Where to buy copper?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Where to buy copper?

Postby DaMangRon » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:26 pm

So I'm mostly a silver stacker and I horde copper cents but with copper spot price being so low I was thinking of buying some copper bullion. Looking around online seems it sells at a HUGE premium, 10 lbs bars are selling for double spot! Looking for any suggestions on where I might find the best deal on 100 lbs or so.
DaMangRon
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Where to buy copper?

Postby Computer Jones » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:39 pm

Have you checked the price of Buss Bars from a commercial electrical supply outlet?
If you can find some that aren't drilled, you'll have some nice copper bars, just cut them to the size you like.
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tinhorn » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:55 pm

I've been out of the biz for awhile, but it seems like the guys on eBay are selling bullion pennies pretty cheap. Just know that most of them are sorting with crap Chinese comparators, so you're probably getting about 95% copper cents. The asking prices on all the copper bullion glitz is just absurd.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:57 pm

Computer Jones wrote:Have you checked the price of Buss Bars from a commercial electrical supply outlet?
If you can find some that aren't drilled, you'll have some nice copper bars, just cut them to the size you like.

Can you expand on that a bit, please? What kind of pricing do you see on buss bars per pound? Are they 95%, or possibly higher?
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:06 am

Anything electrical will be essentially pure copper.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Morsecode » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:41 am

Thanks. I know this has been covered before, probably before my time.

What is the purity of typical copper plumbing?
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby theshoenlebens » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:15 am

theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:16 am

Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby silverstacker » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:15 am

You could ways do what thieves do and enter almost completed houses and take the copper pipes j/k obviously
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby messymessy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:15 pm

If you only want 100 pounds of copper, you should buy copper wire. Specifically, you should buy 12-2 or 14-2 Romex at Home Depot or Lowes. The prices on wire are the lowest I've been paying in years. Premiums are too high on copper bullion.

Buss bars at the supply house will be at too high of a premium to buy just for copper content.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals