Sell or hold?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Sell or hold?

Postby mr18 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:44 am

Like most of you, my investment in junk silver has appreciated. Dimes that were once 1.00 are now at 2.50, halves that were 7.00 are now at 12.50, quarters that were once 4.00 are now 6.00 etc. I need advice. Should i continue to hold on to my junk silver or sell to purchase gold? If so, should i buy slabbed or raw gold? Better quality Morgans maybe? Then the question would be where to purchase these higher end coins. All my silver has been acquired at flea markets and yard sales. Any reputable and affordable dealers on-line? I'm afraid local dealers would charge too much of a premium or is that normal with higher end silver coins? Your help is greatly appreciated.
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Sell or hold?

Postby 97guns » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:13 am

i say hold, everyone says silver will outpace gold this year. silver has been leading the way in my portfolio, then PD and gold bringing up the rear.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:20 am

Once we hit the $36 mark, I started gathering up my silver culls. You know, the ones with dents, gouges, bent, mangled, with deep scratches and the like. Those melt like anything else and have zero collector value. That along with 4 sets of sterling cuff links I picked up at a rummage sale as well as some bent sterling spoons and a couple of forks are destined for the melting pot. No remorse for these to go. Everything else stays on board for the longer ride to the promised land.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:25 am

The more we buy and hoard, the higher the price goes...well, not just us realcenters, but the market in general. But there will always be people who, once they cross some pre-determined threshold, will sell for profits.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Go by the ratio. Look at historical ratios and decide what your trade point is. "Dollar" alone for one or the other is meaningless.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby misteroman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:02 pm

sell and buy real estate. all time lows and people will always need a place to live!
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby whatsnext » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:19 pm

The sell signs are coming like heavy rain. /---EDIT=Maybe not 'heavy" ,maybe just me getting ancy

-to much short term attention /--EDIT= maybe this good news for it, and will go long term.
-TV ="buy silver its going to 50-130 -They are not casting it aside anymore either.
-silver shooting up like a weed, might get cut /--EDIT---I'M WISHING ANYWAY

If the TV is telling you to buy, big guys might be selling some. /--EDIT Maybe it's just demand cant be ignored anymore and news people are just saving face.

I have heard that if you think its going to 50 sell at 40-45, waiting for the last 10% is a great way to miss the sellpoint.

Real estate can be a pain in the ass unless your getting middleground renters.
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Postby DeanStockwell » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:44 pm

gold/silver ratio is getting very low...that's a sign to swap silver for gold. I'd do a 75% swap; sell 3/4ths of silver and transfer into gold. Assuming of course you are allocated 50/50 between the two. Or even better, sink the 75% into a gold stock like Barrick Gold(ABX) if we see the correction.
Most people do not consider dawn to be an attractive experience - unless they are still awake.
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:16 pm

If you sell you'd best have something else to put it into besides FRNs. Some commodity. Real estate. Household stockpiles (if you're not already reasonably ready for a disaster, you could spend several thousands there and it would be not only piece of mind, but with inflation here, even without a disaster, it's better than any CD or other instrument you can find). Whatever toots your horn, but something tangible, worthwhile, with value to you or people you know. Even gold, as suggested.

However, I just cashed out a bond account, and the plan with the proceeds is to buy more silver on a dip. Silver, the stuff you want to sell... is what I want to buy ;)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:30 pm

If you have 9 to 12 months supply of stored food, then it is not yet time to sell silver. If your cupboards are bare...then take care of your essential needs, food.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:39 pm

I would not sell unless it meets another goal, for example you can sell you hoard and pay off your mortgage.

The Gold/silver ratio has tighten to about 40-1, but historically it's been around 20-1, so silver has a way to go yet. I would wait to get closer to 20-1 if you are going to trade silver for gold.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:24 pm

I'm still selling gold to buy more silver
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby theo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:03 pm

I think the possibility of a 20% correction is definately there, however I can't imagine silver not challenging its old 1980 highs at the very least.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:13 pm

Brother,
dont even think about selling. of course if you need to raise funds, get liquid...sure.

But these are not normal times, you pay an insurance company to insure your auto, or health. Think of silver as wealth insurance against the ravages of irresponsible fiat currency printing.

n.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:19 pm

neilgin1 wrote:Brother,
dont even think about selling. of course if you need to raise funds, get liquid...sure.

But these are not normal times, you pay an insurance company to insure your auto, or health. Think of silver as wealth insurance against the ravages of irresponsible fiat currency printing.

n.

Good to see you back. I've been woundering what your opinions are regarding the silver market.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:39 pm

Thogey,
thanks for the welcome back, its good to be back.

i posted in the 31-32-33 thread.

these minor corrections, ALL healthy for a bull market are trifles for anybody buying and holding.

first stop $70-80, then $125-150, then a spike to 250-350.

this world, as you know, is a very different, more dangerous place. Without being alarmist, we are in a for a very wild ride.

Keep your eye on Oman and Bahrain, as well as the Sa-udi Kingdom. Forget Libya, Qaddafi's done.

Oman is crucial.

Hoping you are well and healthy, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby mr18 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:57 pm

I thank you all for your input on this subject. I have been hoarding silver of all denominations for almost 7 months now, it seems I should hold on longer. I guess i got excited since my investment looks to have a great return thus far. It also sounds like I should have more silver than gold, truth be told I only own 3 1/10 oz gold eagles. Unfortunately, as of late it seems everyone is asking between 10-15% above what the value of silver on coinflation.com is on any given day. I still find great deals at antique flea markets, too bad they are only available on weekends. I just got introduced to Mexican silver, particularly the 1932 UN PESO and 1977-79 100 PESOS. All the us coins have been drying up. Any good tips on how to identify the fake Mexican silver coins is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for all this valuable information!!!! :)
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby aristobolus » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:24 am

Oh to be 18 again!
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals