10oz bars, removing heavy toning ??

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

10oz bars, removing heavy toning ??

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:58 pm

I get that you should not clean or de-tone silver coins.

Is there any reason why you shouldn't remove toning from 10oz bars? I bought some recently that are heavily toned. They will look a lot better cleaned up.

Usually, I clean up my silver plate utensils with a water bath of baking soda with Aluminium foil and stainless steel as the anodes. The toning is quickly removed.

Comments or advice?
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: 10oz bars, removing heavy toning ??

Postby Thogey » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:11 pm

TARNEX
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby wolvesdad » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:19 pm

If very dark, they were probably stored/hidden in a large PVC pipe. My dad stored some silver dollars and a PVC pipe when I was young, and it horribly darkened/ toned them.

I would use ypur aluminum method. See if it works for that type of toning. You aren't going to hurt the content or value of silver bullion by cleaning it with the aluminum foil bath, or with Tarnex either(though any rubbing is likely to give it a funny appearance).
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:43 pm

Thogey wrote:TARNEX

Tarnex works great on silver...that's what it is formulated to do. When I lived in Oregon back in 2013 my LCS was selling mint ASE's for $4 over spot and tarnished ones for just $2 over spot. I'd first buy his tarnished ones and carefully remove the tarnish with a Q-tip dipped in an even mixture of Tarnex and water. They cleaned up perfectly and they stayed that way for several months until the day I sold them....can't say what happened to their appearance after that. 8-)
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:55 pm

I put them in the salt and baking soda bath with foil for about 20 min. Here are the before and after photos:

- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:01 pm

They turned out real nice plus you saved the $5 on a bottle of Tarnex :thumbup:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:24 pm

Don't do this with bars that are actually premium vintage stuff like Englehard pours or older things like that. The patina is preferred intact on those. With modern stuff sure why not.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals