Anybody hoard tin?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Anybody hoard tin?

Postby natsb88 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:32 pm

68Camaro wrote:Well, [at the wholesale level, in bulk] copper bars are traded/exchanged for spot... That's what the spot price is based on, and why salvage prices are lower than spot. "Retail" price will be higher, of course.

The wholesale level, of course, being 25,000 pound paper contracts on COMEX. Don't forget to consider brokerage fees when you buy or sell. If you want the physical cathodes instead of cashing in the contract, be prepared to pay delivery fees on top of your contract price and brokerage fees. "Spot" price is based on paper. The end price to obtain new physical .999 copper is always higher.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 999Ni » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Image
^Tin

Can I just add him to the stash? Sell off an arm or leg here and there? :lol:
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Pennybug » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 pm

999Ni wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Image
^Tin

Can I just add him to the stash? Sell off an arm or leg here and there? :lol:

:lol: ....

I wish I had him during tax time! I already give my own arms and legs to the IRS every April. Sure would be nice to be able to break off one of his and sell it to one of you guys... seeing how the IRS doesn't take PM's or in this case... TM's (that's Tin Men)... right now... :lol:
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pennybug » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:41 pm

As a percentage of spot, the "premium" will always be more for copper than it is for silver, simply because silver is currently selling for 6.5 times the price of copper. But that doesn't make the copper any cheaper to process, handle, mint, transport, etc. There are a lot of fixed costs involved in producing bullion regardless of what metal you are working with (and there are some higher variable costs with copper because it melts at a higher temperature and is more reactive to oxygen when molten, requiring more energy to melt and special care when casting). If $0.34 per troy oz over spot is too much, then what would be acceptable?

After reviewing others views on these bars...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3504

It is the opinion of others on this site that these bars are not seen as investments due to their cost over spot (which this crowd would easily statistically represent the US population that invests in PM's). They are seen more as a novelty (which is fine... if folks are willing to buy them for what others are charging... then who cares why they are buying them right?) .34 over spot is too much over to be seen as an investment. Even the ones that own them admit that. My suspicion is that about 10% to 20% over spot (may be even 50%) would have people look at these as true investments... not 200% over.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby natsb88 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Pennybug wrote:After reviewing others views on these bars...

http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3504

It is the opinion of others on this site that these bars are not seen as investments due to their cost over spot (which this crowd would easily statistically represent the US population that invests in PM's). They are seen more as a novelty (which is fine... if folks are willing to buy them for what others are charging... then who cares why they are buying them right?) .34 over spot is too much over to be seen as an investment. Even the ones that own them admit that. My suspicion is that about 10% to 20% over spot (may be even 50%) would have people look at these as true investments... not 200% over.

You will never see copper bars at 10% - 20% over spot (unless spot increases by an order of magnitude). You simply cannot produce copper bars and sell them for 10% over spot and profit. Period. That would be $0.45 per POUND, or the equivalent of producing brand new silver bars and selling them for 3 cents over spot. The producers would be running in the red.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals