When Will It All Run Out?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

When Will It All Run Out?

Postby camtender » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:02 pm

camtender
Penny Collector Member

Re: When Will It All Run Out?

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:32 pm

One only need Google "Peak Everything". Running out explains why the resource wars have started, why we trade the blood of our sons and daughters for . . . (you fill in the blank) . . . oil and why China is everywhere else in the world cementing good will, good relationships, good business and access to the rest of the world's resources.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:45 pm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/07 ... _you_know/

With all due respect, all of this stuff is the delusions of short sighted people. I can envision several paths we could follow that we have the resources to keep a high tech society indefinitely with already proven things we can do now. Let alone things we might be able to do effectively in the future, such as harvest materials from the ocean floor (we havent come remotely close to harvesting all the resources on this planet) or asteroids etc. or even going through old dumps to harvest the metals or other potentially recoverable items.

It is a self fulfilling prophesy at this point.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:21 pm

I'd be interested to know who buys old dumps.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby LooseChange » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:15 pm

Engineer wrote:I'd be interested to know who buys old dumps.

+1, they will be re-branded to "Resource Recovery Facilities"
Problem is most of the good stuff is on the bottom :thumbdown:
"You can go if you want, but all they make are coins there"- Quote from the Philidelphia, PA visitors center desk clerk, after inquiring about going on a tour of the MINT
LooseChange
Penny Collector Member

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:13 am

Treetop wrote:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/07/the_club_of_romes_limits_to_growth_was_right_you_know/

With all due respect, all of this stuff is the delusions of short sighted people. I can envision several paths we could follow that we have the resources to keep a high tech society indefinitely with already proven things we can do now. Let alone things we might be able to do effectively in the future, such as harvest materials from the ocean floor (we havent come remotely close to harvesting all the resources on this planet) or asteroids etc. or even going through old dumps to harvest the metals or other potentially recoverable items.

It is a self fulfilling prophesy at this point.

Treetop:

I like it, the way you think and the willingness to present opposing views. Several paths? Humm, now you've got me thinking again. Certainly, the path we are on now is not working?

It would seem to me that all must include a significant change in our current behavior as an organism on the planet, to include but not exclusive of: The number of us on the planet (is there an optimal number of humans who can behave on the planet in a manner that does not destroy or significantly alter the evolution of the planet's organisms?) how we use/cycle the resources available to us, and recognition of a resource and proper use of it (e.g. human bodily waste).

So in my limited view, it becomes a behavioral and intelligent use problem to solve if it is not a finite amount available to use. Is it easier for the entire human race to change it's behavior so the alternative paths are available or to kill it self off to the point where abundance surrounds again?

And while I do not disagree it is a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point, I would love to better see what the prophecy that leads us down a more proper path looks like so I might better decide where to place my abilities and resources towards it's fulfillment.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals