1 gram Au chain links ??

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

1 gram Au chain links ??

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:19 pm

Does anyone know if there is a standard for gold chain links where each link has one gram of gold?
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: 1 gram Au chain links ??

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:20 pm

Doesn't seem likely since its clear than there are all different sizes of links.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:55 pm

Seems like there is a market for chains with each link having 1gm of Au. That would be a recognizable standard.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby mflugher » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:22 pm

I don't believe anyting like this exists, kind of alike a wearable combibar.

Its not a bad idea.

However are you going to want to have 1 gram of 14k per link? or one gram of 24k/link? If you want the 24k it will be nearly worthless as a necklace because it will be too soft etc. If you want 14k, then making it one gram would be rather silly.

Also your average necklace will have 50-100 links, 1 gram each will be a pretty bulky (expensive) necklace. It would also weigh a bit around your neck.

could it be done? yes.

Is it a good idea? someone will likely buy it.

Is it easier to just buy a necklace you like and keep a scale around? probably

If I wanted something like this a Charm bracelet type idea would probably be a better choice, then you can hang 1 gram bars off it.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:18 pm

Thank you, mflugher. I was thinking of one gram of actual Au per link. So 14kt gold would be made into 2 gram links.

Maybe a tennis bracelet would be better than a neck chain.

I do like the 17kt alloy I made for my ring, the color is really nice. It is 71% Au, 14.5% Ag, and 14.5% Cu. For this alloy to have one gram Au in each link, the total link weight would be 1.408450 g, rounding up a bit would be 1.41 grams for each link.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby mflugher » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:05 pm

how many links do you sell before it becomes too short for your purposes...

Would have to make hollow links to make any sense, otherwise it would quickly become too heavy for practical wear.

I think the idea is flawed once it comes into use.

Might be a good novelty...

If you want it made I can get you a price, but its custom work would likely be at least 50% over materials value which again calls into question the practicality of it for what I assume is your intended use...

I still think a charm bracelet with a bunch of 1 gram gold bars for charms is going to be a more practical choice for what you plan to do.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby Z00 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:20 pm

mflugher wrote:I still think a charm bracelet with a bunch of 1 gram gold bars for charms is going to be a more practical choice for what you plan to do.

How would the "charms" be attached? A bezel around the 1 gram bar? Is there an existing bezel in production or would it have to be produced?
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mflugher » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:35 pm

I have seen 1g bar bezels come in yes.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby mflugher » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:37 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COIN-bezel-fram ... 3a8ffd2d12

saw one for a 2.5 gram too. I'm sure there are plenty of them out there. Also they do make 1/20th panda bezels, 1/10th age bezels. I'm sure you could build quite a coin collection on a ladies wrist if you were so inclined...
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby mflugher » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:47 pm

Another option is to perhaps get a figoro style chain in 14k, that has one large elongated link followed by 3 curb style links, and then repeats. You could buy it a few inches too long and have it shortened, then you would be able to weigh the individual links of the extra inches. keep in mind in most day to day situations a gram of gold is more than you are going to want to spend in one place too.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:02 pm

hobo finds

Postby Z00 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:24 am

I get a 404 error.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:09 am

Would the same thing in grains be to small of a measurement? (Sorry, the old man was a reloader so grains comes to mind often.)
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby mflugher » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:23 am

A grain of gold would be far too small. 1 grain gold bars aren't even large enough to mark. I seem to remember them being approx 1 mm square.

I've seen them come in as well. they are always glued into some sort of cardboard/plastic holder.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:33 am

For mass production there are chain making machines. Custom made by hand would not be cost effective.

I'm thinking each 2-gram pre-link could be roller formed, with the roller imprinting "12KT Gold - 1 gram" in tiny font. Then the pre-links are fed into the chain machine and out comes a roll of wearable money.

I just realized that 50% gold in an alloy is only 12 karats. Its probably best to use 12K alloy to keep the weight and accounting simplified for the less informed.

Dang, that's not right either. The final weight depends on the masses of the other fractions of the alloy. You would need to use tungsten to make a 2g link that was 50% gold. Not sure if W alloys well with gold.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby mflugher » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:49 am

This is all true Idaho. However 12kt gold is just not a common alloy, you will be spending a ton of cash getting custom alloy. Better to stick with 10/14/18, you could even go middle eastern with 21/22k. If someone brought me a necklace marked 12k I would first assume it was gold filled, if it tested on acid I would pay 10k price for it because they don't make a 12k acid test... You would have to find a very open minded gold buyer probably with an xray gun to buy that necklace from you at any reasonable percentage of spot...

Probably more reasonable would be to make Gold ingots in the shape of some sort of carabiner, then you don't have to cut the chain every time you want to take a link off or add a link.

Another option is something more like Chinese coins, get Rodebaugh to make you some miniature Rodorolos with a hole in the middle, call them rodolifesavers and put them on a string or a gold rope chain :D Then you get 999 gold, easy to add/remove etc.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:49 pm

The whole point of the idea is to make "standardized" bits of gold (1g) that are wearable and look good. The holey coin might be a good way to go, but making them big enough might make them too heavy..

Chain links can be not welded closed, so they can be twisted open to remove. Not perfect, because it would be possible to accidentally open a link.

I'm not interested in making a few via our resident goldsmiths. I'm looking more towards starting a business to mass produce them.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby mflugher » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:40 pm

Rode can make you a prototype. Good luck with your venture.

I can also tell you that when looking for costume jewelry we look for unsoldered links as a telltale sign that they are not real.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:15 am

Mike Maloney sells 22k gold chains, but the premium is ridiculous.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:25 am

I don't think it will be successful. It sounds like in order to be able to do it, you are going to have a substantial cost above melt. You are going to spend a phenomenal amount of money on educating people on the concept. I also believe the one who is buying the jewelry is a different customer than is buying bullion. Though not wearable , combi bar is a similar concept. Their premiums are reasonable for what it is I believe.

PAMP also makes similar products ( albeit they just have one charm) and they are high dollar items.
TXBullion

Postby mflugher » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:38 am

22k and 21k in the mid east countries, China, and India is a common way to carry wealth around, it carries over from older times when they were nomadic tribes and needed a way to move wealth around while being mobile. 22k and 21k are basically like savings accounts for these people.

Usually they are traded as complete pieces or something that is broken/damaged will be cut up to make change etc.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals