coinstar finds

Tracking Threads Only
By request, this area is only for coin sorting tracking threads. To reduce clutter only threads authorized by Realcent Admin are allowed here. Ask if you have an idea for a new tracking thread. Happy searching!

Re: coinstar finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:10 am

13 cents in and on the ground near the Coinstar machine at a local grocery store. No good dates.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:42 am

With this posting I am going to stop posting every penny, nickel and dime I find in or near the Coinstar machine. If I find something remarkable like a silver coin or a valuable or very old coin, then I will post it. But I'm active enough as it is on this site and need to take some steps towards being more productive with my time.

I will still be PLENTY active on the other parts of this fantastic site! Also, I will continue to check to see what others find.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:27 am

Recyclersteve wrote:With this posting I am going to stop posting every penny, nickel and dime I find in or near the Coinstar machine. If I find something remarkable like a silver coin or a valuable or very old coin, then I will post it. But I'm active enough as it is on this site and need to take some steps towards being more productive with my time.

I will still be PLENTY active on the other parts of this fantastic site! Also, I will continue to check to see what others find.

list them by the month like I am donig
hobo finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:32 pm

Even listing by month is not a productive use of my time. I'll pass- thanks.

Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:06 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Even listing by month is not a productive use of my time. I'll pass- thanks.

ok...
hobo finds

Postby cwgii » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:02 pm

today was
1 quarter
1 nickel
16 pennies
cwgii

Postby MUTiger » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:45 pm

Had to go to Wal-Mart today to get a drain pan to change a radiator. Total cost after tax $3.23. Stopped by the Coinstar on the way out and found

Coinstar Find 11_27_17.jpg
Coinstar Find 11_27_17.jpg (81.31 KiB) Viewed 3219 times

1 - 1964 Washington Quarter
1 - 1975-D Lincoln Cent

I figure my trip was almost a wash for a $3.09 find.

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:48 pm

mutiger wrote:Had to go to Wal-Mart today to get a drain pan to change a radiator. Total cost after tax $3.23. Stopped by the Coinstar on the way out and found

Coinstar Find 11_27_17.jpg

1 - 1964 Washington Quarter
1 - 1975-D Lincoln Cent

I figure my trip was almost a wash for a $3.09 find.

MUTiger

But you will keep the drain pan for future use so you have already made money!
hobo finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:36 pm

I've gotten a few silver dimes at Coinstars over the years, but don't believe I ever got a quarter. Congrats.

Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:55 pm

November Coinstar and found on the ground finds

$1.79 USD

$.02 Euro France
hobo finds

Postby coindood » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:52 pm

November totals (2017 totals)

While I managed to eke out a few finds this month, on more than one occasion I've seen kids loitering near my new Coinstar source. Time for these urchins to move along because there's a new collector in town. :mrgreen:

1¢ - $.12 ($4.30)
5¢ - .00 (3.95)
10¢ - .30 (6.00)
25¢ - .25 (25.25)
50¢ - .00 (.50)
$1 - .00 (1.00)
Total - $0.67 ($41.00)

No foreign or tokens
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cwgii » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:14 pm

2015 mexico 50cent at the coin machine today
cwgii

Postby hobo finds » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:38 pm

So a guy was just leaving the coinstar and I notice 2 coins on the counter, so I went over and got them as soon as I had them in my hand a old guy comes up to me and says the guy in line they are his, I said no he left them. So the old guy gets the guy from the line and has him come up to me, I say these were left on the counter and the guy takes them! LOL I guess the old guy was so pissed that I beat him to the coins he made sure I did not get them! As I go to pay and leave the store I notice the old guy going to every self checkout station looking for coins!
hobo finds

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:12 pm

Checked the coinstar at Walmart last night. Got 42 cents. 1 quarter, 1 dime and 7 cents. All USA coins with no problems. Not sure why they were in the reject chute, but I'll take em!
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silverflake » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:43 am

JACKPOT!!!!!! (At least in my world)

Went to my regular Kroger last night and after checkout I always check the coinstar. Walking out with my wife and she says, "You going to check it?" (She knows me so well). Of course I go to check it. I get within 8-10 feet of the machine and I see a bunch of shiny gold in there. I immediately think "tokens". Its probably chuckie cheese or carwash tokens. Even my wife saw them and asked aloud, "What are those?". But as I get up to it I see edge lettering on them. I then know what they are. I reach in and scoop out the tray and pocket it. We walk outside and i pull the mass of metal out of my pocket...just as I thought, they were Presidential dollars, all brand spanking new! I counted and the haul was 19 (nineteen) Presidential dollars, 5 quarters and a penny! $20.26 left sitting in coinstar. I felt good finding it but I was incredulous that someone would leave that without checking. Crazy. Anyhow, friday night family pizza was paid for!

Keep stacking, even if you have to use coinstar!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:02 pm

silverflake wrote:JACKPOT!!!!!! (At least in my world)

Went to my regular Kroger last night and after checkout I always check the coinstar. Walking out with my wife and she says, "You going to check it?" (She knows me so well). Of course I go to check it. I get within 8-10 feet of the machine and I see a bunch of shiny gold in there. I immediately think "tokens". Its probably chuckie cheese or carwash tokens. Even my wife saw them and asked aloud, "What are those?". But as I get up to it I see edge lettering on them. I then know what they are. I reach in and scoop out the tray and pocket it. We walk outside and i pull the mass of metal out of my pocket...just as I thought, they were Presidential dollars, all brand spanking new! I counted and the haul was 19 (nineteen) Presidential dollars, 5 quarters and a penny! $20.26 left sitting in coinstar. I felt good finding it but I was incredulous that someone would leave that without checking. Crazy. Anyhow, friday night family pizza was paid for!

Keep stacking, even if you have to use coinstar!

Hey, and if you promise to bring your Presidential dollars to the Coinstar near me (notice how I didn't say near you), there will be no fee whatsoever! (That's because they will end up in the reject chute, of course.) :)

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:49 pm

one tiny 1c euro coin
cwgii

Postby Bigjohn » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:25 pm

Nice score :thumbup:
It’s been months since I found a red cent in a coinstar. All 3 stores near me (Safeway, Fred Meyer, QFC) have their coinstar machine by the cashier and about 2 feet away from the bagger so they are watched 24/7. Before I moved, the local store had their coinstar by the entrance and that one produced well :x
Open a coinbase account and both of us will get $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec
Bigjohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:58 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:I've gotten a few silver dimes at Coinstars over the years, but don't believe I ever got a quarter. Congrats.

I wrote the above quote less than a month ago when mutiger found a silver quarter at his local Coinstar machine. And, today, on Christmas Eve, I found a 1963-D quarter in the reject area of a local Coinstar- pretty sure this is a first for me (first silver qtr. from a Coinstar machine), although I've found quite a few silver dimes. For what it is worth, the same machine today had two clad dimes. So 45 cents total.

I know previously I said I wouldn't be posting everything I find in the Coinstar machines, but this was pretty special so I thought I'd post.

Recyclersteve

Postby silverflake » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:53 pm

When you're hot, you're hot.....

After scoring over $20 in the coinstar last week, my wife goes to the Kroger today to pick up some things. Remembering my find last week, she stops by the coinstar and reaches in. Lo and behold, a sacagewea dollar, 5 quarters including a '76 bicentennial and an 82 proof, a 1984 Canadian dime and a zincoln penny! The gift that keeps on giving! We are planning our retirement based on this coinstar machine. $2.36 today, $20.26 last week....running 2 day tally = $22.62.

Sweeeeet!

Stack!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:48 pm

silverflake wrote:When you're hot, you're hot.....

After scoring over $20 in the coinstar last week, my wife goes to the Kroger today to pick up some things. Remembering my find last week, she stops by the coinstar and reaches in. Lo and behold, a sacagewea dollar, 5 quarters including a '76 bicentennial and an 82 proof, a 1984 Canadian dime and a zincoln penny! The gift that keeps on giving! We are planning our retirement based on this coinstar machine. $2.36 today, $20.26 last week....running 2 day tally = $22.62.

Sweeeeet!

Stack!

You found dollar coins in the same machine twice in a short period of time. I wonder if it was the same person who put the dollar coins in both times and didn't think to check for rejects...

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:30 pm

2 ZINCS
cwgii

Postby silverflake » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:46 pm

The well ain't dry yet. Last night, two dimes and two copper pennies in same coinstar that left all those golden dollars over the last 2 weeks.

Keep it coming, the coinstar retirement plan.

Keep stacking.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:51 pm

December Coinstar and found on the ground finds

$3.00 USD

Pocket change $.25 Canada
Last edited by hobo finds on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
hobo finds

Postby hobo finds » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:52 pm

2017 Year end Coinstar and Found on the ground finds

$26.44 USD including
1910 wheat
1943 steel cent
1957 wheat
1960 dime

$.20 Canada
$.13 Euros from Spain, Italy, France and Germany
$.10 pound Great Brittan
$2.85 Pesos Mexico
$.50 Ghana Cedi
$.20 So. Korea Won

Obsolete coinage

Tokens
Cinemark Tokens 4
Century 1
restroom token
carwash token old car image 6
Dynamite Car Wash Token 2

Misc
small non magnetic silver color ring not marked
Frys Food Store Gift Card $2.29
Reid Park Zoo Smashed Penny
2 Guitar picks

Pocket Change Finds
1944 wheat cent pocket change
1947 S wheat cent pocket change
1948 wheat cent pocket change
1958 D wheat cent pocket change
$.32 Canada
Last edited by hobo finds on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
hobo finds

PreviousNext

Return to Tracking Threads Only