A question on gold

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

A question on gold

Postby Sheba » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:46 pm

Hi all,

Could someone tell me (or tell me how to correctly figure this) the US dollar amount at present gold prices for the following item: A junk (scrap?) solid piece (not a chain) of 14K gold jewelry weighing exactly 5.1 grams (or 0.180 ozs.)? What would it be really worth in US $s, not what a dealer or a pawn shop might offer for it.

Thank you very much for the help and/or answer.

sheba
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Re: A question on gold

Postby Country » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:52 pm

Sheba wrote:Hi all,

Could someone tell me (or tell me how to correctly figure this) the US dollar amount at present gold prices for the following item: A junk (scrap?) solid piece (not a chain) of 14K gold jewelry weighing exactly 5.1 grams (or 0.180 ozs.)? What would it be really worth in US $s, not what a dealer or a pawn shop might offer for it.

sheba

=(5.1/31.1)*(14/24)*($1409.60) = $134.84
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:54 am

Country wrote:

sheba

What a great community this is! ...trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent...well, not always so reverent, but most of the other attributes all the time. Thanks Country for teaching me something too.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby PennyBoy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:29 am

When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:11 am

Obedient?

Woof!
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:03 am

Devil Soundwave wrote:Obedient?

Woof!

Yes, obedient to the principles of common sense, self-reliance and self-governance. (How's that for spinning this thread ever farther away from its original theme?)
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:33 am

Devil Soundwave wrote:Obedient?

Woof!

Good boy. Sit. Roll over. Fetch. :lol: Too bad (so sad) that WE can't teach the sheeple new tricks... like investing in real money!
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Devil Soundwave » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:14 am

:D
Scotsman in residence...

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:26 am

If you sold to Kitco here is what they would pay--https://online.kitco.com/refining/refining_USD.html
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:41 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
Country wrote:

sheba

What a great community this is! ...trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent...well, not always so reverent, but most of the other attributes all the time. Thanks Country for teaching me something too.

Holy campfire smoke! RealCent is a Boy Scout Troop! :lol: I still remember our patrol song: " Whose the leader of the pack that's made for you and me? R- A- Q- U- E- L- W- E- L- C- H... Raquel Welch! Raqul Welch!"

Thanks for the math conversion formula, Country!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheba » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:56 pm

Thank you very much for the answer. That's truly what is so great about this forum. Good answers and no 'serious' put downs for being dumb like me :D

I really appreciate the help.

sheba
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby 999Ni » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:03 pm

Nicest, most helpful bunch of folks around.

You should see what goes on in another PM forum I visit....you would be shocked! :shock:
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:13 am

nice sig pic, 999.

btw, we have a resident refiner on this board, Market Harmony. Last time i checked his rates were competitive. realize however that in refining the more ounces you have the better deal you get.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Redneck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:23 am

10k-.416

14k-.583

18k-.750

22k-.916

$1409.60 (spot price) / 31.1034768 (troy ounce) x .583 (14k) x 5.1 grams = $134.74904

>
Redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slvrbck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:13 pm

Hey sheb, u may or may not already know this, but the value they are giving $134 is what the actual gold in the jewelery is "worth". . . 14K gold is gold mixed mixed w/ other metals, I believe mostly silver, copper, and nickel. Due to this mixture of metals, karatage jewelery usually does not fetch the actual value of the gold it contains whether the transaction is between a jeweler, pawn shop, private party, or Cash 4 gold. Add to these facts that some gold jewelery is falsely stamped and that the karatage is not always accurate and you can probably understand why someone wanting to own gold would rather pay for a government minted coin, or a bar from a reputable dealer. . .
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:39 am

shinnosuke wrote:What a great community this is! ...trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent...well, not always so reverent, but most of the other attributes all the time. Thanks Country for teaching me something too.

Don't forget irreverent also. ;)

Believe it or not, several of us are Eagle Scouts. And have said the Scout Law more times then wood chuck chucked wood.

Personally, I never did earn the coin collecting merit badge as a youth. However, I'd like to believe that I have the postgraduate work in to have an honorary one. :D
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:45 am

Yep. Eagle Scout here also.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:47 am

exbingoaddict wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:What a great community this is! ...trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent...well, not always so reverent, but most of the other attributes all the time. Thanks Country for teaching me something too.

Don't forget irreverent also. ;)

Believe it or not, several of us are Eagle Scouts. And have said the Scout Law more times then wood chuck chucked wood.

Personally, I never did earn the coin collecting merit badge as a youth. However, I'd like to believe that I have the postgraduate work in to have an honorary one. :D

I did not earn Eagle. When I was growing up our troop was a bit disorganized. For example, instead of having a meeting, we would go to the ditch behind the building, split into 2 teams and earn Marksmanship merit badges by throwing rocks at each other. My oldest son made it to Eagle and my 2nd fell just short.

Color guard, PRESENT COLORS! I love it when the young men do that right.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Devil Soundwave » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:43 am

What's an Eagle Scout then?

I was in the Cub Scouts (kids), The Scouts (12 - early teen), then the Venture Scouts (16 - 21).

My parents ran the local Scout troop. :)
Scotsman in residence...

Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:01 am

I loved being a Scout as a kid! Made Eagle (barely!). Great times!

After marriage, Scouting became a family affair.

My son made Eagle, two Eagle Palms, and Exploring Gold Award. My daughter got her Camp Fire Wohelo, Exploring Gold Award, and was the second female to ever earn the Venturing Silver Award in the State of Oklahoma. The first female Venture Scout to earn the Silver Award in Okla. was also from our group.

The old timers did not like my efforts to integrate teen girls into Scouting. Held it against me! WTH! It has been okay for girls to be there since about 1971. Old traditions die hard, though.

When a boy hits high school, there are two fragrances that hit his nose like a ton of bricks: gasoline & perfume. If you want those boys to hang around a Scout Troop... you better have a few girls around, too. :D
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby justoneguy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:20 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:
When a boy hits high school, there are two fragrances that hit his nose like a ton of bricks: gasoline & perfume. If you want those boys to hang around a Scout Troop... you better have a few girls around, too. :D

that's a great mind there.
keep the kids directed while letting them have some socializing too
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:38 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:When a boy hits high school, there are two fragrances that hit his nose like a ton of bricks: gasoline & perfume. If you want those boys to hang around a Scout Troop... you better have a few girls around, too. :D

Yup. Back when I was in, nothing brought everyone's heads up like "There's girls over there." Even the kids with lots of sisters.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:49 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:When a boy hits high school, there are two fragrances that hit his nose like a ton of bricks: gasoline & perfume.

True wisdom there. :lol:
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals