TD Bank money laundering

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

TD Bank money laundering

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Oct 14, 2024 7:36 pm

https://www.courierpostonline.com/story ... 622666007/

Caught this at the end:

"This resulted in 92% of total transaction volume — about $18.3 trillion — going unmonitored from January 2018 to early April 2024"

So, less than a billion dollars laundered but $18 trillion of transactions. I gotta wonder if TD Bank will be monitoring the crap out of any coin purchases or small time cash deposits in the future. The scale of what the launderers did though is Scarface territory.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: TD Bank money laundering

Postby Morsecode » Mon Oct 14, 2024 8:08 pm

Ha! And here I was laundering my zincs through their Penny Arcade :lol:

Serves them right. Any bank that refers to their branches as "stores" should be run out of town.

But why does it say "based in Cherry Hill, NJ"? I thought they had Canadian roots.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Oct 14, 2024 9:18 pm

TD USA is basically a wholly owned independent subsidiary of TD Canada. As I understand it they share very few, if any, data records with each other. There is some type of "firewall" in place between the two entities.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Oct 15, 2024 4:31 am

Morsecode wrote:Ha! And here I was laundering my zincs through their Penny Arcade :lol:

Serves them right. Any bank that refers to their branches as "stores" should be run out of town.

But why does it say "based in Cherry Hill, NJ"? I thought they had Canadian roots.

Their US bank is separate and regulated by the US. Presumably its wholly owned by Toronto Dominion bank.

This article is an interesting headline but I doubt any of this involved coin deposits.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tdtwedt » Tue Oct 15, 2024 6:07 am

FinCEN Report Reveals TD Bank Failed to Report Suspicious Crypto Activity

In a recent report from the Financial Crime Enforcement Network (FinCEN), it was alleged that TD Bank failed to disclose suspicious activity involving two international crypto exchanges. The report revealed that TD Bank processed over 2,000 transactions for an anonymous financial firm valued at over $1 billion between July 2023 and April 2024. The majority of these funds came from a cryptocurrency exchange based in the UK, with outgoing wires sent to a Colombian financial institution offering digital asset services. The transactions facilitated apparent third-party cryptocurrency trading and involved high-risk industries and jurisdictions, including Colombia, China, and countries in the Middle East.

https://gulfpress.net/business/crypto/f ... -activity/
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.
tdtwedt
Penny Collector Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions