Example of the silver shortage

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Example of the silver shortage

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi everyone,

An associate of mine is a huge silver advocate and puts a lot of money into silver. For the past 2 weeks he has been trying to buy a pallet of green monster boxes. 50 boxes per pallet and 500 ounces per box. He can't get anyone to take the order! Everyone is telling him that there is a 7-8 week delay and they can't/won't lock down the price for him!

Believe it or not there is a silver shortage! :shock:
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Re: Example of the silver shortage

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:48 pm

I also heard from this guy that he was talking to some traders who had 1500 silver contracts (each contract is 5000oz) on comex and wanted delivery. Comex couldn't make the delivery so they cashed the contracts out at $50/oz if they would keep their mouths shut.

I can't confirm this but it is coming for a pretty reliable source.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby slickeast » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Hey, why are you telling everyone my business. Lol

1500@5000 oz each x $50/oz is 375 million dollars.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:08 pm

highroller4321 wrote:I also heard from this guy that he was talking to some traders who had 1500 silver contracts (each contract is 5000oz) on comex and wanted delivery. Comex couldn't make the delivery so they cashed the contracts out at $50/oz if they would keep their mouths shut.

Hmm, thats some pretty big news there. Supprised this hasnt bubbled up yet...
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Hmmm! very interesting. I've also heard "lots" of unconfirmed reports of such; nothing so definitive. I'll ask my normal supplier if he is having any troubles. I had been thinking of buying another monster box if the price dropped back below 30, but I missed out on the last price drop (except for a small set of stuff from MH).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:26 pm

68Camaro wrote:Hmmm! very interesting. I've also heard "lots" of unconfirmed reports of such; nothing so definitive. I'll ask my normal supplier if he is having any troubles. I had been thinking of buying another monster box if the price dropped back below 30, but I missed out on the last price drop (except for a small set of stuff from MH).

His reply, excerpted...

The monster boxes are about 2+ week lead time right now due to shortages...

...Silver is in demand and some shortages are happening, but we are not sure how long or bad it will get?

Silver from refineries who melt from scrap have a lot which in turn goes to 100 oz and 10 oz bars. The mints only use new silver from mines.

The last is important, as that helps explain why the mints might be short, but others have large bars available.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Mossy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:47 pm

68Camaro wrote: His reply, excerpted...
...Silver from refineries who melt from scrap have a lot which in turn goes to 100 oz and 10 oz bars. The mints only use new silver from mines.
(scratches head) Why?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Other than my local guys, I have not receive a silver scrap lot in the mail in just over a week... one of the longest dry spells ever for silver scrap.

Good thing that the local guys have stepped up their buying and that gold lots are moving along.

Got Scrap? :)
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:18 pm

Mossy wrote:
68Camaro wrote: His reply, excerpted...
...Silver from refineries who melt from scrap have a lot which in turn goes to 100 oz and 10 oz bars. The mints only use new silver from mines.
(scratches head) Why?

Believe - in the US - it is by policy and/or law, to support the silver mines/miners. I know it was so in the past but not sure about current state. Haven't tried to research the current state, but if someone else gets to it and can post, I would like to see the law and/or policy.
68Camaro

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:25 pm

I got some scrap silver, but I am holding out for 50 dollar silver! :mrgreen:
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Market Harmony wrote:Other than my local guys, I have not receive a silver scrap lot in the mail in just over a week... one of the longest dry spells ever for silver scrap.

Good thing that the local guys have stepped up their buying and that gold lots are moving along.

Got Scrap? :)

How much at a time makes it worthwhile for both you and me?
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:54 pm

blackrabbit wrote:I got some scrap silver, but I am holding out for 50 dollar silver! :mrgreen:

At that price I am melting the family flatware and driving to KFC to stock up on plastic sporks for the family and changing my screen name to HoardSporksByTheTon.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:08 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
blackrabbit wrote:I got some scrap silver, but I am holding out for 50 dollar silver! :mrgreen:

At that price I am melting the family flatware and driving to KFC to stock up on plastic sporks for the family and changing my screen name to HoardSporksByTheTon.

HSBTT - think that's still available! ;)
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:00 pm

68Camaro wrote:His reply, excerpted...

"...Silver from refineries who melt from scrap have a lot which in turn goes to 100 oz and 10 oz bars. The mints only use new silver from mines."

Looked it up. Above is true for Gold.

(c) Section 5116(a) of title 31, United States Code

7) Source of gold bullion.— (A) In general.— The Secretary shall acquire gold for the coins issued under this subsection by purchase of gold mined from natural deposits in the United States, or in a territory or possession of the United States, within 1 year after the month in which the ore from which it is derived was mined.
(B) Price of gold.— The Secretary shall pay not more than the average world price for the gold mined under subparagraph (A).

No longer true that silver has to be domestically mined. Silver for ASE was originally required to be taken from the strategic stockpile, but that was exhausted, and it is now - apparently - open market silver. However, it's not clear if the silver has to be freshly mined, or can be recycled. Not sure about that one. If anyone knows and can point to a reference, I would like to know. Thanks...
68Camaro

Postby Mossy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:09 pm

68Camaro wrote:No longer true that silver has to be domestically mined. Silver for ASE was originally required to be taken from the strategic stockpile, but that was exhausted, and it is now - apparently - open market silver. However, it's not clear if the silver has to be freshly mined, or can be recycled. Not sure about that one. If anyone knows and can point to a reference, I would like to know. Thanks...

Thanks. (And the EPA is doing all it can to make sure no metal is refined...)
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Mossy wrote:
68Camaro wrote:No longer true that silver has to be domestically mined. Silver for ASE was originally required to be taken from the strategic stockpile, but that was exhausted, and it is now - apparently - open market silver. However, it's not clear if the silver has to be freshly mined, or can be recycled. Not sure about that one. If anyone knows and can point to a reference, I would like to know. Thanks...

Thanks. (And the EPA is doing all it can to make sure no metal is refined...)

Once the governments debt payments defaults and the shumer hits the fan the EPA will go the way of the dodo bird. Cant really say I am looking forward to that but the EPA can go pound sand for all I care.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:05 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote: ...the shumer hits the fan...

That would be an instant hit on U-Tube.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Thats really interesting to here. Plus you guys can do a search for your own monster boxes and see that all orders arent shipping for 2-3 weeks. I think though you are able to lock in the price right now though but havent bought one so cant confirm. Pallets might be different???...
TXBullion

Postby Mossy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:02 pm

Colorado Gold said 2-3 weeks for 100oz silver bar. That was 1 March.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:20 pm

Mossy wrote:Colorado Gold said 2-3 weeks for 100oz silver bar. That was 1 March.

It almost makes you a bit afraid to order. Someone in another thread was concerned that after a few months of non-delivery the order might be nulled and money refunded thus causing the buyer to miss out on an opportunity to buy at the earlier/lower price. Then again, what if you place a fairly large order and the firm goes under? I guess what we should do is call the various firms and ask them how long it took them during the previous scarcity time frame to make good on delivery. They might tell you two weeks just to make a sale and book the order, then take four months to ship, either because of absolute scarcity causing the planchet supplier to be out of supply for months, or their own inability to directly source sizable quantaties if they're minting from raw stock.
Last edited by beauanderos on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Mossy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:53 pm

beauanderos wrote:
Mossy wrote:Colorado Gold said 2-3 weeks for 100oz silver bar. That was 1 March.

It almost makes you a bit afraid to order.
Got that right. I strongly dislike ordering from people who are not holding what they are selling, precisely because /someone/ is going in the hole to cover the purchase. If it get's covered.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:54 pm

Great thread.

I was reading that silver is usually considered a by-product of copper mining. Very few silver mines remain in production to this day. As prices go up, there will be more investment in prospection, but there seems to be a 5-10 year lag time in the investment curve to catch up with the real-silver demand.

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Dumpster Diver » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:19 pm

highroller4321 wrote:I also heard from this guy that he was talking to some traders who had 1500 silver contracts (each contract is 5000oz) on comex and wanted delivery. Comex couldn't make the delivery so they cashed the contracts out at $50/oz if they would keep their mouths shut.

I think we should get $50/oz to keep our mouths shut too... :)
Dumpster Diver
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:06 pm

beauanderos wrote:

It almost makes you a bit afraid to order. Someone in another thread was concerned that after a few months of non-delivery the order might be nulled and money refunded thus causing the buyer to miss out on an opportunity to buy at the earlier/lower price. Then again, what if you place a fairly large order and the firm goes under?

If a firm tried to void a sale simply because the price of silver went up, the buyer would have grounds for a lawsuit. Of course if the firm went bankrupt that would be different.

Now if the price of silver becomes more volatile (especially to the upside) mail order companies might start putting clauses in their sales contract to protect themselves against sudden price increases.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:32 pm

Would you go to the effort and expense to go after a company and sue them for non-performance if you were talking about an amount less than, for instance, 100 ounces of silver? If they were out of state I wouldn't even know how to start and I dare say most people would be in the same boat. Hire an attorney and that eats up all the potential profit you would have made by the price differential you lost out on. Most people would count themselves lucky to get their initial down payment back and consider it an expensive lesson learned.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals