What are refiners paying on 40% and War Nickels

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What are refiners paying on 40% and War Nickels

Postby TXBullion » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:28 pm

I thought it was on the MH page but maybe he doesnt buy 40% and War Nicks. I was trying to find out what are refiners paying for war nickels as well as 40%. I assume its a % of spot price. I know you can probably get more selling them to someone whos not a refiner but just looking for answers as well as references if you have any.

Thanks
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What are refiners paying on 40% and War Nickels

Postby wayne1956 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:24 pm

The place I usually go to right now pays around 9X face for 40%, but the warnicks are strange. I called them a couple of days ago and they said they sell for $2 each, but they only pay 75 cents each. Something did not sound right there.
wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

Postby justoneguy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:28 pm

apmex is curently paying 33x $33 for $1fv
http://www.apmex.com/Category/1125/35_S ... ckels.aspx
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby misteroman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:34 am

just PM TMAT and then your work is done!
misteroman

Postby TXBullion » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:08 pm

Still trying to find my answer. Does anyone know what refiners are paying on these. The people who will get them, and melt them, refine them. Anyone?
TXBullion

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:52 pm

Most of the 40% is destined for melting. The warnix are tougher as they contain magnesium and (my understanding is) many are melted outside the US due to EPA regulations. Buy prices are likely under spot as they have a high risk already of the price dropping. In the case of the 40%, the smelters also recover some CU and Ni in the process.

My best guess is that refiners will pay 5-7% under spot for smaller lots and 1-3% under spot for larger lots. Smaller sellers with values under $25k may not even be of interest unless they have customers waiting. Keep in mind, too, that there's a cost (usually borne by the seller) just to get it to the refiner. Some may split for long-time customers, but they usually compensate for that through in other ways.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:09 pm

MH doesn't typically deal in 40% and War Nickels. Frankly, I don't blame him.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:12 pm

Called a local small refinery near me. They pay 65% of what they actually recovey of the silver for war nicks. Having nothing to compare that to I am not sure if that is good or bad. Maybe in bulk they could do do a little more?

He said its so low because "The mangenese destorys the silver" during the melting process.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals