Canadian Mint new 'bullion'

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Canadian Mint new 'bullion'

Postby franklin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks for the explanations. I had semi-researched the question and found that there are 2 official languages but didn't know if it was just a formality to include French. I now know.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby wiper » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:22 pm

i'm not catching what the canadian government gets out of this?
wiper

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:09 pm

Damn you Cunucks! This American peasant wants some of these coins! Very good idea. I am not sure about the whole Canadian government but the Royal mint makes a tidy profit and this is brilliant marketing/ advertisement for them.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:01 pm

wiper wrote:i'm not catching what the canadian government gets out of this?

Well they are making a tidy profit out of this. I would sell 7g's of silver for $20 all day.. or atleast until silver goes too high to make that profitable.

I think its great. Its kind of a win win for everyone involved. The problem with all this publicity is Im constantly reminded that my coins havent come in the mail yet.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Copper » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:55 pm

I think the government is doing this so the Canadian realcenters have 60 bucks less to buy pennies and nickels with, that way they can extract and sell the copper and nickel (ARP), and make money on silver they bought for $10 in 2008 :lol: Ha ha I just ordered three!
Copper

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:01 pm

yeah....very cool. I will have to keep an eye out on the bay for one of these coins.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:17 pm

Maybe the Canadian government knows something the rest of the world hasn't recognized yet... the true value of silver? $117.73 an ounce (which is what you're paying). But perhaps they expect the manipulations to suppress the price to come to a quick end? This could actually be a devious way to keep silver from depleting more rapidly than it already does. Spend your $60 on three of these... instead of two full ounces of .999 silver maple leaves? Uh, uh... no thanks. :cry:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:34 pm

No, I'm going to profit on this deal. There is no way that these coins will go lower than the face value we are paying. Would you not prefer a solid silver coin over a piece of paper.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:38 pm

I'll pay 21 bucks for one! :D
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:53 am

JadeDragon wrote:No, I'm going to profit on this deal. There is no way that these coins will go lower than the face value we are paying. Would you not prefer a solid silver coin over a piece of paper.

Yes, they are a superior way to hold money than paper is. But why would you tie up much money (opportunity cost) other for then a few of these as novelty coins? I will admit it's a progressive step forward from some savvy marketing people within the RCM. Anything that hastens the depletion of above-ground silver supplies (and therefore causes the shorts to have to cover) wins my approval. And, yes... I would prefer a SOLID silver coin, not one that contains only a few grams.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Treetop » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:10 am

Wow, If I could get those at face value, or a U.S. made a similar coin, I would have something to hedge my silver bets...... :)
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:57 pm

I just noticed 3 in the mail when I returned home from the mint where I was purchasing 3.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:04 pm

This coin is amazing! I wish they would do that will all coinage! Put a little "real metal" in there to make it collectable. It's genious and simple at the same time :)
barrytrot

Postby fasTT » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:05 pm

Got my 3 in the mail today.

Very well done RCM. About time you made something worth the money.
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tbram88 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:47 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:yeah....very cool. I will have to keep an eye out on the bay for one of these coins.

Here ya go kinda steep at $33.00 USD http://cgi.ebay.com/2011-20-CANADA-PURE-SILVER-MAPLE-LEAF-COIN-ROYAL-MINT-/280633526770?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41570fc9f2

$4.75 P/Gm. shipped wow!

Beautiful coin though, I would probably pay $30.00 but that's it.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby Treetop » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:04 am

id love to have a grand in these or so. Much better then a stack of FRNs at the house. it keeps me from tapping into it, but also it will always be worth something. Id get a stack of them even at $50 face for a 1/4 ounce.

In reference to what beauanderos said. i dont think this would alter the course to much for most PM holders. what it could do though is get a bit of silver into hands of people who might not save it otherwise, which is a good thing.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Diggin4copper » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:58 am

I picked up 3 just to have.. had to pay a premium to get them onto US soil....
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:59 pm

frugalcanuck wrote:
wiper wrote:i'm not catching what the canadian government gets out of this?

Well they are making a tidy profit out of this. I would sell 7g's of silver for $20 all day.. or atleast until silver goes too high to make that profitable.

I think its great. Its kind of a win win for everyone involved. The problem with all this publicity is Im constantly reminded that my coins havent come in the mail yet.

They could also make a $20 out of steel and make even more money.

Is Canada trying to bring more strength to their dollar or what is their "gimmick" for these?
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:43 pm

I think the gimmick is partially getting your mailing address for their junk mail.
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:07 am

Agreed, a big part of it is building a mailing list of people interested in collector coins. When we got them at the RCM store the two things they wanted were the cash and a slip filled out with my mailing address.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:12 am

JadeDragon wrote:Agreed, a big part of it is building a mailing list of people interested in collector coins. When we got them at the RCM store the two things they wanted were the cash and a slip filled out with my mailing address.

Which list will be used later for confiscating said collector coins along with all others found on the premises.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:41 am

shinnosuke wrote:
JadeDragon wrote:Agreed, a big part of it is building a mailing list of people interested in collector coins. When we got them at the RCM store the two things they wanted were the cash and a slip filled out with my mailing address.

Which list will be used later for confiscating said collector coins along with all others found on the premises.

I don't keep any coins on the premises, so good luck.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:57 am

JadeDragon wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:

I don't keep any coins on the premises, so good luck.

Smart lady.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:34 pm

so these $20 coins are fetching $40 on e-bay right now
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:54 pm

I went to the mint today on my way home from work for more and they said they are sold out. They told me that you cant even buy them online anymore.
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals