Are Coinstar Machines Getting Better- or was I Lucky?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Are Coinstar Machines Getting Better- or was I Lucky?

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:59 pm

I’ve had three times in the past few weeks where I found, say, 8 to 15 coins (each time) in my local CS machine.

This most recent time I found the following (no good dates or silver):

1 qtr.
1 dime
1 nickel
1 penny
So 41 cents in U.S. coins, plus…

1 2-Euro coin
1 50 Euro cent coin
1 10 Euro cent coin
1 2 Euro cent coin
2.62 Euros

The other two times I found something like 45 cents one time plus about 85-90 cents the other. No I’m not getting rich from this.

I wonder if some people intentionally leave loose coins behind on purpose- perhaps feeling that a person who reaches into the machine might be either homeless or really struggling financially…
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Are Coinstar Machines Getting Better- or was I Lucky?

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:13 pm

All I've found so far this year in Coinstars were two zincolns that were stuck together with gunk, but there are only two machines that I check with any regularity. I checked a third machine this afternoon in the next town over and no luck.

"Influencers" are making YouTube and TikTok videos showing ridiculous finds at the reject chutes, so I'm sure more people are checking them out.

I would advise everyone to never linger at a machine, just look quick as you walk by and be on your way. We don't need more idiots recording themselves at the machine for half an hour, thereby bringing unnecessary attention to this hobby.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Are Coinstar Machines Getting Better- or was I Lucky?

Postby texcollex » Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:16 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I’ve had three times in the past few weeks where I found, say, 8 to 15 coins (each time) in my local CS machine.

This most recent time I found the following (no good dates or silver):

1 qtr.
1 dime
1 nickel
1 penny
So 41 cents in U.S. coins, plus…

1 2-Euro coin
1 50 Euro cent coin
1 10 Euro cent coin
1 2 Euro cent coin
2.62 Euros

The other two times I found something like 45 cents one time plus about 85-90 cents the other. No I’m not getting rich from this.

I wonder if some people intentionally leave loose coins behind on purpose- perhaps feeling that a person who reaches into the machine might be either homeless or really struggling financially…

I think you're just getting lucky, though I did pick out 40-some cents out of ona e few weeks ago, much to my surprise. I had mostly given up on checking, but wanted to know if they still trade coin for Amazon cards. They don't.

BTW, thanks for the welcome over on BS forums!
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About