Spotting FAKE 1 oz Gold American Eagle

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Spotting FAKE 1 oz Gold American Eagle

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:27 am

Be careful out there!
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Re: Spotting FAKE 1 oz Gold American Eagle

Postby dakota1955 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:56 am

thanks for the information
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pennypicker » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:15 am

Very scary that some thief can come up with a 1 oz gold eagle that has almost exactly the same diameter and depth as a legit coin and it STILL ends up with the correct weight :o
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:37 am

Thanks, great video! I picked the fake out correctly but could see how if I did not have a real coin next to for comparison I could easily be fooled. Very skilled sneaky counterfeiters out there in the world. That is why it is good to buy on forums like this from established members who value their reputations and have experience handling precious metals. Even if some fake slipped through I think most people here would make it right. Thanks to all the honest folks out there with integrity!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:15 pm

doubt I will be in the market for these anytime soon,(lol) but very nice. thanks for posting it.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 300Braveheart » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Thanks for sharing!
300Braveheart

Postby hirbonzig » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:45 pm

Thanks for the video. That "skeleton" face was a horrible attempt at the real thing.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:45 pm

hirbonzig wrote: That "skeleton" face was a horrible attempt at the real thing.

First and most noticable thing when I compared both coins.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:54 pm

"They" figured out a way around tungsten not being malleable?

The color was the first thing I noticed, then the details looked a bit off. Counterfeited buffaloes would draw less attention, IMO.

Well, darn. My Fische testing set just became a bit less reliable.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John Reich » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:20 pm

Great video! Thanks for sharing the information. It's very scary that the weight and diameter would be correct. The scale would be my primary authentication tool. Please let us know if you determine what they were made of. Would you still be able to strike a coin if it had a tungsten core?

Good idea to check the reed count. I know it's very useful in checking for counterfeit numismatic coins. Even if they get the obverse & reverse right, the bad guys usually screw up the "third edge" of the coin.
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Postby mtldealer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:59 am

when you used the Niton... did you try a minute long test? Would that have had a different result? After seeing your video I have to break out all the AU and test it again. Thanks for posting.
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:50 am

mtldealer wrote:when you used the Niton... did you try a minute long test? Would that have had a different result? After seeing your video I have to break out all the AU and test it again. Thanks for posting.

For the video, you can see that the test was just a quick trigger pull and the tolerance was pretty high... The off-camera test was more accurate- somewhere around 30 sec. That test had the most accurate reading and reduced the tolerance to an acceptable range. On that test, the XRF was showing 98ish% Au, and trace Pt, Cu, Ag
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby mtldealer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:35 pm

So if you did a test with the XRF for an extended period of time the coin would test suspicious? I have a Niton also and have tested fake bullion SIlver (courtesy of Nate@ CopperCave) but have yet to test fake gold. So I am trying to figure out if the XRF was completely fooled (the impliction based on your video) Or whether it would show up as NOT .999 which would lead to a thorough investigation of the piece in question.
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Postby christostock » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:15 pm

mtldealer wrote:So if you did a test with the XRF for an extended period of time the coin would test suspicious? I have a Niton also and have tested fake bullion SIlver (courtesy of Nate@ CopperCave) but have yet to test fake gold. So I am trying to figure out if the XRF was completely fooled (the impliction based on your video) Or whether it would show up as NOT .999 which would lead to a thorough investigation of the piece in question.

Gold eagles are not 999 fine gold
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mtldealer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:18 pm

christostock wrote:
mtldealer wrote:So if you did a test with the XRF for an extended period of time the coin would test suspicious? I have a Niton also and have tested fake bullion SIlver (courtesy of Nate@ CopperCave) but have yet to test fake gold. So I am trying to figure out if the XRF was completely fooled (the impliction based on your video) Or whether it would show up as NOT .999 which would lead to a thorough investigation of the piece in question.

Gold eagles are not 999 fine gold

Yes but the gun should be able to break down the percentages of the other metals...

As a side note... I buy all my gold from Christostock so I'm not that worried ;-)
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals