I know this isn't about Gold or Silver...but...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I know this isn't about Gold or Silver...but...

Postby Pennybug » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:57 pm

didn't really know where else to post this... and it's kinda related... anyhow... :oops:

Anyone have any thoughts or do they currently deal with loose gemstones? It kinda interests me as a barter item... particularly in a SHTF scenario... but I know it's WAAAYYY more difficult to judge the value of these than it is for PM's. As far as an investment... I wouldn't put much money here... but again... I'm thinking of picking up a few things here and there.

Just in case this adds to the conversation... I'm looking on feebay and there seems to be some good deals there. Yes I know you can get crap there :( ... but the way I'm interpreting this is that given the bad economy... jewelry sales are DOWN. I believe that this is leading to gem sellers going on a fire sale of these things. I dunno... just interested in some feedback... good... bad... or indifferent. :D
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Re: I know this isn't about Gold or Silver...but...

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:01 am

Some gems are cheap because so many are getting popped out of rings and such with all the people selling their gold jewelry. I don't know how they would hold up in a barter scenario - most people would have even less of a clue than they do with coins and bullion.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:25 am

There is historical precedent for using jewels to get out of a tight spot (Jews escaping Germany comes to mind), but Americans today don't know what a silver Maple Leaf is worth, much less the difference between a real and fake gemstone. That's just my opinion I'm sure there are others.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:04 am

I would have to agree with AG on both posts. Im doing some research on diamonds for engagement rings and there is alot variables that affect the value of diamonds. These variables are very difficult to varify without the proper resources. So a SHTF scenario would make it difficult to know exactly what you are trading... However in a SHTF scenario the gem stone grades might not matter that much... Just a nice sparkle will do.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:02 am

The key point with gem/jewels, and gold, is "value density" or VD. Gold has a higher VD than silver, silver has a higher VD than copper. Jewels may or may not have a higher VD than gold, depending on the stone.

In the SHTF scenario if you can stay put where you are, silver may be your best store of value. But if you need to run away, then the higher the VD, the better off you may be with your choice of store of value, copper, silver, gold, or gems. It boils down to how much value can you put in your pocket, or sew into your clothes; or in the worst case scenario, store in your rectum or vagina.

Sorry about that last bit, the truth is sometimes not delicate.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby flbandit » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:45 am

I have some Gemstones, though not really that many. I do it more as a collector than anything else. I figure the more options you have, the better.
flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Roadrunner » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:16 am

Nickelmeister will probably chime in here...interesting topic!
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennybug » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:38 am

Interesting bandit.... Care to elaborate on your collection some? Where/how did you acquire them? Any suggestions on what to look for/ or look out for (size, type, cut, fakes, etc)? I'd love to hear some of your further comments on this. You seem to be at exactly where I am heading to.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:47 am

Roadrunner wrote:Nickelmeister will probably chime in here...interesting topic!

Yes, through my cash-for-gold operation I acquire quite a few loose diamonds. Most are on the smaller size, as I give my customers the option of retaining their diamond(s) when I buy their used jewellery. Most take them, but a few don't bother. Selling them on the wholesale market I tend to get $100-250/carat for smaller stuff, depending on the quality of course. For the larger stones, it's all about the individual cut, colour, shape, clarity, polish, fluorescence, proportions, symmetry, etc.

I have no opinion on their usefulness in a SHTF scenario, other than they do possess a high "value density" as someone has pointed out and are easier to move around undetected than metal (which tends to set off various detectors).

If anyone here is interested in buying a sample bag of small diamonds feel free to PM me.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals