Expecting Gold to drop in price?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Expecting Gold to drop in price?

Postby fasteddy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:48 am

To the gold bugs...do u think that gold is going to drop in price due to the ruble falling in value...I am thinking that Russia may sell some gold reserves to prop up their currency....this is way over my head but was thinking about all the articles in the last couple years of Russia, China and other countries buying gold...what do you think would happen to their economy if they had to sell now when they were buying gold at a higher price. If they don't sell to strengthen their currency then what good was it to buy it?

If I was holding gold I might just sell it right now and get in front of that avalanche.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Re: Expecting Gold to drop in price?

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:20 am

Burp...

That's China and India buying Russia's entire gold reserve.

Dips and surges in price are driven by and thru the paper market and while that has a temporary affect on physical price due to the current bizarre mechanism of price discovery used and abused in futures markets, for those that would gamble on this either way, good luck to you.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:41 pm

Funny you should mention that 68, I'm reading a book right now where the author describes being in a govt. economic "war game" several years ago and the guys playing it have China selling Russia ALL it's reserves of gold and Russia starting a "new" currency backed from it.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:29 pm

johnbrickner wrote:Funny you should mention that 68, I'm reading a book right now where the author describes being in a govt. economic "war game" several years ago and the guys playing it have China selling Russia ALL it's reserves of gold and Russia starting a "new" currency backed from it.

sounds like James Rickards ;)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Treetop » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:00 pm

I doubt russia will prop up fiat with metal when they presumably bought the metal knowing this was coming in some form.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Exactly
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby messymessy » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:39 pm

Treetop wrote:I doubt russia will prop up fiat with metal when they presumably bought the metal knowing this was coming in some form.

So if Russia knew it was coming, suppose they might let the ruble crash? And see what other currencies they might be able to take down also, say the US dollar and the Euro? And then maybe start a new currency backed by gold?

I'd bet on this scenario if it wasn't for the falling price of oil. Certainly can't be what they intended, but it still may be what happens.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals