Strange Selling Experience- dealer paying ABOVE spot!?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Strange Selling Experience- dealer paying ABOVE spot!?

Postby Economist » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:59 pm

My brother in Colorado Springs calls me today-- he sold a few ounces of .999 silver to a highly reputable local dealer (Hallenbeck) at, get this, spot + $.50! I'm thinking, hmm that's odd--in my experience dealers usually buy at a discount from spot.

We both concluded that this portends very strong demand on the part of hoarders/ speculators.
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Strange Selling Experience- dealer paying ABOVE spot!?

Postby aloneibreak » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:07 pm

Economist wrote:We both concluded that this portends very strong demand on the part of hoarders/ speculators.

i agree

he needs inventory and needs it badly

i'd be curious to see his markup on selling price
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby tbram88 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:29 pm

Two weeks ago my LCS was paying spot for 90% and he never does that, he usually is 1.5 to 2x under but he was totally sold out of "junk" (man I hate that term)

Maybe your brother had some Englehard or JM that would bring a premium.

Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:45 pm

I remember when silver dropped down to $9 APMEX was emailing me offering to buy at $2.50 above face.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby bman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:23 am

That dealer might have had an order that he was getting a good price for that he just couldn't fill with his current inventory. He might have been selling $5000 face at spot+ and only had $4500 face on hand that he paid well below current spot price for, he would still make a good percentage even after paying over spot for that last $500
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals