Which Silver Coins Command the Largest Premium?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Which Silver Coins Command the Largest Premium?

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:26 am

I'm getting away from any coins that have numismatic value. Can give me a rough idea how these coins rank in terms of the premiums they generally carry above and beyond their melt value? I know that it will depend on date, mint and condition. I'm talking in general, excluding rare dates and mints and assuming they are all similar in condition. Does an American Silver Eagle for example, generally command a higher premium than say a Franklin Half, for example? How would you rank the following coins in terms of premium value?

American Silver Eagles (1987-1992)
Peace Dollars
Morgan Dollars
Franklin Halves
1964 Kennedy Halfs
Barber Halves

Thanks!
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Re: Which Silver Coins Command the Largest Premium?

Postby misteroman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:22 am

Eagles. Morgans. Peace. Barbers. Franks. Kennedys.
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Roadrunner » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:28 am

ditto Mr. O!
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:21 pm

Thanks Mr. O and Roadrunner! Just curious, why do Franks carry a greater premium than Kennedys? And why Morgans more than Peace Dollars? Does it have to do with there being fewer in existence, is it the age of the coins, or is there some other reason. I'm always trying to learn more.
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby tbram88 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:15 pm

How would you guys rate Canadian Maples to ASE's.?
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby toomuchcopper » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:22 pm

Eagles.Maples. Morgans. Peace. Barbers. Franks. Kennedys.
for more information on copper pennies and copper penny sorting go to
WWW.CRAZYCOINGUY.COM
toomuchcopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:20 pm

OK. All other things being equal, (not counting rare dates), do you prefer to hold your junk silver in Mercury Dimes, Roosevelt Dimes or Washington Quarters? In the experience of those who read this, is one more likely to pay a higher price above and beyond the melt value for one or more of these? I read somewhere that among junk silver investors, dimes are preferred over quarters for some reason. If you think this is true, which type of silver dimes, Mercury or pre-'64 Roosevelts?
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 pm

You'll get more for your money buying Rosies than Mercs (wear factor, mercs are lighter in bulk) and you'll pay a small numismatic premium for Mercs as they are more of a
collectible. Investors who favor dimes over quarters foresee a day when silver is much higher in price, and the smallest transactions will be most easily dealt with via paying
with the smallest value silver-bearing coin. There's also the chance that, if silver soars in value, people will place a premium (as is witnessed in gold fractionals) on dimes as
opposed to larger denominations. If you can buy 1964 rolls of any denomination silver coins without paying a premium, that would be your best bet. If you're just getting started,
buy a roll or two of each, then stack what you like. When you get an amount you're content with, at that point you might enjoy picking up some earlier type coins just for novelty
and preservation of United States coinage... that I foresee disappearing within ten years.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks beauanderos!

Would you (anyone else please chime in as well), say that the small numismatic premium for Mercs means that you will usually get more silver for your money with pre-'64 Washington quarters than you will with Mercs? I know there are a lot of variables, and I'm bordering on asking people to over generalize. I'm just trying to get opinions, because I was surprised when I first discovered that many investors preferred dimes over quarters.
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Derek.Sheriff wrote:Thanks beauanderos!

Would you (anyone else please chime in as well), say that the small numismatic premium for Mercs means that you will usually get more silver for your money with pre-'64 Washington quarters than you will with Mercs? I know there are a lot of variables, and I'm bordering on asking people to over generalize. I'm just trying to get opinions, because I was surprised when I first discovered that many investors preferred dimes over quarters.

Look, I am hoping for the best, but trying to prepare my family both financially and mentally for the rough times ahead. Personally, if things go bad, all the class envy and race baiting that has gone on for the past several decades is going to cause a breakdown in the US similar to the situation in Yugoslavia. I believe there will be shooting in the streets between different "groups" and also between patriots and those who would follow a more tyrannical path. It will be all we can do to hold our blessed Union together.

Under those circumstances, you will be glad you have silver nickels or dimes when you purchase something because flashing the bigger coins will be an indication of wealth. I've traveled some of the friendlier locations in the 3rd world and know about keeping a low profile. Nuff said!
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Derek.Sheriff wrote:Thanks beauanderos!

I have alot of junk silver, been buying since 2003. I'm not really sure I have an "exit strategy" for a particular price target, however, nonetheless I have a strategy developed for when that time comes. Time permitting, I look at the junk silver I have coming in and categorize it. With Rosies I separate into three divisions: 1964, 1957 - 1963, pre-1957's. Quarters the same. When silver soars I'll sell off the oldest dimes and quarters first, saving the heaviest-gram least worn coins for further price run-ups. To answer your question... Washington quarters are a better bet than Merc dimes... if you can buy quarters predominately newer than 1956 or so. When you start to get back beyond 1950 or so you can encounter alot of well worn (and some very worn) earlier dates, enough so that a Merc in XF condition would have a better gram wt (though, again, you'll pay a premium to obtain one). On the basis of wear alone, generally speaking you could expect that any quarter minted after 1946 (avg wear from circulation) will have the same or better percentage gram wt compared to its wt when minted, than any Merc dime will... essentially because they have been circulating for fewer years. Also, collectors who prize Mercs will sell off their more worn coins, so that the bulk Mercs you find from online dealers exacerbate this characteristic. As silver grows scarcer, the quality of circulated junk obtained from online sources is continuing to deteriorate, and will no doubt show a slight time line degradation in weight compared to the purported 715 standard.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby amalekidad » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:36 pm

Don't foget the copper cent. Currently worth about 3 cents of fiat. They will be the best hard money for transactions if/when TSHTF. You can get them for the lowly price of $0.01 each if you are willing to sort them out. This option will go away sooner than most of us think.
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:02 pm

tbram88 wrote:How would you guys rate Canadian Maples to ASE's.?

Same amount of silver. CDN$5 face value vs US$1 face value... easy winner Maples.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby oktyabyr » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:30 pm

JadeDragon wrote:

Same amount of silver. CDN$5 face value vs US$1 face value... easy winner Maples.

Also fractionally more pure.
oktyabyr
Penny Collector Member

Postby 999Ni » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:09 pm

I prefer silver dimes over quarters cuz it makes it look like I have more silver. :mrgreen:

Seriously tho, its cuz I always tend to get roosies with a little less premium than quarters, given the same amount of silver content.
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:10 pm

oktyabyr wrote:
JadeDragon wrote:

Also fractionally more pure.

What do you mean be that?
TXBullion

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:47 pm

I think the percentage premium differential between different types of bullion will get tighter as the price moves up. For instance, if a silver eagle sells for $3 over spot and a bar sells for $1 over spot, but spot is $50, then its much less relevant compared to when spot is $15.

Therefore, for silver that is for silver price speculation I would go with the cheapest .999, 90%, or foreign silver (.720, .835, etc) that you can get. For silver that is for numismatic speculation I would stick to coins that are in at least F-12 or better and from before 1950. I think silver dollars, though, are a great balance between the two, so long as you have strong hands and won't just sell them along with the bars and rounds the second silver goes over $50. Once a bunch more get melted, the semi-key date coins could really take off in price.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Robarons » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 am

In addition older 90% suck as mercury dimes or franklins are always going to be 90% regardless of date where as Kennedys have to be checked to see if they are 90%, 40% or clad along with Roosevelt dimes and washington quarters.

It much easier to count and check barber and walking liberty halves then kennedy halves. Also the general public may have confusion on what years a kennedy half would be silver (lets face it its joe sixpack were talking about), where as they know some old like a barber is.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby tbram88 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:37 am

[quote=
Also fractionally more pure.[/quote]

What do you mean be that?[/quote]

Maples are .9999 and ASE's are .999
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals