Great yard sale day finds of silver and gold

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Great yard sale day finds of silver and gold

Postby Pennysaved » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:19 am

I went to a bunch of yard sales yesterday.

Went to one where they just had boxes upon boxes sitting out to go through. I found a sterling silver International prelude plate. I asked the guy how much he wanted for it and he told me $4. I also found some nice silver plate stuff and a silver on copper mug and gave him $5 for those items. So I definitely scored :) I even paid him in halves.

The funny thing is about 5 minutes later a guy was going through all the silver plate stuff with a magnifier and saw me with the stuff I had bought and asked me if that stuff was sterling.

I felt lucky to beat him to the punch :-)

The sterling silver plate weighs 334 grams. So over $190 of silver for $4 :)

Then I went to a sale several blocks away and it was all junk but asked the woman if she had any junk jewelry and she went into her trailer and brought out a bunch of little baggies; it was all junk but I saw in one of the bags a bunch of junk jewelry but I saw a little disney charm and saw 14k at the topof the clasp. I asked her how much she wanted for the baggie and she said $1. Weighed the charm and it was 1 gram of gold.

Pretty good yard sale score for the day :-)
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Great yard sale day finds of silver and gold

Postby agmoose » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:20 pm

nice finds!
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby jasmatk » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:37 pm

Great finds.you gonna sell it or wait for price to rise?
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:39 pm

That's what I'm talking about! Nice finds and thanks for sharing the story. It would be a good addition to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2868
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Roadrunner » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:44 pm

all the yard sales I've been to have had NOTHING good at all, I guess persistence is key

Oh, I just remembered an interesting story. Ok, so I'm at this yard/garage sale, and I overhear these older guys talking about pennies, so I perk up and move a little closer while not making it obvious that I'm eavesdropping. :) Then I hear that they're talking about COPPER PENNIES, and they're trying to remember "which year in the early 80's did they stop makin' those?" By this time they could tell I was interested in the discussion, so I told them about switching in the middle of 1982 and how some people are saving them for their metal value...etc." They thanked me and then I left. Thinking back a little later, I marveled at the odds of these guys talking about copper pennies at all (it's not exactly a hot topic for non-realcenters), let alone when I would be there to hear it!

Edit: Almost forgot, nice score and congratulations! KA-CHING!
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby bman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:32 pm

I never find and coins or good jewelry at yard sales, they want good money for the junk jewelry around here. :o
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals