting off having kids because they do not feel like they can support them. Meanwhile, a trailer park romeo is having kids with different baby mommas in another sequence. Pretty much sums up the JerrySpringer talk show mentality that pervades our conscience.

It is easy to avoid having kids. Most guys understand that :shock: already as you gotta find someone who wants to mate with you, and that alone is a personal choice.

Hate to go Malthusian, but if we get too much of anything, a famine, drought, war, disease, etc. will thin us out and let the more smart/able to survive.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals