The Floating Dollar

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

The Floating Dollar

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:45 pm

To understand why AG & Au must be given as much priority as possible...

I like this guy's reasoning.

The Floating Dollar as a Threat to Property Rights

Seth Lipsky, Founding Editor, New York Sun

The question I invite you to consider for a moment is what would happen if we just let the kilogram float? This is a question that was posed in an editorial last week in the New York Sun. After all, the editorial said, we let the dollar float. The creation of dollars, and the status of the dollar as legal tender, is a matter of fiat. Its value is adjusted by the mandarins at the Federal Reserve, depending on variables they only sometimes share with the rest of the world. This would have floored the Framers of our Constitution, who granted Congress the power to coin money and regulate its value in the same sentence in which they gave it the power to fix the standard of weights and measures—like, say, the aforementioned kilogram.

Read the whole article here:
http://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2011&month=02
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: The Floating Dollar

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:25 am

forgive me for being flippant, but when you mentioned "floating dollar", i was thinking of paper fiat floating in a toilet bowl after having been used as a wipe..

i'm sorry, it was a reflexive thought.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby aristobolus » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:54 am

Proverbs 31:1 A false balance is an abomination to the LORD,
But a just weight is His delight.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:07 am

neilgin1 wrote:forgive me for being flippant, but when you mentioned "floating dollar", i was thinking of paper fiat floating in a toilet bowl after having been used as a wipe..

i'm sorry, it was a reflexive thought.

No need to apologize. That's exactly what I think the ultimate fate of our FRNs will be.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:11 am

aristobolus wrote:Proverbs 31:1 A false balance is an abomination to the LORD,
But a just weight is His delight.

Thanks for that reference. And I can find silver and gold mentioned in the Bible but have yet to locate any verses extolling the use of fiat money.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby psi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:29 am

I guess you could argue that the current monetary system is based around usury, a concept that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention these days.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:11 pm

neilgin1 wrote:i'm sorry, it was a reflexive thought.
Great minds think alike.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Verbane » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:24 pm

I got this article in Imprimis , a monthly news letter from Hilllsdale College. Rush Limbaugh pushes this one. Its free, you'll receive a couple donation requests by mail but otherwise a great and relevant read every month. You can get it here: https://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/subs_new.asp

Hillsdale is a private conservative thinking college that accepts NO Fed funding.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:12 pm

Verbane wrote:I got this article in Imprimis , a monthly news letter from Hilllsdale College. Rush Limbaugh pushes this one. Its free, you'll receive a couple donation requests by mail but otherwise a great and relevant read every month. You can get it here: https://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/subs_new.asp

Hillsdale is a private conservative thinking college that accepts NO Fed funding.

I originally received the full article in an email from my Dad, a guy so strong on the Constitution he makes Limbaugh look like a flaming liberal. So I went looking for the source and found it at Hillsdale (as evidenced by the link address) among other places.

We need more colleges like Hillsdale.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Tommybee » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:41 pm

I graduated from Hillsdale in 1991. I am very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to obtain my undergraduate degree from such a fine institution. I received a classic liberal education at Hillsdale. My friends who went to state schools got an indoctrination in the politics of the hard left: multiculturalism, moral relativism and the nihilism that inevitably follows.

As I'm sure there are many advocates of the Austrian school on this site, I would also note that HIllsdale is the home of the Ludwig Von Mises Library.
Tommybee

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals