Keeping my eyes open paid off today...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Keeping my eyes open paid off today...

Postby Pennybug » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:44 pm

Went to the bank to pick up a small lot of halves to search... while I was waiting... I was stareing at the teller's change drawer as I always do everywhere (I know this freaks them out). :lol: But... this time... I saw a quarter that "looked out of place". Yep! Found a 1953 just sitting there. I asked if I could exchange it for a regular quarter in my pocket... she said sure. NICE! I don't think she was too happy though because she knew what it was! I told her to look at her dime stack 2nd from the bottom... and she pulled out some funky Argantena coin. Didn't have a dime for that one though. It was a newer one anyhow. She was AMAZED at my super-power vision! Me... I was amazed to see that quarter sitting there!... PS... I got 5 Bi-Centenial halves out of 3 rolls I was there to buy. Not too bad. Bout to start looking through my dimes. I found one silver in $100 I searched last week. I'm hoping for at least the same.

Morale of the story... keep your eyes on change drawers whenever your out! Ya never know what you may spot! I think I'm gonna go back to that bank next week and buy a few rolls of quarters! Never know what I may get! 8-). Obviously they are there and the tellers don't spot them!
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Re: Keeping my eyes open paid off today...

Postby OldPeddler » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:08 pm

Look like a profitable pass-time
OldPeddler
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:44 pm

Its not nice to stare at the tellers drawers.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:53 pm

NDFarmer wrote:Its not nice to stare at the tellers drawers.

That's why I only stare at the tellers' rack.

And nice find, Pennybug. Although I wouldn't keep those Bicentennial halves unless they mean something to you.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby AdamsSamoa » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:56 pm

I give away bi centenials as tips....want me to keep them for u?
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pennybug » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:18 pm

Corsair: Well... my father in law has been saving bi centennials... So I figure I might can trade around with him some. He's got LOADS of pre 64 stuff. I've seen bi C .50's going on e bay for about a buck. CLASSIC rack comment... and that would be very applicable in this situation too! HE HE!

Also... I saw someone looking to trade silver for bi quarters on C-list. Anyone know why bi Q's are of interest? Are .50's less valuable Numismatically than a Quarter?
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Market Harmony » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:59 pm

Pennybug wrote:"I might can trade around with him some."

OK... so what part of the south are you from? :D

Nice find. I was outside of DC about 2 years ago and heard the jingle of silver in a tellers drawer at a gas station... ended up with 2 silver quarters just because I can hear different pitches.

I probably have perfect pitch, but it has never been developed... yeah, I know :roll: but it's the truth :geek:
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Corsair » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:03 am

Market Harmony wrote:

Nice find. I was outside of DC about 2 years ago and heard the jingle of silver in a tellers drawer at a gas station... ended up with 2 silver quarters just because I can hear different pitches.

I probably have perfect pitch, but it has never been developed... yeah, I know :roll: but it's the truth :geek:

I have to one up you on this one, Michael. I hate to do this, but I just must. I did the same thing - when I was in the fourth grade. A classmates' change sounded high in pitch, and I asked to see her coins, and sure enough, one was a silver quarter.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:07 am

Corsair wrote:
Market Harmony wrote:

I have to one up you on this one, Michael. I hate to do this, but I just must. I did the same thing - when I was in the fourth grade. A classmates' change sounded high in pitch, and I asked to see her coins, and sure enough, one was a silver quarter.

Perfect pitch is with you at an early age. I can ALWAYS remember being able to hear differences in sounds that others never could...

I guess it finally is paying off.

PS. @Pennybug... I forgot to capitalize South :oops: I lived in T-Town for 5 years
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Shattered » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:12 am

Corsair wrote:
Market Harmony wrote:

I don't know if this is a one up or not but we will see. When I'm working the register at work sometimes I can hear silver when they jingle their change walking up to the counter. One night I thought I heard "the sound" and was hoping he would pay exact change but instead just handed me a big FRN. His total was $4.11. I pulled a penny from the GAP/TAP and said "do you have a dime to make it even?". Wouldn't you know he pulls out a '62 rosy and thanks me for the penny.

Thank you sir, have a good night! :mrgreen:
Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennybug » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:50 am

Market: I'm originally from the peach state. You're pretty observant!

As for your hearing and the rest of you "silver whisperers"... I know the difference in the sound... but I'm not sure I could pick that up by hearing a change drawer or someone rattling coins in their pocket! That's impressive! I may have to work at that. Seems like it's paid off for some of you (even as early as 4th grade I might add!)
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hades12 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:52 pm

I jingled my change the other night and heard the odd sound. 62 quarter in it.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby kiwiman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:38 pm

Pennybug wrote:Went to the bank to pick up a small lot of halves to search... while I was waiting... I was stareing at the teller's change drawer as I always do everywhere (I know this freaks them out). :lol: But... this time... I saw a quarter that "looked out of place". Yep! Found a 1953 just sitting there. I asked if I could exchange it for a regular quarter in my pocket... she said sure. NICE! I don't think she was too happy though because she knew what it was! I told her to look at her dime stack 2nd from the bottom... and she pulled out some funky Argantena coin. Didn't have a dime for that one though. It was a newer one anyhow. She was AMAZED at my super-power vision! Me... I was amazed to see that quarter sitting there!... PS... I got 5 Bi-Centenial halves out of 3 rolls I was there to buy. Not too bad. Bout to start looking through my dimes. I found one silver in $100 I searched last week. I'm hoping for at least the same.

Morale of the story... keep your eyes on change drawers whenever your out! Ya never know what you may spot! I think I'm gonna go back to that bank next week and buy a few rolls of quarters! Never know what I may get! 8-). Obviously they are there and the tellers don't spot them!

are tellers required to give you any coins they have in their trays? because I was at the bank yesterday and asked about a few silver halves and she said she was saving them for her boyfriend. If they had to give them I still dont think I would make her give them to me unless i dont use that bank

kiwiman
You could be sorting right now.
kiwiman
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals