The "Bears" are back 15kg of silver in a Tomahawk missile?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

The "Bears" are back 15kg of silver in a Tomahawk missile?

Postby Delawhere Jack » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:54 pm

Check out what silver bear says at 2:30.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/embed/fzyXn8t0plM[/youtube]

That seems like an awful lot of silver per missile. Must be a lot in the batteries if it's true. Can anyone confirm/debunk?
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Re: The "Bears" are back 15kg of silver in a Tomahawk missil

Postby psi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:31 pm

There doesn't seem to be much on the net aside from that 15 kg figure being repeated in a few different places like forums, some were suggesting that part of that could be wiring too. The silver oxide battery article mentions military applications including torpedos specifically, makes sense that they would need a lot of stored electrical power if it's used in propulsion. What's the biggest power drain in a cruise missile?
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:27 pm

probably it's radar, telemetry, electro-servos for the fins, and.....IIITYIHTKU.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:29 pm

IIITYIHTKU?

Help on this one please
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:41 pm

It's a <3000 lb missile. I don't know the details of tomahawk - if I did I couldn't talk about it, but in general missile design while there would normally be small amounts of silver used in various components and things I can't talk about, this seems high by a factor of at least ten (if not a hundred), for that size of a missile system. The main battery will be a thermal battery which uses no silver. Whoever put this one together is spouting off on things about which they know nothing.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:42 pm

Thogey wrote:IIITYIHTKU?

Help on this one please

If I told you I'd have to kill you...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:47 pm

It's OK!

I was a MM III combat crew commander. (TS-SIOP ESI security clearance). I know a little about missiles.

What is IIITYIHTKU?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby 97guns » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:02 pm

i used to make the minute man 3rd stage motor untill we had a couple of explosions and the air force pulled the contract from us.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby psi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:44 pm

Wow, the silverseek thread on this topic seems to just be pages and pages of trollery, not sure if that's typical for that site.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:01 pm

Thogey wrote:It's OK!

I was a MM III combat crew commander. (TS-SIOP ESI security clearance). I know a little about missiles.

What is IIITYIHTKU?

Apparently I'm also an idiot (AIAAI)

If I Told You I'd Have To Kill U..got it
Thogey

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:10 pm

Thogey wrote:

What is IIITYIHTKU?

Well I've had my moments also, as you will know if you've read some of my posts - we need an "I'm an Idiot" smiley... Anyone graphically talented?
68Camaro

Postby tn-dave » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Don't feel bad Thogey. That went right over my head too. 15kg is a bunch of silver..!!
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:17 am

When I read the title, I imagined this:

cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BOHICA » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:34 pm

I was an EOD tech in the military and back in the mid 90's we took apart an old Terrier missile that was damaged and we ended up gutting it to make a display out of it. After throwing all of the wiring into the trash something just didn't look right. I stripped some of the insulation off and foun that all of it was pure silver. I kept it all and used it to make jewelry for the next several years. I wish now I'd kept it. I was told that they did that (silver wiring) for all of the missiles that were nuclear capable.
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:47 pm

BOHICA wrote:I was an EOD tech in the military and back in the mid 90's we took apart an old Terrier missile that was damaged and we ended up gutting it to make a display out of it. After throwing all of the wiring into the trash something just didn't look right. I stripped some of the insulation off and foun that all of it was pure silver. I kept it all and used it to make jewelry for the next several years. I wish now I'd kept it. I was told that they did that (silver wiring) for all of the missiles that were nuclear capable.

Most Terriers were non-nuke; only one model had a small nuke warhead. I will take your statement on the wire at face-value, but I'm not aware of solid silver wire being used as conductors in anything except the magnets used for atomic enrichment during WWII, which was because of diversion of copper to the other efforts at the time. However, it is common to use silver-plated copper wire, defective plating on this which is a source of a major corrosion problem that the DoD has been dealing with for decades.
68Camaro

Postby BOHICA » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:05 pm

I'm sure that the wire wasn't plated. It might have been an alloy, but it sure was pretty.
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:12 pm

There is a lot of gold and silver plating in all military electronics. Most connectors are gold plated , while most ground or contact strips are solid stainless or silver plated copper.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:40 pm

15 kg sounded way high to me, but of course there is still going to be a lot of silver in those things I'm guessing. Maybe 15 kg for every salvo of 10 or 12 - I might believe that.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:32 pm

68Camaro wrote:
Thogey wrote:

What is IIITYIHTKU?

Well I've had my moments also, as you will know if you've read some of my posts - we need an "I'm an Idiot" smiley... Anyone graphically talented?

I guess this kinda looks like Eric Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:39 pm

That's good - can we get that added to the smiley list?
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:55 pm

If I thought the mods wouldn't remove a image of male genitalia, than I would have posted a picture of Ray.

But, that Imagewould be a good addition to the smiley menu. As I am not proud we can call it the Thogey apparently I am am idiot(AIAAI) smiley.
Thogey

Postby TXBullion » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:17 pm

Thogey wrote:If I thought the mods wouldn't remove a image of male genitalia, than I would have posted a picture of Ray.

But, that Imagewould be a good addition to the smiley menu. As I am not proud we can call it the Thogey apparently I am am idiot(AIAAI) smiley.

Does this mean you are officially in with the smiley thing?
TXBullion

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:48 am

zerohedge is a very irreverent site. the 15kg of silver is a throwaway fact - it may be true, it may be false, it may have been made up for dramatic effect. the reason to buy silver is not because we just shot off a bunch of missles or that they each have a monster box worth of silver in them (some members probably have more silver than we shot at Libya, after all).

I too thought the number sounded high.

don't take your eye off the ball.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:38 am

Thogey wrote:If I thought the mods wouldn't remove a image of male genitalia, than I would have posted a picture of Ray.

Oh - regardless of name - it would get used by others. Reference the need for it with regard to me just a few weeks ago... :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4383&p=40316#p40164

(Time flies, actually it was only 6 days ago!...)
68Camaro

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:17 am

cesariojpn wrote:When I read the title, I imagined this:

a"Bear"......ever since i was a 19 year old sailor (1979) i always wanted to shoot one of those down....don't know why, guess i dont like Russkies.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals