Gold Ring

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Gold Ring

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:37 am

In July of 2012 I made a gold ring to fit a cabochon that was in my drawer, I posted about it here: http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16583&hilit=+treasure+for+treasure

A few weeks ago I was burning cardboard boxes and somehow the ring slipped off my finger and ended up in the burn barrel. I found it the next day in the ashes. The gold polished up OK after a 30 minute acid bath, but the stone was ruined, it looked like the color of a well-smashed fingernail.

So I went on eBay and bought a 150 karat synthetic ruby for $20, postage included. Via a recommendation from the president of the local rock hound club, I took the large ruby boule to a older, experienced gentleman member of the club, with lots of gem cutting experience.

He did a great job of cutting an oval faceted ruby to fit the ring. He use about a quarter of the synthetic ruby to make it.

His gold smithing skills are marginal. He set it in the ring by modifying the opening for the stone and making some prongs to hold it secure. The gold rim of the mount is very uneven and amateur looking, its a hack.

I weighed the 17K gold ring with no stone before I gave it to him,it was 17.17 grams. Today I weighed it and the entire ring, with the ruby, weighs 17.10 grams. He ground out and hollowed the inside, under the stone, and removed 2-3 grams of gold, maybe more. I'd have to remove the ruby and weigh it separately to see just how much gold he got. Needless to say I am strongly pi$$ed off at this guy for hollowing out my ring.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: Gold Ring

Postby theshoenlebens » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:47 am

Ouch... :x
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:05 am

That sucks. 2-3 grams of gold is quite a bit, to me at least.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:08 am

When I made the ring I specifically added wax to the inside of the pattern to make the ring heavier:
::

When finishing the ring I used a ball dremel tool to pit the underside, to hide the casting flaws, but remove as little gold as possible:

He hollowed out most of that extra gold on the inside to smooth and polish out the pits I made. Pits only I could see when the ring was off the finger. He said he thought it looked "unfinished" and he was making it better. Idiot.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby OtusLotus » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:56 pm

It really sucks when people THINK when they are not supposed to!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals