Paper Silver Market Vesus Physical Silver Market

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Paper Silver Market Vesus Physical Silver Market

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:33 pm

A recent article I read stated that the paper silver market is 250 times the size of the physical silver market!
https://www.goldbroker.com/news/paper-s ... market-526

Wow!
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Paper Silver Market Vesus Physical Silver Market

Postby Morsecode » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:03 pm

:lol:

Too bad jonflypaper isn't here to tell us why that ratio is a good thing.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby silverstacker » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:25 pm

Well I knew that it was a stretch but I didn't expect this:

"This would mean that, for every ounce of physical silver, there are 250 ounces of « paper » silver circulating in several financial products. In other words, only one contract or certificate issued out of 250 would be convertible in physical silver."

Wow :o
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:10 am

silverstacker wrote:Well I knew that it was a stretch but I didn't expect this:

"This would mean that, for every ounce of physical silver, there are 250 ounces of « paper » silver circulating in several financial products. In other words, only one contract or certificate issued out of 250 would be convertible in physical silver."

Wow :o

It should be less than 1 out of 250 ounces. Why? Think about all the physical silver in the hands of people on this site. You could argue that all would be sold at a price, whatever that price might be. I'd like to suggest there are people who own physical silver that have it (perhaps because they inherited it) and might have no clue if the price hit $100-500 an ounce. They just don't follow the news that closely, or (if they are really wealthy) perhaps they just don't care. So there is silver out there that wouldn't be sold under almost any circumstance.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:48 am

Today at $16.12. x250= $4030.00/oz

Now if we could only engineer the complete and total crash of the paper market.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:50 am

From the article:

"In a recent interview, David Morgan confirmed to me that the annual physical silver production is of roughly one billion ounces. With silver trading around $20 currently, this represents a $20 billion market for physical silver. So the size of the physical silver market is of $20 billion, whereas Bloomberg is mentioning $5 trillion."

So the physical market and the paper market are likely pretty close since the world has been here for longer than 1 year. I know production hasn't been the same for the last 250 years, but production has gone on for no less than thousands of years so my guess is we are pretty close to par.
barrytrot

Postby theo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:57 pm

I agree. Using the annual silver production as the base asset for all of the paper trading sounds a bit misleading. Even suggesting that silver is undervalued by a factor of 250 really undercuts their credibility. They are also likely using the notional value (counting both sides of the trade) on silver options contracts. This also artificially inflates the size of the paper markets.

What does the paper market look like for for oil? If it is say 200 times annual oil production, does that mean that a barrel of oil should really be valued at $12,000?.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:34 pm

I haven't read the article but discussion above disputing the market size suggesting that it is really par at 250 billion oz is just stated as fact without support. I don't believe it. I think you would be harnessed to find more than maybe 10 times annual production in storage. Most silver is consumed never to be reused or recycled.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby theo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:49 pm

True, using all the silver ever produced is also unrealistic. I'd want to know how much silver is available for delivery in a given period compared to the size of the paper market. Also I'd want to have the "paper market" defined. Do we include shares of silver ETFs and their options contracts? Do we count the notional value of those contracts? Do we also count the shares of mining companies and their attendant derivatives? Finally, and most-importantly, how does the composition and behavior of the silver paper market compare with those of other commodities, like oil? It is my understanding that the paper market for oil is truly massive.

As I've said before, I do believe there as been manipulation in the silver market; however throwing around wild numbers with little or no real analysis or research does not get us closer to the truth.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:55 am

Also the math is hard to figure out due to how Paper contracts are structured (NOTE: I'm not sure what math they are using but it is almost certainly not "spot on".)

Say you have a contract to buy at $100 expiring in January. Someone else buys a contract at $100 expiring in February. Someone else at $100 in March, etc.

Does that mean that the market is worth $100, $200? $100 x number of months? My guess is that in order to make the article writer's argument seem more valid that it is likely $100 x some large number X.

And this is just one of dozens of more complex examples where the same silver (contract of any kind) could be sold multiple times without implying any failure to deliver.

I'm not saying that the market isn't over sold, but it's very likely to be a lot closer to parity than this deceptively written article indicates.
barrytrot

Postby beauanderos » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:26 am

without taking the time to skim this article, my takeaway at this point is just another iteration of "if you don't hold it, you don't own it."

Don't presume that you own physical if all you've done is enter into paper contracts. Good luck getting your allocation, when everyone else decides it's time to do the same. :roll:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:37 am

One of the things that boggles my mind is the inherent contradiction here. People who don't trust governments and banks may invest in gold and silver. But then if they trust someone to store the metals for them, I just don't understand their line of reasoning.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:10 am

Most paper metal investors just treat it as yet another commodity.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Treetop » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 pm

Didnt people get forced to accept dollars instead of silver a few years back during a crunch? or was that only a rumor? Either way, in the age of "to big to fail" I expect that is exactly what would happen if push came to shove. whatever the real numbers, there is clearly more paper silver then deliverable silver for such contracts. So Id also expect the dollars you got in place of your silver couldnt in fact actually buy the allotted amount of silver. I know my silver would never be deliverable under such circumstances, Id never sell in such a market unless the feds found my treasure map and steal it. Silver is still ultimately a tiny market, it would be interesting to see how high it would be if each ounce someone bought actually existed and only had one owner. Of course I might never have gotten what I did if that was the case I expect silver was artificially low the whole time Ive bought.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:30 pm

To further elaborate on something TT's last post reminded me of:

Deliverable silver in the terms of these contracts is not generic silver - it is a very specific type of silver, being nominal 1000 oz certified london good delivery bars manufactured by one of the few acceptable suppliers. In that sense the article (which I still haven't read) is probably spot on - there is probably 250x the amount of paper traded as the amount of LGD bars (which back the paper) that is available.
68Camaro

Postby theo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:39 am

68Camaro wrote:To further elaborate on something TT's last post reminded me of:

Deliverable silver in the terms of these contracts is not generic silver - it is a very specific type of silver, being nominal 1000 oz certified london good delivery bars manufactured by one of the few acceptable suppliers. In that sense the article (which I still haven't read) is probably spot on - there is probably 250x the amount of paper traded as the amount of LGD bars (which back the paper) that is available.

Silver took another hit this morning; down .55 or about 3.5%. Platinum and Palladium are both down less than 1% while gold is down about 1.3%. I would assume that paper trading on all four metals is based on these "Good Delivery Bars." My question is what is different about the silver market that makes it subject to these waterfall declines. Is it the size of the market? The ratio of Good Delivery Bars to the paper market? The size and timing of the paper trades? If you guys know of an article that engages in this type of analysis, please post a link.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:23 pm

Many have theories. No one that is talking claims to be absolutely sure of why because they aren't privy to the specific details.

Possibly the truth will eventually come out after it's over. Maybe. But even then it might be decades too late to matter.
68Camaro

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals