Storage?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Storage?

Postby justj2k78 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:46 pm

Question to all - how do you store your silver? Do you do anything special?
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Storage?

Postby timmus0382 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:09 pm

I put mine in the bank vault. I seperate rounds by type and place them in tubes of 20. Some of the 1 oz. bars that I have just get thrown in the pile . The guy I buy from says the tarnish will not take away from the silver value. If you are dealing with numis I would say air tight cases. I have a couple of Eagles that have some really nice tone and I want them to stay like that so those went into air tight cases. MY ms-69 Eagle set is in NGC cases. I think silver prices will soon be getting to the point where they are meating numis prices so I started buying mint proof Eagles for $50-55 each, hey its better to grab the Mint proofs now at $50-55 for numis value than to pay $60 or $70 when BU's are selling for that. Id grab all the mint proofs you can right now while they are in the low 50 rangs. Then you dont have to worry about storing them the mint does it for you!
Name me one investment where you gain at least 50% the second you purchase it and never have a chance to lose the initial investment.
timmus0382
Penny Pincher Member

Postby involuntary tentacle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:54 pm

no matter how you store it, make sure you have PHYSICAL ACCESS to it.
if you cant touch it, you do not own it.
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rosco » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:33 am

involuntary tentacle wrote:no matter how you store it, make sure you have PHYSICAL ACCESS to it.

If you can''t hold it your missing a thrill 8-)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby thedrifter » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:45 am

involuntary tentacle wrote:no matter how you store it, make sure you have PHYSICAL ACCESS to it.

I put mine in the bank vault. Timmus0382 remember if your bank goesTU your FRN's won't be the only thing that won't be able to get until the "Regulators" in the "FDIC" say you can.
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Postby timmus0382 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:57 am

I guess I'll take it out then. But then I have to find a place to keep it in the house. If anyone ever broke in and found my stash I would be seriously in trouble.
Name me one investment where you gain at least 50% the second you purchase it and never have a chance to lose the initial investment.
timmus0382
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Treetop » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:07 am

I keep mine in my hollow leg.... its to bad we all couldnt post 100 percent anonymously for a single thread. I bet theres a lot of neat ideas folks here use to store their metals.....
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:34 am

Treetop wrote:I keep mine in my hollow leg.... its to bad we all couldnt post 100 percent anonymously for a single thread. I bet theres a lot of neat ideas folks here use to store their metals.....

If you own your own home and don't need to get to your stash for a long time... take off a piece of sheetrock and store in between wall studs, preferably in an area that a pipe descends thru the middle, and then sheet it back up. Same thing is possible in garage, then set something incredibly heavy in front of the affected area. Gain access beneath your bathtub, plenty of room there. Crawl under your house and bury it. Go up in your attic and hide it beneath insulation. Don't put everything in one spot. Hide in plain site, inside a plastic bag beneath laundry detergent. Depends how much you have, the more there is the harder it is to hide. If thieves break in, even if they suspect you have silver, they are going to look in the quick easy spots, not take time to tear the place apart like cops looking for the murder weapon.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby barrytrot » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:37 am

beauanderos wrote:
Treetop wrote:I keep mine in my hollow leg.... its to bad we all couldnt post 100 percent anonymously for a single thread. I bet theres a lot of neat ideas folks here use to store their metals.....

If you own your own home and don't need to get to your stash for a long time... take off a piece of sheetrock and store in between wall studs, preferably in an area that a pipe descends thru the middle, and then sheet it back up. Same thing is possible in garage, then set something incredibly heavy in front of the affected area. Gain access beneath your bathtub, plenty of room there. Crawl under your house and bury it. Go up in your attic and hide it beneath insulation. Don't put everything in one spot. Hide in plain site, inside a plastic bag beneath laundry detergent. Depends how much you have, the more there is the harder it is to hide. If thieves break in, even if they suspect you have silver, they are going to look in the quick easy spots, not take time to tear the place apart like cops looking for the murder weapon.

Ah yes, the old mafia standby, money in the walls :)
barrytrot

Postby slvrbck » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:14 am

Just finished total remod of my master bath and got the drywall up in my kitchen. . . the are metals between the studs in both.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby BamaJoe » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:18 am

beauanderos wrote:

Beauanderos covered it pretty well. Get creative. Whenever I repair, build or remodel something I always consider what kind of hidden compartments I can incorporate into the project.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:58 am

If you do get creative with hiding stuff... don't outsmart yourself. Also get a small safe, and stick it in the back of a closet with some stuff piled on top and in front of it. This is the red herring. Maybe keep an insignificant amount of silver there, that you wouldn't mind losing. If someone who knows you have silver finds a safe, this will most likely satisfy them, if not, then they WILL tear things apart looking until they DO find something. 8-)
beauanderos

Postby Treetop » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:02 pm

Theres an amount of my silver someone could feasibly find, as i need some close by when i need a shiny fix. Most of it though i highly doubt anyone could ever find, even if they had a solid week and my neighbors werent around.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:39 pm

I take the bulk of it that I holding for long term and remotely bury it off site in an army surplus ammo can that I put in several layers of contractor bags. That way not even the man tearing up my house and yard will not find it. Also if the banks ever take a holiday or become even bigger thieves than they already are I am still safe. I also have a pirate obsession. ;) I keep smaller amounts around the house that I like to trade with but I do have a nice guard dog for protection. She is one of the family and very well trained.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Diggin4copper » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:55 pm

Do NOT keep it on your boat.. I had a nice stash going until the boating accident.....
70 feet of water, dangerous riptides, sharks......
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thedrifter » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:16 pm

Here is a storage question for you guys. I live in Oregon, but have family in a small Colorado town. In the town there is a vacant bank building for sale. I don't know much about the building except that the vaults are untouched. I could conceivably afford to buy the building but it would wipout about half of the value of my hoard. My family think I am crazy with the whole gold, silver, copper, prepper thing. So they really are not available for funding partnerships. My question is; is this an effiecent or effective use of my funds?
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:49 pm

thedrifter wrote:Here is a storage question for you guys. I live in Oregon, but have family in a small Colorado town. In the town there is a vacant bank building for sale. I don't know much about the building except that the vaults are untouched. I could conceivably afford to buy the building but it would wipout about half of the value of my hoard. My family think I am crazy with the whole gold, silver, copper, prepper thing. So they really are not available for funding partnerships. My question is; is this an effiecent or effective use of my funds?

I think we need to know what you plan to do with the building and/or vault after you close on the deal to be able to respond.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:59 pm

I think we need to know what you plan to do with the building and/or vault after you close on the deal to be able to respond.[/quote]

You need to have a plan for the building not just to store your goodies because without an alarm tied to police . An ambitious theft has time to drill thru walls an get to your stash.
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:06 pm

thedrifter wrote:Here is a storage question for you guys. I live in Oregon, but have family in a small Colorado town. In the town there is a vacant bank building for sale. (snip)

Zoning and architecture - Could you use the building for some other purpose as well? How easily could it be converted into a family dwelling? Is this your bug out location? What sort of neighborhood is it in? Big city downtown, small town outskirts?

Lack of family support on this subject is a real negative, but not, IMO, a deal killer.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:16 pm

timmus0382 wrote:I guess I'll take it out then. But then I have to find a place to keep it in the house. If anyone ever broke in and found my stash I would be seriously in trouble.

Thats why you don't draw attention to yourself, never state what you have to anyone outside of a few trusted folks, and ample security measures. A simple "Protected by XXXXX Security Company" sign in the front yard and stickers in windows are a cheap yet effective deterrent.

beauanderos wrote:

Yeah, think :outside of the box," but don't exactly forget!!
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby justj2k78 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:28 pm

LOL you guys have some serious ideas. The security issue is not a big one for me at this point. I have 2 large dogs and a yapper and a safe double-bolted to the floor... not to mention 2 silver dimes as the entirety of my silver "hoard". :D More is on the way.

For now, I'm asking more on how you all "preserve" your silver - not how you keep it free from sticky fingers. If that makes any more sense!
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:37 pm

If you only have two dimes, you could keep them in plastic flips for the time being, or "card" them. If it's just bullion junk, I just roll them in paper, but you could keep them in plastic tubes as well. The square-sided tubes are very easy to stack.
beauanderos

Postby Mossy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:41 pm

cesariojpn wrote:Thats why you don't draw attention to yourself, never state what you have to anyone outside of a few trusted folks, and ample security measures.

(Aside from ex-wives) the problem is generally not the ones you trust, but the ones /they/ trust.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:43 pm

If you are putting it in your walls be sure to take it out when you leave. I know of many stories of people finding others old stashes when renovation their homes.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BamaJoe » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:23 pm

Got to mention the best one I've personally seen. Take a hog pen with 20 or so hogs. Remove hogs and use backhole to dig trench to drain pen. Use backhole to dig hole roughly 10 feet deep then insert well protected pm's. Fill hole and drainage ditch, put hogs back. PM's now covered by about 10 feet of dirt and a couple feet of mud and hog crap, not to mention some mean ass hogs. No, not mine, but I actually saw the operation. It's actually a relative of mine.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals