I'm not imaging this, am I?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I'm not imaging this, am I?

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:45 pm

but it seems to me, that even bidding on 90 rolls is just more intense,

there seems to be a disconnect between the board price and the real (retail?) price.

Quality rolls are dissappearing, it seems to me, to hard to find ASE;s w/o a hefty premium.

short and sweet, silver, by dint of that rumoured settlement letter, silver WANTS to trade at 50, and in my opinion, that seems to be the sprimg board to 75 to 100.

has anyone else noticed this?

neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: I'm not imaging this, am I?

Postby Pachucko » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:50 pm

neilgin1 wrote:but it seems to me, that even bidding on 90 rolls is just more intense,

there seems to be a disconnect between the board price and the real (retail?) price.

Quality rolls are dissappearing, it seems to me, to hard to find ASE;s w/o a hefty premium.

short and sweet, silver, by dint of that rumoured settlement letter, silver WANTS to trade at 50, and in my opinion, that seems to be the sprimg board to 75 to 100.

has anyone else noticed this?

neil

I think there's always been somewhat of a disconnect, but yes, it seems to be growing. I'm thinking the rise to 75 and 100 won't happen so quick, but maybe I just can't wrap my mind around it yet (I thought we'd have a real good correction long before now, and I was dead wrong about that).
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby aristobolus » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:06 am

I agree that Ebay prices are definately often five to ten percent higher than melt value; 90% Silver dollar "junk" routinely goes for twenty percent above melt. I think, however, that there is alot of territory to be had up to and in the 40's before we reach $50.00 and higher. But the future looks silvery bright!
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:18 am

Last week I sold 200 Canadian 80% quarters on eBay for only 83% of melt value, $850. Then FeeBay took $61, and Paypal took $24, and shipping w/insurance was $15.

I'm done with eBay.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby aristobolus » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:53 am

IdahoCopper wrote:Last week I sold 200 Canadian 80% quarters on eBay for only 83% of melt value, $850. Then FeeBay took $61, and Paypal took $24, and shipping w/insurance was $15.

I'm done with eBay.

Sorry that happened. Did you have them listed under Canadian Quarters only? Sometimes it pays off to list such a lot under either Silver Bullion, or even under U.S. Quarters. But I understand your frustration.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby 97guns » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:54 am

IdahoCopper wrote:Last week I sold 200 Canadian 80% quarters on eBay for only 83% of melt value, $850. Then FeeBay took $61, and Paypal took $24, and shipping w/insurance was $15.

I'm done with eBay.

i dont know why that is but it does seem to happen to me too. when spot hit 26 i sold off some spare junk dimes and quarters. i sold around 10 lots and did not get over spot on any of them. just this weekend i was buying morgan/peace dollars and had to bid $2 above spot to win anything.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:18 am

Not sure what to do with my Canadian face silver, I have a couple thousand dollars I'm sitting on from years ago... suppose I will just hold it until silver hits a hundred an ounce or so, by then all forms of junk will be in much greater demand. The only trouble with Canadian is just that people aren't as familiar with it, so it limits your market. As far as the original post goes, yeah, newbies on ebay are bidding up the junk, in all forms. Part of the reason for that is the use of the various rebates and discounts available, which pretty much allow you to go five percent above melt and still get it at spot. But we're seeing backwardation on ebay too, people are willing to pay a bit more just to have the silver, never knowing if it will still be available down the road... and thus too nervous to await the possibility of a pullback. I ordered rounds from three private mints a month ago and was just notified that one of them just shipped. Tulving has decent prices, but their minimums are too high for dollar cost avging.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:59 pm

beauanderos wrote:The only trouble with Canadian is just that people aren't as familiar with it,
I tend to shy away from Canadians because the "unsilver" looks exactly like the silver. I gotta get one of those scales and put together a notebook.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals