EBAY Foreign SILVER - My Finds Today

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

EBAY Foreign SILVER - My Finds Today

Postby Country » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:42 pm

I found some goodies today in foreign SILVER on EBAY. :mrgreen:

3 GB 1819 Crowns (somewhat worn) that have 2.5227 ASW (.8409 each) for $52.50 SHIPPED - $20.81 SILVER at this price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260756509580

2 Hungary 1938 5 Pengo Crowns that have 1.0288 ASW for $17.50 SHIPPED - $17.01 SILVER at this price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260756513043

3 Netherlands 2.5 Gulden (1933-1938) that have .5787 ASW each for $47.58 SHIPPED - $27.40 SILVER at this price (not quite as good as the other 2 buys, ALL from the same seller).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260756505061
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: EBAY Foreign SILVER - My Finds Today

Postby frugalcanuck » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:59 pm

makes me want to learn more about foreign silver coins
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby abc » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:07 pm

Very nice. There are some deals still out there. But it seems like a seller market on ebay lately.
abc
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:02 pm

Country, do you search for specific foreign coins that you have in mind and browse through the results? Or do you do a more general search? I know very little about foreign coins. Thanks.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby twentybux » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:39 pm

scrapper2010 wrote:Country, do you search for specific foreign coins that you have in mind and browse through the results? Or do you do a more general search? I know very little about foreign coins. Thanks.

Kind of wondering the same here too. Would you have any related literature that could assist in the foreign coin field? I have only been on the prowl for the U.S. goodies. :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HPMBTT » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:45 pm

Very nice; good score. :)

Question for this thread. I have been studying foreign coins (with silver content) for several weeks now so that I can go prepared to the next several coin shows etc and look at dealers' junk boxes. Assuming we throw out the common countries/zones that all dealers are aware of and pull (ie Euro/GB Pound/Canada), I was planning on searching for (and have researched) silver content with the following lesser-known countries:

Germany (Deutchland, Third Reich, Demokratic Republic etc)
Switzerland (Helvetica, Franc etc)
Mexico (although dealers may know of these too)
older GB stuff (ie Shilling. Although most dealers probably know these too)

I also like the idea of going after foreign (silver) coins that are not written in English. :)

I would like some feedback here...for silver, do you think these may be good countries to go after in the dealer's foreign junkbox? Which countries would you add to the search and why? For those who have searched, what are your experiences/finds? What did you find the most/least of? I may even open a new thread on this subject, as I have been thinking about this for awhile. Any thoughts are appreciated.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Country » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:24 pm

abc wrote:Very nice. There are some deals still out there. But it seems like a seller market on ebay lately.

Yes it is. However, the smart buyer can get deals in foreign SILVER at less than spot. I think it's crazy the way ASEs are being pumped at spot+3 or better. Now, you've got to realize that CURRENTLY most folks don't recognize foreign SILVER and if you have to sell your stash you're not gonna get spot for the foreign. Essentials: Krause World Coins - take an old copy along with you at the shows and a calculator to figure the SILVER content. I don't go to many coin shows, but you'all may. So, bring what you need to bring (unless of course, you get real good at have most of the stuff memorized).

IMHO, if SILVER goes to unthinkable levels, more people will seek out foreign SILVER, not only for the SILVER content, but for the scarcity of these coins.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Country » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:29 pm

scrapper2010 wrote:Country, do you search for specific foreign coins that you have in mind and browse through the results? Or do you do a more general search? I know very little about foreign coins. Thanks.

I do a GENERAL search, and specific searches on countries I like, for foreign SILVER. I'm very flexible and seek out the best deals at the lowest spot price. I find less competition for foreign SILVER because coin-knowledge is necessary when seeking these out. Be careful, and be smart, because some sellers can list stuff incorrectly.
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Country » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:40 pm

HPMBTT wrote:Very nice; good score. :)

Question for this thread. I have been studying foreign coins (with silver content) for several weeks now so that I can go prepared to the next several coin shows etc and look at dealers' junk boxes. Assuming we throw out the common countries/zones that all dealers are aware of and pull (ie Euro/GB Pound/Canada), I was planning on searching for (and have researched) silver content with the following lesser-known countries:

Germany (Deutchland, Third Reich, Demokratic Republic etc)
Switzerland (Helvetica, Franc etc)
Mexico (although dealers may know of these too)
older GB stuff (ie Shilling. Although most dealers probably know these too)

I also like the idea of going after foreign (silver) coins that are not written in English. :)

I would like some feedback here...for silver, do you think these may be good countries to go after in the dealer's foreign junkbox? Which countries would you add to the search and why? For those who have searched, what are your experiences/finds? What did you find the most/least of? I may even open a new thread on this subject, as I have been thinking about this for awhile. Any thoughts are appreciated.

The finds I posted here are good ones. It takes time and then luck to get good deals and they're all not this good. I try not to pay any more than spot-10%, but I try to do much better than that. Sometimes, I'll pay spot, but it's got to be a real nice coin that I want to obtain.

At first, I'd suggest concentrating on one or two countries. Get real familiar with what's the good stuff. Know the difference between the 92.5 sterling coins and the 50% SILVER coins. Know the SILVER coins from the copper-nickel coins. Personally, the higher the fineness SILVER content, the more saleable your coins will be at a later date. I'd stay away from the 10%-40% stuff (Mexican and Scandanavian countries). However, don't shy away from good SILVER deals with European coins that may come your way.

Good Luck...
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby scrapper2010 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:16 pm

Country thanks for the solid advice, I'll do some more research before I start to buy foreign.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Snake42 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:23 pm

thanks for the knowledge dude.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals