SELL MY SILVER STACK?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

SELL MY SILVER STACK?

Postby panther » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:13 pm

is this going to correct again, or is the world craziness/wisconsin craziness going to drive silver more towards $40?

I've got 2 rolls of eagles and $50 face.. have offer from craigslist to sell the rolls for $700 each and 23.5x on the face (all quarters and dimes). sell or hold? :/
panther
Penny Sorter Member

Re: SELL MY SILVER STACK?

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:18 pm

There are people here who would glady pay that much for your silver.

I would hold it for at least two more weeks.

But, I could be wrong, also.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:23 pm

if you don't need the cash, I would wait
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby tbram88 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:30 pm

I would say it depends on when you got it (what you paid) if this is a bump,you could clean up and replace it all again next week or two.

If I paid around 15x for 90% I would jump to sell and wait for another dip. It really depends on what you think will happen in the near future.

I thought I won when I sold my hoard at $20.00 a few years ago, I was wrong and am still rebuilding.

Good luck...Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby panther » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:36 pm

i paid between 18-20x. i buy and sell a lot, i was up to about $100 face but cashed out at 20.25x a few weeks ago.. FAIL...

id just kick myself if these protests about pay cuts spread to other states.. this could get serious!
panther
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Beau » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:25 pm

panther wrote:i paid between 18-20x. i buy and sell a lot, i was up to about $100 face but cashed out at 20.25x a few weeks ago.. FAIL...
id just kick myself if these protests about pay cuts spread to other states.. this could get serious!

don`t worry now Hold On, silver will always go up and down, buy what you can in

the dips, and if you want to sell when silver goes up, but that is a bad way to go if

you are tight on money.

I hope the pay cuts do not spread to other states, but if they do don`t worry we

will make it some way, we have before and will again.

the Egypt thing is spreading to other countries is what bothers me more than the

USA.

the other thing is food because of the freeze in Mexico and Florida.

GOOD LUCK
Beau

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:26 pm

Rebellion is afoot throughout the world, just hit China. Uncertainty leads the elites to stockpile that which has always held value rather than their worthless paper so I am betting that prices are still going to go up a bit in the near term probably close to 35. I think Sheikh-yer-booty is giving good advice on holding for a couple more weeks.. Robust demand over spot on the feebay makes me think it won't go down below 30 again. Just my opinion based on my limited knowledge.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby davycoppitt » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:34 pm

I think Ill be dumping some in the coming weeks. My plan is to buy back this summer if it corrects, but if it doesn't I might just stick it into gold at this ratio.
davycoppitt
Penny Pincher Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:29 am

I think the turmoil in the Mid-East is the presently most significant driver.

The thing to remember is those Arabic cultures are really, really big on revenge. Now that the governments are shooting and killing the protesters, it will only fan the flames until the regimes are deposed.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby 97guns » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:47 am

beauanderos wrote:if you don't need the cash, I would wait

a agree, is there a better vehicle right now to store your FRN's? you guys that trade pysical will get shut out one day when you go to rebuy, imo physical is cor accumulating and hoarding and nothing more.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby Treetop » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:04 pm

97guns wrote:
beauanderos wrote:if you don't need the cash, I would wait

a agree, is there a better vehicle right now to store your FRN's? you guys that trade pysical will get shut out one day when you go to rebuy, imo physical is cor accumulating and hoarding and nothing more.

I agree totally. There could be money to be had doing such things, day traders do it all the time and some of them very well. But thats all on paper without the original premiums. I find it very likely it will jump 10-20 over a month or two period, and find much higher bottoms, many people will loose their stack trying to play with things we cannot fully anticipate.

Take this for instance, a friend of mine bought in at 17 or so a few years back, then cashed out just over 20. He was grinning ear to ear since I had held mine, and strongly suggested he not play around. He bought back in at around 14 or so having done better calling the ceiling then he did the floor (which was around 10 I think), but still had gotten a solid chunk more silver and was pleased.

So then when we had our recent price surge, (not this one, but the one that brought us to the 30 range to begin with) and he was ready to go again. I dont know the exact numbers this time but he did NOT call the ceiling this time. He called me swearing to me he was seeing the same indicators, and I should sell. He sold several dollars below the peak, then when it dropped a bit, and headed back up, he bought back in at 4-5 dollars over what he had sold for afraid he would be cut out entirely. It has yet to drop below what he sold at!!!!! Although it did go a bit below what he bought back in at. Long story short he lost a little between the two deals. Which really annoyed him because I called one of the peaks and then a small drop and ended up upgrading my collection a bit, not that thats a big deal I didnt end up with more silver.... but it was fun.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:51 pm

in think the changing of the puppets is a sideshow and the main event is the short squeeze on the comex. rumors are that the chinese are long silver and will stand for delivery. they just jacked up the margin requirements (which was the ace up their sleeves to take down the Hunts in 1980) and it had no effect. should be some fireworks this week.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:57 pm

If JPMorganChase truly has the power to manipulate the silver market as many believe they do, and, if there is a short squeeze about to happen, why can't JPMorgan allow the prices to make a sudden jump to shake out some sellers (a bunch of players who bought at $15 or $20)? If many playeers sell now, it will allow JPM to buy a lot and ease their critical position. wouldn't it be better for us to hang on? I understand, of course, that many will want to cash out though.

The fundamentals for a US sovereign default remain unchanged. I say hoard and hold and buy some more and never sell until things get really bad and then only let go of your AG a few dimes at a time.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Coppercrazy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:47 pm

I too think its time to hold unless you need to cash some in for some emergency expense.Im kicking myself for not buying in the 26s I was so close to hitting up my local coin and pawns,but stuck to rolls instead...i feel like buying a little junk at spot at the coin shop tomarrow just to prove to myself that im all in,and not just a bargain hunter! silver at face is awesome even if its one in 5000 (last dime bag)
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:05 pm

The decision to hold or sell depends on one’s objective.

If you’re looking to cash out and take profits, then consider selling. You don’t have to sell it all. You can sell some and take the money off the table. See what the price does next. If you’re objective is to have silver as part of your net worth, than consider holding it.

Figure out what your objectives are first then you’ll be able to answer your own question better. If silver has a place in your overall net worth, what % is it? How many .oz’s do you want to hold? Etc…
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:03 am

So your advice is to sell it if you want to sell it, or keep it if you want to keep it?

:lol: :mrgreen:
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:54 am

Devil Soundwave wrote:So your advice is to sell it if you want to sell it, or keep it if you want to keep it?

:lol: :mrgreen:

Devil, did you miss the part about, what is the objective? :lol:

None of us know what this person's financial picture looks like. Maybe s/he needs the money. If so, then yes, sell. If you don’t need the money, then it’s whole other kettle of fish. My point is what is your plan for the silver? Is it taking profits or is it part to your overall financial picture. Answer those questions and you’ll be better equipped to answer the question of when to sell or not sell.

It’s the same way you approach investing in stocks or bonds. Is this a trade? i.e. do I sell it once it moves 10% up or down. You think some hot software company is about to have a good (or bad) earnings surprise. Or is an investment that you plan on holding unless the story changes. I.e. buying dividend paying blue chip stocks, such as a utility company.

Point is, have a plan. But always remember that A) God laughs at your plans and B) Plans, like the wind, can and will change over time. Even though we can’t predict the future, like Boy Scouts, you should “Be Prepared”. 8-)
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals