40% or 90% Halves?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

40% or 90% Halves?

Postby mr18 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:17 am

I would like some opinions on this subject. Today I can go prchase 100 40% halves at 5.15 each. The 90% halves are no less than 13.00 each no matter how many you buy and morgans/peace you cannot touch under 32.00 today. What would you guys do? Silver is silver, right?
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Re: 40% or 90% Halves?

Postby 97guns » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:27 am

theres alot of guys that dont like 40%, i just added 600 of them a couple of weeks ago because of the price and that fact that my stack was lacking them. i was snagging them for around $4.50-4.75, worked out to around $4 unders spot so it was a no brainer for me.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby Treetop » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:32 am

Personally i think the fact its so easy to find under spot explains in a nutshell why Id rather not stack it. youll sell it under spot as well, usually as much under as you found it for it sees. Of course .999 trades over spot so that goes both ways..... 90% is my vehicle of choice...
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby exbingoaddict » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:08 am

Once again I relate my sit down with my Jedi Master, Darth Smelter (metal industry veteran).The question was posted, .999 bullion or 90% coin?

His thoughts, if silver keeps rising, you've going to have a discount on the price of 90% silver coin because of backups with smelting and refining. The market could be flooded with 90% coin (40% forget it! nobody will even want to bother with it). So .999 bullion rounds, bars, whatever, would be the way to go.

As always though he advised, watch your premiums in whatever you buy.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:39 am

no morgans or peace under 32? Is this what its like where you guys are at? Are you in a rural area?I think coin shops in cities have offerings at or near melt more because they deal in higher volume than a rural coin shop.IM in New Orleans,and my local guy can beat that.Ill go check today actually,cause weve had a good run up on price this week,and post later.
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:38 pm

Checked out the coinshop.lots and lots of peace and morgans at 30.00 each.Bought 3 tarnished loose ASES for spot.
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby DeanStockwell » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:56 pm

90's, unless you get a real good price on 40's.
Most people do not consider dawn to be an attractive experience - unless they are still awake.
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 999Ni » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:14 pm

90% better, but you need some 40% in ur stak too!
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby OtusLotus » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:43 pm

Silver is silver, just as a munchkin is the same as a donut!

Go with the 90%!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mr18 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:53 pm

just what i was thinking, its good to diversify. 1/5 of my silver hoard is 40% kennedies and Ikes. i personlly stack halves, but if under spot deals come up on quarters and dimes, then im game.
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Agreed. Silver is silver, but, the higher the percentage of Ag content, the better the resale/trade value when you need it.

Due to all the conterfeits I am hearing about, I am going for the old 90%'ers.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:10 pm

there are several scenarios where 40percent, silver could be a major impediment. I can think of few 90% would be, and none .999 would be. So why invest in something that even if it does well could be harder to recoup the initial investment?
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SilverFossil64 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Depends on your intended purpose for purchase as well. Lower liquidity in the 40% due to fewer interested parties, however, if have time and patience it can be worthwhile when purchased for a discount to spot. Just don't put capital into 40% that you may need to turnover on short notice because you would likely have to take a hit to move it fast. Also, storage issue -- if storage is no issue for you, that helps, but if space is tight, remember it takes up twice as much space for the same amount of silver.
SilverFossil64

Postby mr18 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:28 pm

please tell me more on the bad 90% investment. you see, i hoard it all, some not to re-sell later since it is for a SHTF type scenerio. but if i want to turn a profit, what would your recommendation be?
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:44 pm

mr18 wrote:please tell me more on the bad 90% investment. you see, i hoard it all, some not to re-sell later since it is for a SHTF type scenerio. but if i want to turn a profit, what would your recommendation be?

Read up the theard. 90% silver would have to be melted and refined to make bullion. If Silver keeps rising, you'll have everybody lined up at refiners doors with Grandma's prized flatware. They'll be in a postion to pay you below spot because they don't need it.

Define the crap hitting the fan for me. What causes it? Why is silver a good buy for it?
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby 97guns » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:33 pm

check out this thread, he got 92% of spot for his war nickels and 40%

https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=78675
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby mr18 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:29 am

97guns, thanks for the link. It is worth buying the 40%, even war nickels at a steep discount.
exbingoaddict,what i understand for CRAP HITTING THE FAN is when there would be a total collapse of the dollar and replaced with another fiat currency or perhaps merging the dollar with other countries. Silver and gold always retain their value. Silver can and is used today in exchange for goods and services. My father has done lots of side jobs where he has been paid in silver with no worries of selling the silver for FRN when needed to.
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 97guns » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:19 am

like i said earlier, i bought some 40% because of the deep discount but my stack is already well established with .999 and 90% so 40% fit in well for me. if i was just starting to stack i would probably opt for .999 or 90% over the 40% offerings.

97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:34 am

mr18 wrote:exbingoaddict,what i understand for CRAP HITTING THE FAN is when there would be a total collapse of the dollar and replaced with another fiat currency or perhaps merging the dollar with other countries. Silver and gold always retain their value. Silver can and is used today in exchange for goods and services. My father has done lots of side jobs where he has been paid in silver with no worries of selling the silver for FRN when needed to.

Mr18, so you're thoughts are is silver is an alternate to the FRN? Ok, I can buy that, I'll give that thumbs up.

There's a pet peeve I have when people throw around the "SHTF" talk. If they mean we're going to have a collapse of civilization, then metal is worthless. It's survival mode, you can't drink gold. You need water, food, shetler, and weapons. I'd rather have the canned fruit then all the silver in the world. In the fallout shelter, the man with the can opener is King.

Now if we're talking inflation hits and dollars keep lowering in value, that I can see. What is the point you seem to be making. US Dollars become more worthless and gold and silver retain value compared to the FRN.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby 97guns » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:43 am

i hate that term cant eat gold, well you cant live in a loaf of bread either. with metals you can buy bread, with bread the only thing you can do with it is eat it.

97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:50 am

exbingoaddict wrote:There's a pet peeve I have when people throw around the "SHTF" talk. If they mean we're going to have a collapse of civilization, then metal is worthless. It's survival mode, you can't drink gold. You need water, food, shetler, and weapons. I'd rather have the canned fruit then all the silver in the world. In the fallout shelter, the man with the can opener is King.

There are an infinite number of SHTF scenarios, depending on how big the dump and how fast it hits what sized fan spinning at what rate, etc. :shock:

If you're prepping, you are probably prepping for several possible scenarios, but unless you've hunkered down in a sealed self-sufficient fall-out shelter in the middle of rural Montana there is always one that you can't prepare for. (And even in that one, you'd be toast if the big meteor hit you dead-on...) ;)

The most common prepping is I think for something on the order of a worthless dollar, with economic collapse, socio-policital issues, and some limited possible lawlessness. For that 90% silver has huge value.

Complete loss of civilization adds several other dimensions that are frankly impossible for most of the population to prepare for. Don't like to think about that, but I keep that one in mind as well. For that one silver doesn't help much.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby exbingoaddict » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:46 pm

68Camaro wrote:There are an infinite number of SHTF scenarios, depending on how big the dump and how fast it hits what sized fan spinning at what rate, etc. :shock:

If you're prepping, you are probably prepping for several possible scenarios, but unless you've hunkered down in a sealed self-sufficient fall-out shelter in the middle of rural Montana there is always one that you can't prepare for. (And even in that one, you'd be toast if the big meteor hit you dead-on...) ;)

The most common prepping is I think for something on the order of a worthless dollar, with economic collapse, socio-policital issues, and some limited possible lawlessness. For that 90% silver has huge value.

Complete loss of civilization adds several other dimensions that are frankly impossible for most of the population to prepare for. Don't like to think about that, but I keep that one in mind as well. For that one silver doesn't help much.

68Camaro, good point on the different scenarios. And a another good reason not to live in major urban centers. ;)

The case I'm trying to make is, that if an small armageddon event hits, metal is potentially worthless What are you going to do with it? And who wants it? Trying to be rational here. If an event occurs that takes down the grid for a period of time (anybone remember Hurricane Katrina?) You're better off having bottled water then all the gold in South America. When it comes down to daily survival, nobody is too worried about making gold jewelry or making computer harddrives with it.

Now, if hyper inflation comes to bat. Once again I agree here, that gold and/or silver could retain value and become the new "hard" currency as paper dollars are worthless.

In a nutshell, people mostly buy gold as A) hedge against inflation and B) the end of the world. A makes sense to me. B it's pointless. That's just the case I'm making and I'll step of of my soapbox now. :P
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:54 pm

exbingoaddict wrote:In a nutshell, people mostly buy gold as A) hedge against inflation and B) the end of the world. A makes sense to me. B it's pointless. That's just the case I'm making and I'll step of of my soapbox now. :P

Perhaps we agree... believe it or not ;)

I buy PM for A. I stock my shelves, buy supplies, ammo, etc - for the things between A and B. But full-blown B - that can't really be prepared for (in my opinion).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:55 pm

But we digress... :)
68Camaro

Postby exbingoaddict » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:38 pm

68Camaro wrote:Perhaps we agree... believe it or not ;)

I buy PM for A. I stock my shelves, buy supplies, ammo, etc - for the things between A and B. But full-blown B - that can't really be prepared for (in my opinion).

Believe we fully agree. Must be our Eagle Scout ways. ;)
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals