Best Coin(s) to Invest?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Best Coin(s) to Invest?

Postby AlexTG » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:42 pm

Started writing a story about why I had to sell all of my stack and I am finally getting back to this, then realized all of that was filler and feel good crap for what I really wanna talk about.

Anyway.

I am getting back into stacking/collecting.I know that stacking, period, is the desired goal here.

Personally I like the idea of stacking rare(r) Franklin Halves. I know that when Silver was $40 many of these were worth around equal value in numismatic and melt if not less than melt. (Depending on the rarity of the coin)

Now many of them are worth several dollars more than melt. That being said I really don't know much about the numismatics value of coins and how their value appreciates, melt is easy to understand.

My question is with respect to melt value and numismatic value, which coin(s) do you think is/are the best hedge for the future?

Special Note: When Silver was $40, we would have killed to buy for $20 or below. Now that silver is below $20 are you buying as much as you can?
AlexTG
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Best Coin(s) to Invest?

Postby AdamsSamoa » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:51 pm

yes
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:58 pm

Buying now, buying any bullion I can find.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John Reich » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:51 pm

If you think the price of silver is going to go back up, buy silver in any form you can get at this price and then sell/trade for what you want in the future. If you think the silver price is going to keep going down, then just wait and buy what you want for your stack as you come across it.

Me personally, I keep a core stack of that I wouldn't part with at any price, and another that I "play" the market with.
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:03 pm

Alex, that is the $64,000 dollar question. You can look back into the past and see the values (up and down) of the numismatic coins of your choice and see how they have done over time like you can with stocks. From this you can tell which would have been the best PM coin to have invested into. But, past performance does not mean future profits or increase in value necessarily. However, great coins like a great stocks tend to have their cyclical ups and downs and are still great coins and stocks regardless if they are out of favor or highly sought after.

Which is the best? I don't know but, there are a ton of Morgans out there and they tend to be a popular and known about coin. Lots have performed very poorly over time and a small number have performed very well. Many have moved in up and down cycles.

I'm sure the same could be found for St. Gauds, Indians, and all the other US PM coins, not to omit foreign or the added value given to a high quality set. I know there are many here with way more knowledge about the above than I. But, I seem to remember an index of numismatic coins supposed to made up of "Blue Chip" coins. The key here is knowing what part of the cycle you are in regardless being numismatic coin or bullion if profiting is what you are trying to do.

If you want to get a better idea of how the above looks for Morgans take a look at the Morgan Dollar Value Trend Report by
http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.com/
This will give you a better idea of what you are up against.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Sullysullinburg » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:44 pm

Any coin that has a pm in it. Why because over time everything increase in value. People who hold sticks for more then 15 years tend to make money.
Sullysullinburg
Penny Collector Member

Postby 93_Confirmed » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:45 am

My general advice is to invest in coins that have low mintages or older coins that aren't easily obtainable. Anytime I have an opportunity to cherry pick through 90%, I'd seek out morgan/peace dollars, barber dimes/quarters/halves, etc. The older/more rare the better.
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:02 am

AlexTG wrote:Started writing a story about why I had to sell all of my stack and I am finally getting back to this, then realized all of that was filler and feel good crap for what I really wanna talk about.

Anyway.

I am getting back into stacking/collecting.I know that stacking, period, is the desired goal here.

Personally I like the idea of stacking rare(r) Franklin Halves. I know that when Silver was $40 many of these were worth around equal value in numismatic and melt if not less than melt. (Depending on the rarity of the coin)

Now many of them are worth several dollars more than melt. That being said I really don't know much about the numismatics value of coins and how their value appreciates, melt is easy to understand.

My question is with respect to melt value and numismatic value, which coin(s) do you think is/are the best hedge for the future?

Special Note: When Silver was $40, we would have killed to buy for $20 or below. Now that silver is below $20 are you buying as much as you can?

You are talking about two completely different things here. Stacking is one thing and coin investing is another.

It is possible to try to play both fields but it is very hard.

You mentioned Franklins. When I started buying silver around the $7-10/oz time frame 1955 Franklins were selling for $20 or so. You could often get lucky with buying 90% and find one. Now is seems that 1955 Franklins are selling barely above melt prices. The reality is that only high grade franklins are really worth anything and the 1953 S full bell line seems to be the only truly rare franklin.

If you want to invest in rare coins than I would suggest something with a much lower mintage.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby AlexTG » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Thanks all for your replies.

HR: That was exactly the type of information I was looking for on Franklins. Something I am too young to know, and isn't easily found on the internet. (At least in my searches)

Seems consensus is to buy morgans/peace dollars of rare mintage and as high a grade as you can afford.
AlexTG
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 93_Confirmed » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:19 pm

AlexTG wrote:Thanks all for your replies.

HR: That was exactly the type of information I was looking for on Franklins. Something I am too young to know, and isn't easily found on the internet. (At least in my searches)

Seems consensus is to buy morgans/peace dollars of rare mintage and as high a grade as you can afford.

I'm not big on buying expensive slabbed coins. It's much more profitable and rewarding to seek out rare coins through yard sales, estate sales, coin shops, and CL ads.
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals