question about hoarding mercury dimes

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

question about hoarding mercury dimes

Postby Tantalar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:56 pm

I have been falling in love with the mercury dimes. The fact that they are smallest 90% denomination and that they are fairly old presents a number of delicious and tempting things. I have been wondering however if it makes more sense to hold onto beat down ones that are worth $1.75 for numismatic value or post 1939 dates which are worth about $1.43 each for numismatic value. I think perhaps in a barter situation where scales are not to be trusted, it would come down to quality of coin. I hope that it doesnt come down to that. However, if it never comes close to that and silver never goes up (yeah I know right) then at least ill be able to hold onto these and sell them some day down the road for 1.75 or 1.43 or MORE if I can find a dealer. What do you guys think? Keep the old worn down ones?
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Re: question about hoarding mercury dimes

Postby aloneibreak » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:03 pm

i love the mercury dime as well

only missing that dang 16-d !

i myself prefer the 40's dates to the worn down earlier ones

id sell them off and hold the better quality ones...

just my opinion
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby whatsnext » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:10 pm

Quality of coin is a present concern. After I weighing my morgan dollars Iearned they weighed sometimes 3 grams below what they did when minted(worn).

Scales would be paramount in barter, but consider your self lucky if someone would accept silver for food/goods b/c modern barter cultures use silver only as a shortfall in trading.

The cheaper the better, but quality first b/c quality counts in the times of lack of precision.
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rainsonme » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:37 pm

When buying at melt, I always go for mercury dimes and walking liberty halfs. I imagine in my tiny mind that they have a floor value, should silver prices crash. It is not impossible that gold and silver drop significantly; and if they did, I would much rather be holding a hoard of mercury dimes than silver roosevelts. And besides, they are a much prettier coin.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby .02FYI » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:35 am

coinflation.com
1916-1945 Mercury Dime $0.10 $1.9495 1949.54%

By the standard silver ratio
.715 x .10 =.0715 x current spot( Change Silver 26.79 ) = 1.9154 Try to sell trade close to that value. IMHO. But all depends on the situation , buyer, tnterest and how fast this has to be done. The above is melt. I don't buy into theory that you buy for nusmatic value as the bullion value is what is on the move . Yes down now maybe down more. But when it goes up generally premium doesn't folow. So go with the value based on weight.
.02FYI
Penny Pincher Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:09 am

It depends on your objectives. Junk is always going to be junk and will trade on it's silver content. So if you want silver, then beat up coins that you buy at silver prices are the ticket. If you want collectable coins, buy the highest grade within budget.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:28 pm

exbingoaddict wrote:Junk is always going to be junk and will trade on it's silver content. So if you want silver, then beat up coins that you buy at silver prices are the ticket. If you want collectable coins, buy the highest grade within budget.

I think maybe junk will only be junk when silver is priced above a certain point. If silver drops enough, say $10/oz or lower, the numismatic value would kick in at some point and be the driving force behind the value.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby .02FYI » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:22 pm

scrapper2010 wrote:
exbingoaddict wrote:Junk is always going to be junk and will trade on it's silver content. So if you want silver, then beat up coins that you buy at silver prices are the ticket. If you want collectable coins, buy the highest grade within budget.

I think maybe junk will only be junk when silver is priced above a certain point. If silver drops enough, say $10/oz or lower, the numismatic value would kick in at some point and be the driving force behind the value.

I understand that those who buy, Silver collectible is a different market and when discussing nusmatics it takes lots of knowledge and there is a market at times for this. Sure silver could drop. But more likely the premiums paid for gov't rounds or pre 33 au would fall as the bullion prices increase. Could Silver go to 10 I don't think so. But if it does. I personally would be even more focued on buying silver bullion, junk as funds became available. The deal is the nusmatic or premium for Gov't rounds you usually don't get back the increase. As Silver or Gold increae your better to buy more ounzes as the increase in spot will return you more than increase in nusmatic value of coin. Usually when I've paid a premium for coin. That can not be realized when selling as a general rule. Yes I've bought them but that is not the way to go imho.
.02FYI
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:36 pm

.02FYI wrote:
scrapper2010 wrote:

I understand that those who buy, Silver collectible is a different market and when discussing nusmatics it takes lots of knowledge and there is a market at times for this. Sure silver could drop. But more likely the premiums paid for gov't rounds or pre 33 au would fall as the bullion prices increase. Could Silver go to 10 I don't think so. But if it does. I personally would be even more focued on buying silver bullion, junk as funds became available. The deal is the nusmatic or premium for Gov't rounds you usually don't get back the increase. As Silver or Gold increae your better to buy more ounzes as the increase in spot will return you more than increase in nusmatic value of coin. Usually when I've paid a premium for coin. That can not be realized when selling as a general rule. Yes I've bought them but that is not the way to go imho.

I don't think silver is going less than $10 either, I was just using that as an example of how numismatic value could kick in IF silver falls below a certain point. Yes at $10 I am a buyer too!! :D In fact I haven't been at this long enough to know if that's true. Looks like just a few years ago silver was less than $10/oz. So for those who have been at this for a while.....were worn 90% dimes going for .50 cents when silver was at 7.50/oz, and worn Morgans $5.50?
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:13 pm

scrapper2010 wrote: I don't think silver is going less than $10 either, I was just using that as an example of how numismatic value could kick in IF silver falls below a certain point. Yes at $10 I am a buyer too!! :D In fact I haven't been at this long enough to know if that's true. Looks like just a few years ago silver was less than $10/oz. So for those who have been at this for a while.....were worn 90% dimes going for .50 cents when silver was at 7.50/oz, and worn Morgans $5.50?

Even if a coin has numismatic value, you have to have a willing buyer at that price. Anybody can write a price guide or put an artificial value on a coin. Is there a market for it? Are there buyers for that coin?

So if silver prices crash, who’s going to be buyer? Dealers and collectors alike may be burnt on suddenly seeing their net worth and balance sheets crash along with their silver holdings. So that market is going to be smaller.

Point is, sure the coin could have numismatic value. However you may have to sit on common silver coins it for some time to sell it at a premium over metal content.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby .02FYI » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:36 pm

Any silver / Gold bought in recent run up has taken a loss. So I agree the loss spreads out and increases on the numi stuff. So holding tight would be the best unless you are forced to sell. I'd love to learn more about the NUmi just need more time and experience I guess.

Buyers pay back from spot and sell over spot and most could care less what the date, make , model etc.. They weight it up and figure price based on spot. Sure they will classify, mark up, sell at Numi value if there is a market . Can't blame them as it is a market when two buyers agree.
.02FYI
Penny Pincher Member

Postby franklin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:56 pm

"Any silver / Gold bought in recent run up has taken a loss."

Not disagreeing but... only if you are purchasing those as an investment, meaning you intend to cash it out at some point for fiat. Many are grabbing it as simple wealth retention in the event, likely or unlikely, that the inflation rate continues to climb more quickly than in the immediate past. Hopefully it won't be needed as barter but...
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals