Silver Nickels...illegal to melt??

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver Nickels...illegal to melt??

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:16 pm

I'm guessing yes, see no exceptions in the ban. It simply says 5 cent and 1 cent coins.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Re: Silver Nickels...illegal to melt??

Postby PennyPauper » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:19 pm

It's legal,and you can export them.They are a tiny fraction of total nickels.There is a exemption for them.

(d) The prohibition contained in § 82.1 against the exportation, melting, or treatment of 5-cent coins shall not apply to 5-cent coins inscribed with the years 1942, 1943, 1944, or 1945 that are composed of an alloy comprising copper, silver and manganese.

Check this post viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3230
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:30 pm

Thanks.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby misteroman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:47 pm

wow, wouldn't have guessed that.
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:38 pm

From what I understand, millions were shipped overseas and melted. The Manganese content makes it tough to melt (smelt) here in the US diue to the EPA rules. It's really amazing that with current silver pricing these common bullion coins (0.05626 oz each) now melt for over $1.50 each.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wagsthadog » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:04 am

Hi there-

Just unsolicited advice- One thing I learned the hard way, unless you own a multimillion dollar refining facility, don't try it. Silver of that low a purity will be impossible to sell and will be a neverending hassle.(If you're looking to melt and resell)

Just like pennies- it's already a recognized, accepted, and professionally made product, why melt it and destroy it? You'd be making much more work for yourself. If you just have like five or six nickels you want to try to melt in your garage, go for it, but if you're thinking of buying a bag to melt, I really wouldn't.

just my .02c

wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals