What happens to coins during currency revaluations?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

What happens to coins during currency revaluations?

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:32 pm

I read something very thought-provoking recently and wanted to throw this out there for comment. Basically, the author (I think it was a survival blog site) said that frequently when currency is revalued it only affects currency, not coins. In other words, assume we are told that there is a brand new U.S. currency and one new $1 bill will be equal to a current $100 bill effective immediately. So a $100,000 bank account or cash you have on hand as a rainy day slush fund goes down 99% overnight. But this author basically said that often times the government doesn't want to mess around with pocket change (coins). So a single nickel you have in your pocket would be worth $5.00 (or perhaps even $50 if three zeros are dropped from the currency) overnight.

First, can anyone give any information (including links if possible) indicating how this was handled with currency devaluations since perhaps World War II? Any information about what happened in Zimbabwe, Mexico, Argentina or Yugoslavia would be nice.

And what about brokerage accounts where you have stocks, mutual funds, bonds and cash? I assume that the cash would be devalued immediately, but it is hard to imagine Apple stock suddenly being worth only 1/100 what it was yesterday. After all, they're still gonna sell a lot of iPhones.

What comments can anyone share on this matter?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What happens to coins during currency revaluations?

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:29 pm

Don't hold the currency when it's being reset. Why we stack other items of value and should start thinking seriously of using often, something other than U$D to make transactions with. Like what the rest of the world is setting it self up to do.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:23 pm

Generally from what I have read is the coins become 100% worthless as an monetary exchange. Normally new coins are issued. Mexico is a good example of this.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:11 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:I read something very thought-provoking recently and wanted to throw this out there for comment. Basically, the author (I think it was a survival blog site) said that frequently when currency is revalued it only affects currency, not coins. In other words, assume we are told that there is a brand new U.S. currency and one new $1 bill will be equal to a current $100 bill effective immediately. So a $100,000 bank account or cash you have on hand as a rainy day slush fund goes down 99% overnight. But this author basically said that often times the government doesn't want to mess around with pocket change (coins). So a single nickel you have in your pocket would be worth $5.00 (or perhaps even $50 if three zeros are dropped from the currency) overnight.

First, can anyone give any information (including links if possible) indicating how this was handled with currency devaluations since perhaps World War II? Any information about what happened in Zimbabwe, Mexico, Argentina or Yugoslavia would be nice.

And what about brokerage accounts where you have stocks, mutual funds, bonds and cash? I assume that the cash would be devalued immediately, but it is hard to imagine Apple stock suddenly being worth only 1/100 what it was yesterday. After all, they're still gonna sell a lot of iPhones.

What comments can anyone share on this matter?

look up a blogger FerFal, he's an argentine, who has written extensively what happens during a currency crisis, lives in Ireland now.

that's why I stack "bricks of nick's" as well, 40 $2 rolls of nickels....each role is a metallic two dollar bill.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby theo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:06 am

First I think Government/Fed is likely aware of the small but growing subculture that is hoarding coins. So I doubt they will simply allow these coins to be used as "new" currency. I think they would most-likely outlaw coins altogether to prevent these "hoarders" from profiting. Having said that, certain coins (nickels, Cu pennies) would probably retain some black market trade value.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby justoneguy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:50 am

Coins will have no value in an EBT only society
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:59 pm

imo any of the potentials others listed above is possible. I wouldnt pick any of them myself and assume it is what will happen here. Of course probably hard to go TO wrong with copper pennies, nickels and to a lesser degree zincs. Even if the coins become worthless, you still have some metal.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby doug » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:31 am

I am wondering what happens to the prices of products when the revaluation happens and also what happens to a loan. Like if you you owe $100,000 on a loan, does during say a 10 to 1 revaluation is the loan now $10,000?
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby coppernickel » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:30 pm

justoneguy wrote:Coins will have no value in an EBT only society

Wow, you are right.

Once the society is "cashless" then it will be really easy to drop zeros to any ability with no protection to the people.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Z00 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:49 pm

Wont the metal value reflect valuation in the "new" currency value structure?

Also, keep in mind the "Fed" does not control coinage that is still controlled by the Treasury dept.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cupronickel » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:24 pm

Coins generally disappear In the run-up to hyperinflation as their purchasing power goes to almost 0.
After the zero drop, the coins would be worth either their melt value or their face value (times 100, if 2 zeroes are dropped). $100 bricks of nickels are the easiest and safest way to go .
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions