Carson City Morgans

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Carson City Morgans

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:18 pm

My CL ad brought an inquiry, someone wants to sell five CC Morgans. They are all in nice brilliant uncirculated condition and are all from the Carson City Nevada mint. The dates are: 1878-CC, 1883-CC, 1885-CC, 1890-CC, and 1892-CC.

If I bought them I would only want to flip them pretty quick. Any suggestions on what I should offer the guy, and then what price to put on them to sell here?

I'm concerned that its possible they are counterfeit, even though his story about them sounds fairly normal.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: Carson City Morgans

Postby Silver Runner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:41 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:My CL ad brought an inquiry, someone wants to sell five CC Morgans. They are all in nice brilliant uncirculated condition and are all from the Carson City Nevada mint. The dates are: 1878-CC, 1883-CC, 1885-CC, 1890-CC, and 1892-CC.

If I bought them I would only want to flip them pretty quick. Any suggestions on what I should offer the guy, and then what price to put on them to sell here?

I'm concerned that its possible they are counterfeit, even though his story about them sounds fairly normal.

I would have the same concerns...
Silver Runner
Penny Pincher Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:14 am

Buy them if you can authenticate them. There are websites that have the identifying features so you could do it yourself with a small amount of effort.

Regarding price, Numismedia isn't perfect but is a reasonable RETAIL PRICE basis.

Also remember that "Brilliant Uncirculated" has a big range. It could mean CLEANED (some ignorant people think cleaned coins look bright) and it could mean MS66. So you also need to be able to properly grade the coins unless the owner is willing to take the price for a low end example.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:36 am

they sound like fakes to me. What are the odds that someone would list FIVE high dollar CC mint mark Morgans... thru Craigslist??? They're looking for suckers. :thumbdown:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby hobo finds » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:12 pm

What is a good website for these? I have 2 1884 carson city dollars in plastic cases with paperwork but no boxes, that my grandmother gave me.
hobo finds

Postby Verbane » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:28 pm

Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:00 pm

beauanderos wrote:they sound like fakes to me. What are the odds that someone would list FIVE high dollar CC mint mark Morgans... thru Craigslist??? They're looking for suckers. :thumbdown:

Maybe...but they weren't listed for sale. The owner is responding to a Want to Buy ad.

I wonder if they are all in the GSA boxes or raw.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:18 pm

There are even fake GSA boxes I've heard.

But then again, someone may have liquidated a large hoard of Morgans and only saved the CCs from the bucket shop because they knew enough to not do that.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby gubni » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:42 am

Use the magnet slide test. If they are real I would be interested in buying them.
"Every man I meet is in some way my superior."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
gubni
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:50 am

gubni wrote:Use the magnet slide test. If they are real I would be interested in buying them.

Gubni - I decided it was not worth the risk and don't have his phone number any more.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals