Sorting Related Health Problems? Cough/Sore Throat -> Grime?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Sorting Related Health Problems? Cough/Sore Throat -> Grime?

Postby Deathwish_DW » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:02 pm

I was wondering if anything knows about any health related risks from sorting large amounts of pennies on a daily basis.
Since I began, I have developed a hoarse cough and sore throat. I have also noticed that my mucus (in my nose..) is BLACK from the particulates and grime on the pennies. I run a coin scan 303 and a ryedale.

When I took a break for a day, my throat felt better and I did not cough as much.. I'm writing this as I run a few 100$ through the machines and it is back..

I was thinknig of getting a particulate mask from Fisher Scientific since I know a few people there and can get a discount.

Is this just a coincidence or may I be on to something?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Deathwish_DW
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Sorting Related Health Problems? Cough/Sore Throat -> Gr

Postby Roadrunner » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:22 pm

I don't know about your case, but on the contrary, several members have professed that sorting helps their health and have even gotten sick when they go several days *without* sorting. Hmm...
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Deathwish_DW » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:27 pm

The dark mucus is what made me think of the pennies.. all that black dust/grime that accumulates on the counter and ryedale.
Deathwish_DW
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:47 pm

I wash my hands thoroughly when done sorting and use purell after washing..
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Use a basic N95 mask and see if you get better.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby misteroman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:46 pm

I still think its giving me a stiff neck and headaches
misteroman

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:30 pm

Not to be a smart-guy but when was the last time you changed your air filter? I work in a high industrial area. Some days I get some of the stuff you mentioned...but there is a boatload of stuff going on. Is there any residue on other parts of the area you are working at? Blackstuff...grime dust...should be everywhere not just your nose and fingers. I, personally, wash my hands alot and try to keep them away from my face...eyes,nose,and mouth. (YUCK!) :shock:
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Tourney64 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:48 pm

Copper actually has antibacterial properties as does silver. Why do you think they used to make eating utinsels out of silver.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby tinhorn » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:48 pm

I don't use a Ryedale, but I've run a few hundred bucks through comparitors. Seems to me the grime from pennies is more like body slime than dust. Where are you doing your work? Are you heating with wood? Sounds like a dust mask is in order until you figure this out.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jasmatk » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:47 pm

I agree with tourney64 check this vid out shows how hospitals are useing copper and its antimicrobial propertys to fight mrsa and other bad germs
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:59 pm

so the better your percentages the happier and healthier you should be
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Deathwish_DW » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:24 pm

46.xx% Copper. I am going to try some N95's, I suppose I'm just over reacting.
I didn't know about copper and it's antibacterial properties.. Learn something new everyday :D
Deathwish_DW
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:32 pm

It's not the copper you need to be concerned about, especially with clean coins. However, there are bad corrosive byproducts on some ugly abes, and who knows what all is attached to sticky coins, etc. So some basic precautions aren't a bad idea, seems to me.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Deathwish_DW » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:53 pm

I personally thought it was all of the black grime/dust.

I made my zinc dump this morning and the coughing/sore throat hit.
As of right now, hours after I dumped, my throat is a lot better.

@68; Is that your car in your sig? :D
Deathwish_DW
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:29 pm

Deathwish_DW wrote:@68; Is that your car in your sig? :D

Yep. 68 British Green 327-4bbl 4-speed Rally Sport, aka a L30/M20.
68Camaro

Postby Finder » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Its probably healthier than stripping copper wire, I've brought blood to my fingers 100 times.
At least its clean but dang it hurts.

Lost my leather gloves too, Id rather sort pennies anyway.
Unless its big wire.

I took some copper (and a little aluminum and steel) to the scrap yard yesterday and walked out with $43 for more my penny habit.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JJM » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:40 pm

I wonder if the OP ever bought a mask, and if it helped?

Honestly, I'm surprised there weren't more people reporting his problem, I know I have it too. I wear a mask when running the Ryedale - I used to have the same problem hand sorting though. My better half even reports it (well, used to, back when I was vanquished to the basement for sorting activities!)

My lungs don't seem to be 100% - might have something to due w/ the mystery pneumonia I caught in Iraq, or the 6 months we spent living downwind from a very large open dump where the trash was burned around the clock. I know a lot of guys over there that would like to wring the neck of the ring-knocking brainiac who set that one up...
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Particulate matter is present, corrosion dust from what I can tell, outside the sweet smell, similar to Mcdonalds or empty beer cans, some dust is present, makes me sneeze sometimes, the grime I don't worry about, although it is some pretty heavy duty grime. Still, try to reduce your particulate matter inhalation with ventilation or mask, both, whatever.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:07 pm

I bought a box of latex gloves and I am amazed at the amount of black grime on them after I sort,,,
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:I bought a box of latex gloves and I am amazed at the amount of black grime on them after I sort,,,

I bought a box of latex condoms and I am amazed at the.....oops, wrong forum. :o
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Engineer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:53 pm

slickeast wrote:
Diggin4copper wrote:I bought a box of latex gloves and I am amazed at the amount of black grime on them after I sort,,,

I bought a box of latex condoms and I am amazed at the.....oops, wrong forum. :o

:lol:

Back on topic...If you're worried about dust you can make a good cheap dust collector out of a box fan and a HEPA furnace filter. Just bungee or tape the filter to the intake side of the fan, and you'll be amazed at how much it picks up.

The biggest health hazard in my mind would be copper and zinc poisoning if you absorbed too much through your skin.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing