Took 3 weeks to get my sorted halves back

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Took 3 weeks to get my sorted halves back

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:09 pm

I do a pretty high volume of sorting and decided about 3 weeks ago to take a yellow sticker and write "Pennysaved sorted" and stick it on some halves I sorted; I did this for 4 bags I was turning in and 2 halves per bag.

Today, on one of my order pick ups,I found one of the halves with my yellow sticker (although pretty dirty) in a box I picked up.

I thought that was pretty good 3 weeks before it showed back up.

Has anyone else done this and what is the average turn around that you run into one of the previously sorted halves that you have marked?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Took 3 weeks to get my sorted halves back

Postby OtusLotus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:55 pm

Nope, but if I get a half with one of your little yellow stickers on it, I will be sure to let you know...

Kinda like the wheresgeorge website
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:07 pm

I get the same halves back the following week. It has gotten so bad I have to find a different pickup bank. The trouble is my dump bank and my source bank use the same armored car service. So I am getting the same $1000.00 bags from the banks that I dump at. I asked my pickup bank if they would ask the armored car service if they could just bring bags that weren't from my dump bank because the bags have their name on them and are very easy to identify. So all they would have to do is grab canvas bags off the pile but of course they said no and all they bring are bags from my dump bank. I think they are doing it intentionally. I hate to find a new source bank the one I had would order anything for me. Always very friendly and even help me carry my order to the car. But I can't keep sorting the same coins over and over again.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scrapper2010 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:28 pm

Always very friendly and even help me carry my order to the car. But I can't keep sorting the same coins over and over again.[/quote]

That's pretty cool, how many boxes do they let you order at a time? I would need help to my car with anything over two boxes. :)
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:30 am

They will let me order what ever I want. That's why it is such a shame to let this source bank go but I don't have any choice because I just keep getting the coins back that I dumped at the other bank. I have been getting $4000.00 a week. When I first started they were giving me boxes so I was getting 8 boxes a week and I was finding silver but then they started bringing the $1,000.00 bags from the bank that I dump at and stopped bring boxes. So now I have to find a new source bank that uses a different armored car service than the bank I dump at.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:22 am

NDFarmer.. just don't dump any halves for several months. Stack them up next to that pile of pennies. If they can't send you back your halves, they will have to come from somewhere. When you do finally dump several months from now, just take a couple month break from sorting halves and hit the pennies heavy to allow time for your halves to clear the system. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby PreservingThePast » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:33 am

Pennysaved wrote:I do a pretty high volume of sorting and decided about 3 weeks ago to take a yellow sticker and write "Pennysaved sorted" and stick it on some halves I sorted; I did this for 4 bags I was turning in and 2 halves per bag.

Today, on one of my order pick ups,I found one of the halves with my yellow sticker (although pretty dirty) in a box I picked up.

I thought that was pretty good 3 weeks before it showed back up.

Has anyone else done this and what is the average turn around that you run into one of the previously sorted halves that you have marked?

Pretty fast turn around time.

I have trouble getting many halves but if I do come across one I will be sure to let you know. Keep us posted if you get more. Maybe you could code a date onto the stickers too on future stickers so you will know when you returned that particular "batch".

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone, and be on the alert for "Pennysaved Sorted" stickers. :) :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:31 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:NDFarmer.. just don't dump any halves for several months. Stack them up next to that pile of pennies. If they can't send you back your halves, they will have to come from somewhere. When you do finally dump several months from now, just take a couple month break from sorting halves and hit the pennies heavy to allow time for your halves to clear the system. :mrgreen:

Good idea Hoard. At $4,000.00 per week that is $16,000.00 per month. So if I don't return any halves for 6 months that is $96,000.00 I will have sitting in my basement. I think my dump bank might get a little excited if I show up with $96,000.00
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby psi » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:29 pm

Alternately you could look for a dump bank farther away from you, not sure if that would be worth it with transportation costs though depending on how far.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:58 pm

psi wrote:Alternately you could look for a dump bank farther away from you, not sure if that would be worth it with transportation costs though depending on how far.

Only way is to go outside your district. If you dump back into your district you eventually will get your halves back. I am running a little test now in mine to see what the turn around is.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:05 pm

I thought that a 3 to 4 week time frame for running into previously sorted halves is pretty good if you are sorting 10k+ per week, isn't it?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals