Morgan Dollars at $2 under spot, collector value going away?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Morgan Dollars at $2 under spot, collector value going away?

Postby camtender » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:57 pm

I found local dealer that is selling Morgans at $2 under melt. I purchased about 40 last week for $25 and some this week at $26 each. I purchased all the ones from the late 1800's that are in great condition.

Seems like collector value has gone out the door. Is this a chance of a lifetime right now in this environment to buy collector coins for no more value than the metal content?
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Re: Morgan Dollars at $2 under spot, collector value going a

Postby barrytrot » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:09 pm

camtender wrote:I found local dealer that is selling Morgans at $2 under melt. I purchased about 40 last week for $25 and some this week at $26 each. I purchased all the ones from the late 1800's that are in great condition.

Seems like collector value has gone out the door. Is this a chance of a lifetime right now in this environment to buy collector coins for no more value than the metal content?

Collector coins are BU and/or Better date.

"Great condition" unless you mean MS63 or above is still just bullion grade.

Plus your dealer is selling them way under what most are. You are just getting a bargain, be thankful :)
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Yes you are getting a deal. I was just at my dealer today. All his common date and poorer grade Morgans started at $30.00 and went up from there.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby VWBEAMER » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:51 pm

I know a guy that claims he SOLD some to a dealer for 25 last week.....IDK, I had offered him 24 each, so maybe he just didn't want to take my offer.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:58 pm

camtender wrote:I found local dealer that is selling Morgans at $2 under melt.

Back up the truck and buy all that he has.

camtender wrote:Seems like collector value has gone out the door.

Kinda but no, premiums are in a lag phase vs spot. But, look at how much the common date MS 64 has moved on this last issue of the greysheet. (knee jerk type response to spot). People are catching on but there are still some great bargains out there; especially in 65, 63, and 62 morgans.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Heartkill » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:51 pm

I dunno but I'm finding myself buying more and more nice Morgan's that in the past several years I would have looked over or passed on at their price point. I just picked up a bunch of very nice MS62ish O-mints for $34-35 each. Granted it's over spot, but its close enough for me to add some quality coins to my collection.

In my opinion this is a good buying opportunity to add some depth to my collection and silver stash at the same time. I believe I'll be looking back this time next year saying to myself "why didn't I buy MORE at that price?!"
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby zerocd » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:07 pm

Buy all you can at that price!
zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverFossil64 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Buy all you can at $2 under spot. Would expect no trouble selling close to spot, and you may get lucky and find something nice.
SilverFossil64

Postby PreservingThePast » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:30 am

Be careful......if something seems too good to be true........There are quite a lot of fake coins circulating within the US and the world.

Articles written about it in coin magazines, online coin reference sites, etc. Two years ago when I attended my first coin show I watched in fascination as a coin expert did measurements on counterfeited "off center" US Pennies prior to the article appearing at CONECA.

I firmly believe that as the price of silver increases the saying Buyer, Beware will be more and more the norm.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby twentybux » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:39 am

PreservingThePast wrote:Be careful......if something seems too good to be true........There are quite a lot of fake coins circulating within the US and the world.

Articles written about it in coin magazines, online coin reference sites, etc. Two years ago when I attended my first coin show I watched in fascination as a coin expert did measurements on counterfeited "off center" US Pennies prior to the article appearing at CONECA.

I firmly believe that as the price of silver increases the saying Buyer, Beware will be more and more the norm.

Very good advice. In this day and time this advice should be taken to heart. :)
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby camtender » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:56 am

$2 under spot is a good deal, $10 under spot would be a significant red flag.

I only buy from reputable people most of the time. Can a fake silver coin give off the same resonance as silver?

This post was about collector value, not fake coins, please search for that discussion using the search feature.
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:29 am

The quick rise in sliver has left any "collector premium" on junk silver coins in the dust. Buyers of junk silver coins are buying them for silver in this market. Not to fill in holes in a whitman folder.

Key date coins will almost always command some level of premium. Because collectors would be willing to pay up for them. However, junk will always be junk and only worth the silver in them.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:45 am

camtender wrote:$2 under spot is a good deal, $10 under spot would be a significant red flag.

I only buy from reputable people most of the time. Can a fake silver coin give off the same resonance as silver?

This post was about collector value, not fake coins, please search for that discussion using the search feature.

Fake "collectible coins" confiscated at a coin show that were being sold by a reputable dealer within the "norm price range" so as not to raise a red flag.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals