what should I do?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

what should I do?

Postby realmoneyHOARDER » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Hello all,

I am pretty new to silver stacking but I have around 20 ozt of silver approx. & 0.1177 ozt of gold.
I have a couple of questions;

Should I convert most of my junk silver into .999?

Do you guys think I should sell some of my silver to convert into gold? If so, how much AG should I sell and what kind of gold should I buy?

Please answer. Thanks.

Edit: I dont have much .999 silver (only 3 Maples)
realmoneyHOARDER

Re: what should I do?

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:02 pm

realmoneyHOARDER wrote:Hello all,

I am pretty new to silver stacking but I have around 20 ozt of silver approx. & 0.1177 ozt of gold.

Do you guys think I should sell some of my silver to convert into gold? If so, how much AG should I sell and what kind of gold should I buy?

Please answer. Thanks.

Sorry to answer a question with a question, but...
Do you think the US and/or Canada will experience only mild inflation for the next several years? Or, do you think we are headed for hyper-inflation? If you believe the latter, do you think there will be looting and riots in response to the hyper-inflation? The responses to your questions will be different depending on your answers to my questions.

Either way, I think you need more silver. Can you work a 2nd job to earn some extra cash for silver purchases? Are there any regular expenses in your day-to-day life that can be decreased or eliminated to free up some cash?

Personally, I would never let go of my junk silver. It is the best medium of exchange among the uneducated.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby realmoneyHOARDER » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:16 pm

shinnosuke wrote:

Please answer. Thanks.

Do you think the US and/or Canada will experience only mild inflation for the next several years? Or, do you think we are headed for hyper-inflation? If you believe the latter, do you think there will be looting and riots in response to the hyper-inflation? The responses to your questions will be different depending on your answers to my questions.

Either way, I think you need more silver. Can you work a 2nd job to earn some extra cash for silver purchases? Are there any regular expenses in your day-to-day life that can be decreased or eliminated to free up some cash?

Personally, I would never let go of my junk silver. It is the best medium of exchange among the uneducated.

Thanks I think that we are headed for mild inflation for the next few (7-10) years but after that, BAM! hyperinflation
realmoneyHOARDER

Postby Pennysaved » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:29 pm

shinnosuke wrote:

Please answer. Thanks.

I don't think one has to necessarily get a traditional part time job to hoard more silver and gold. I think it is more exciting to sort for it; you can always store up 40% halves you find and trade with someone on here for gold or 0.999 silver(usually have to give a discount on the 40% trading end)

Also, love going to yard sales on the weekend looking for junk silver jewelry or gold jewelry; you can always save it up and send it to someone like MarketHarmony and get 90% or 0.999 back.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby whatsnext » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:24 pm

If you are buying go .999 and be picky. Buy new shiny stuff! it is a hell of alot easier to sell.
Buy a scale and know the weights for coin/bullion types b/c fakes are increasing.

I saw a video with fake pandas and they looked legit,except for the weight.
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:32 pm

90% is your best bet IMHO.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverFish » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:06 pm

I just unloaded some 50% and am planning on trading or selling some 80% Monday. I am keeping my 90% as it sells for spot or up to 5% premium. IMHO Plan on stacking some more 90% or generic till you have at least 100 oz. 1/10 gold carry a huge premium, save up till you have enough for at least a 1/4 or 1/2. Like Pennysaved mentioned yard sales are a great way to pick up gold jewellery but watch out for plated. In my experience pulling out a scale tips the seller off and may foil a deal. Try weighing some rings, bracelets and necklaces to get a feel for size and weight.
SilverFish

Postby mr18 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:09 pm

i stick to buying 90% junk unless the premiums on .999 are not excessive. i have found that coin shows have he besy deals on .999. but that may change this year. always buy the most silver for the least amount of money.
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:12 pm

My jedi master mentor of metals (Darth Smetler) and I were having the 90% junk vs. .999 bullion disscussion two weeks ago. His opinion was, if silver moves higher, melters and refiners could be flooded with 90% junk coinage. This oversupply could led to a rising discount to spot price on selling 90% coin. Bulllion of .999 fine is just that. Straight up silver, no melting, no processing needed.

Granted there will always be a market for 90% silver. So my take, if you're a dealer in silver, you have reason to want to have 90% change. If you're a collector/investor then you're probably better off having bullion. That's my clad penny thought for the day.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby thedrifter » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:18 pm

Personally, I would never let go of my junk silver. It is the best medium of exchange among the uneducated.[/quote]

I agree shinnosuke that will probably be the last thing to go although shinny bars look nice too and might easier to trade or sell for that reason.
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:45 pm

Please answer. Thanks.

First, world to the world of precious metal investing.

Second, sounds like you're starting to build a nice postions in gold and silver. Remember, Rome wasn't burnt in a day. Your gold and silver investements don't have to be done in one day either.

Your questions can't be answered without looking at your overall financial picture. We don't have any idea what your personal finances and balance sheet is, only you know that. Maybe you're hundrend dollar bills to heat your house. Or maybe you're behind on your rent. You might have high interest credit cards that need to be paid off. Or you might have a fleet of armored cars carrying around prized art collection. We have no idea and frankly it's not our business.

You need to first sit down and figure out what your personal financial situation is. What do you have asset wise and what liabilites are. What is your net worth, is it even postive? What is your income and expenses looking like.

Traditional thought is that you want to have 10% of your net worth (assets minus liabilities) in PMs (gold and silver). If you wanted to push that mark up somewhat closer to 15%, I wouldn't blame you. Again, remember, you don't run out and meet that mark today. Hoards take time.

As for the gold vs. silver debate. That's whole another can of worms. They both have a place, I think you'll find in this current market, silver could have more upside then gold.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals