eBay Score!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

eBay Score!

Postby Rastatodd » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:57 pm

Won an auction for five 1964 90%Washington quarters. Got them at a good price per. Well got the package today and low and behold enclosed was the following (4) 1964 90% Washington quarters and (1) 1964 90% Kennedy half. Must have mis located the fifth quarter and sent a half in it's place. FREE silver I can do every day. Who says the evil auction site is up to no good. :thumbup:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: eBay Score!

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:00 pm

The fee-sucking corporation and all the scammers are the evil, there are still lots of good people on e-bay doing good business. Corporate sure sucks a lot of loot from me. You can avoid the scammers though.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Rastatodd » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 pm

You are right Blackrabbit, there are so many good people on eBay trying to make a few dollars only to have eBay suck the proceeds right out of their PayPal account. :twisted:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:53 pm

I just don't see what ya'lls problem with e-bay fees is.
They really do provide great exposure. You just have to avoid selling things with a low margin.

I do about 500-1000 a month on e-bay and it's not uncommon to sell things, used things, at a ten key mark-up.

You can sell a picture of a helicopter for over a hundred bucks. You can sell a rusty old bow rake head for 15 bucks.

Used garage door opener remote fetch 20-40 dollars all day every day.

They have a system that took a while to put together and it works. If they were not so hard on sellers, no one would buy there.

Pay-pal takes about 3 points. That is actually not much worse than credit card processing fees.

I'm personally glad it is available.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Zincanator » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:14 am

While I've been burned by eVil Bay many times both as a buyer and a seller, it's nice to come across members who are good-hearted folk. Case in point -- I bought a clad mint set to complete a Whitman "Decade" folder. The package I received instead was a silver set for the year and a hand-written note saying he created the auction in error, but if I liked the silver set to let him know. I replied that I would like to keep the silver set and asked how much extra I owed him for the silver. He said no charge. I replied several times saying I was happy to pay the guy but he insisted I keep the silver set for my troubles. Above and beyond in my book.
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Chief » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:45 am

I've been on "feebay" for 3.5 years and whenever there was a problem with a buyer, "feebay" has always solved it.

Example, sold a BU 1967 Canadian Half, buyer said they never got it, tracking showed it was delivered, buyer bitched about "you sellers always pack coins in small envelopes, you suck", left negative feedback when offered a full refund, coin was found a few days later, called "feebay", they had records of the emails and tracking info, they corrected my negative feedback, and I politely told buyer to never buy my crap again. Little bit of "leg work" on my part, but issue was taken care of ASAP by "feebay".

You pay the +/-12% fee for worldwide exposure. YMMV, but I like selling on "feebay". :D

ETA: I had someone who was local buy some stupid Council Bluffs Black Squirrel Coins from me. Hesitantly, I met up with the person to deliver the coins. He was a middle aged coin/currency collector who was interested in one of my currency auctions. Sold him some currency w/o any fees and ended up finding a 1953 $10 and $5 for his brother that was born in 1953, whose birthday was coming up. Nice dude.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rastatodd » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:20 pm

The point of the tread is "I got a good deal". Score. :thumbup:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals