What should I do?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What should I do?

Postby OtusLotus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:37 pm

I have been acquiring my silver coins over the years at face value, simply by luck of the draw- finding them in boxes of dimes, quarters, and halves..

I am ready to "step up to the plate" and start buying my silver, for the silver value.

I have the opportunity to buy silver bars, from a buddy of mine (jewler) for about $0.25 over spot..

Would you reccommend I acquire my silver this way, or go to a coin store/website.

(I guess I have always been leery of the coin shops charging a premium for the coins based on the numismatic value of the coin, which inherently I find very subjective, and don't want to be "taken")

Also, does it matter what types of silver bars I get? Some of the ones he has presented to me were from Swiss Bank, while others were pictures of Santa Claus or trains.

Thanks for all of your input.
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: What should I do?

Postby TXBullion » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:00 pm

Name brand bars usually have a premium associated with them versus the generics. I think if you start buying, with due time, you will figure out what you like. I like to try and go for name brand bars but usually pay 2 dollars an oz over spot at the local coin shop. I have bought a mark, silvertowne, engelhard, bars for this price. Some people prefer to buy foreign silver or 40% halves which usually sell below spot. You are getting silver just in an impure and less recognizable form (more directed to foreign silver at least here in the US). Try and buy for bullion value and dont get sold on numismatics unless you are looking to go down that path (which it sounds like your not). Let us know if you end up buying some stuff from him
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:07 pm

As long as they are marked with .999 silver, the Christmas and bank issued bars for 25 cents over spot is a good deal. Right now spot is pretty crazy but so is the worldwide political economy. Good luck trying to find other folks willing to sell .999 silver for only 25 cents over spot.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby jasmatk » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:52 pm

for 0.25 over buy as much as you can
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fb101 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:43 pm

Yeah. What he said (Jasmatk)
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Delawhere Jack » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:09 pm

You should PM me with your buddy's phone number! :shock: Heck, I'll even go .26 over spot!
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby DirtyFingers » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 pm

I would buy at 25¢ over spot if given the chance but along with buying from your friend it might not hurt for you to develop a relationship with a reputable, credible coin shop. After a few buys and some shop talk you'll probably have buy/trade opportunities that your jeweler friend won't be able give you.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby OtusLotus » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:30 am

I never thought about trading the silver bars for other coins, etc.

Thanks
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BullionStar » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:02 pm

On eBay premiums on branded bars e.g Johnson Matthey are as high as 90% over fix. Even non-branded stuff is reaching 40-50%

Even if you move on the less desireable stuff, it looks like a fantastic deal.
Search for Cheapest Physical Gold, Silver and Platinum Prices at BullionSupermarket.com

If you don't hold it, you don't own it...
BullionStar

Postby Rosco » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:23 pm

Buy at that small premium You can spend more driving around . That said I did a buy of 90% under spot at a Rock Show this weekend, Got Bright AU 64 Kennedy's and Dimes and a 1921 S Morgan. bought a lot less rocks :lol:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals